DOM Rework Ideas/etc

Rophs

I am currently trying to design a more balanced and fluid version of Dan's quest/adventure known as DOM, but there are a few problems with it.

Things I plan on changing:

• You may only move one location per phase
  • Characters start with more AGI
  • Map is much smaller, think floating islands with portals connecting them
  • Add a spell/item that lets you open permanent portals between islands (portal ganks :D)

What should the new DOM map look like? I don't mean aesthetics, I mean how many locations, how the locations should be connected, etc. A great deal of how the game is played will heavily depend upon the map. Should there be special effects at certain locations? Perhaps one location might immolate?

Link to DOM ----> http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13983-dom-first-experience/

Vanilla DOM modlist:

[spoiler]

Basic character: 100hp,0mp,3def,8att, 1mvt,1agi,0range
when you are to choose a mod, any of the following can be choose, given that you have its lower tier.

+Spring:+1mvt->Windwalk:+1mvt +1agi->Time stands still (TTS):your first action or movement happens in phrase 0

+Thick skinned:+2 def -> Iron skin:+3def -> action-reaction:you gain The bump!:unearthly strength, be able to push a character 1 scene back , and reflecting:each time a character use strike on you, you dealt to them damage=your_def - their_def

+bow: you gain shoot:rg=1, use "shoot [character] at [scene]" to deal range damage to target> upgraded bow:you gain shoot:rg=2, use "shoot [character] at [scene]" to deal range damage to targe > hawkeye:+1rg your range attack ignores target's defence

+precision:+3att > deadly blow:+4att >break-point:+1agi, +2att, and each strike do {effect:-1def}

+poison: each hit adds poisoned{1} to your target>toxic: each hit adds poisoned{2} to your target > virus:immune{poisoned}, and each hit adds infected{5} to your target
-Edited- Poisoned is stackable. Poisoned{X} means at the end of each turncharacter loses X hp.
-Edited- Infected{X} means that character and everyone share the same scene with him have poisoned{max(1,X/n)}, with n the total number ofcharacter in that scene.
-Edited- characters will lose poisoned when they move away from the infected character.

+healthy: +50hp > giant:+100hp > Gaia's blessing: IF you have been at the same scene for X turns, have: [regeneration:+X hp/turn]

+pole-arme: sweep attack: deals damage divided evenly to each character in the same scene as you > upgraded pole-arm: deals (your attack) to each character in the same scene as you > Skillful pikeman: choose X characters in the same scene as you, deal (your attack) to each of them.

+sneaky: your move takes priority before attacks > cunning: +2attack +1def > backstabbing: your melee attack ignores defence

+skinny: +1agi,+1mvt,-50Hp

+obese: +2def,+50Hp, -0.5mvt

+Mup the war-ax: {effect:+6attack to melee attack}

+jerk: "inexplicably, other people seem to hate you" +20hp +1def + 1 attack + 5mp

+chivalry: when use guard on another character, the damage dealt to you this way is calculated by damage= (attack)-(your defence)*3

+religious: +10mp,+1mp-regeneration/turns > devoted:+15mp,+1mp-regen/turn > awaken: restrain against doing any melee action, + 20mp,+5mp-regen/turn , and have faith: any damage dealt to you is subtracted from your mp before your hp

+spell: fireball: range=1, damage=5, cost=5. Use "throw fireball at [character] at [scene]" to cast

+spell: trap hole: range=1, cost=5, effect= target unable to move, upkeep=1mp/turn

+agile:+1agi > athletic:+1agi +20hp > champion: +1agi, +1def

+throwing-net: you gain throw net: rg=1,use "throw net on [character] at [scene]" to add disable to [character], the throwing-net will belong to [scene], [character] remains disable as long as the throwing-net belongs to [scene]

+creative: +5mp,+1mp-regen/turn, have build Moving-Armour:cost 5mp, Moving-Armour has: 3hp,7def,5att,mvt=1,agi=3,rg=0, and all the common actions. Each Moving-Armour's actions will cost its controller 1mp. > innovative: +5mp,+1mp-regen/turn, have build Type-A:cost 10mp, Type-A has:1hp, explode, rg=1, when die, every character in range loses 20hp.

+spell: devilish pact: for 10mp, chose 1 living character, any damage you take is divided between you and him, and vice versa.

+leadership: +50hp, +5mp, +3att, +3def, +1mvt, +1agi, +1rg. At the beginning of each turn, choose some characters beside yourself, those characters get inspired during that turn : +2att,+2def, +1mtv, +agi, +1rg. Killing you gives an extra mod

[/spoiler]

What MODs/items would you like to see added/changed?

Rather than using a full map of MD as the DOM map, a map of one or two lands could be used, and the game could be themed around it/them.

Can you draw one up? Maybe a LotE map but with more alleys and secret passages to make the map more "open".

Do not change the mods/items. That'll just change the game.

This is a discussion for a rework. The definition of rework is "make changes to something, especially in order to make it more up to date."

This is a discussion for a rework. The definition of rework is "make changes to something, especially in order to make it more up to date."

So this game/quest/adventure isn't up to date? How?

Would you change Poker or backgammon because they are "out of date"...?

Edited by DARK DEMON

dan changed the game very little in terms of mechanics and game flow. 

"

• Map is much smaller, think floating islands with portals connecting them
  • Add a spell/item that lets you open permanent portals between islands (portal ganks"

this would change the fundamental workings of the game and make the game entirely different, a change of mods is very different to a change of game mechanics, and the mechanics of DOM were actually perfectly okay, the problems the game had, had nothing nothing to do with mechanics, just some of the mods were very much unbalanced and (imo) gave a huge advantage and should be removed if this game is to be played again

Sy

Your poker argument is invalid. There are many types and versions of poker. Hell, if you play weekly with your "gang" or at various shady places chances are each one will have almost unique rules due to various combinations of popular rules with some added house spicy rule or two.

I admit I haven't read whole topic about this, but the bits I skimmed it seems dota-ish type, and you know how often those games change, especially LoL where each monthly patch means huge re-balance which is especially felt on other maps where pro players say it's a completely different game each month. Each balance change shifts focus from one thing to another, flow of game is always changing, yet game still has same playerbase and name. Saying that changing the mods (which are like items in dota) would make the game completely different is nonsense. So when you play D&D in different setting it's entirely another game? Don't think so buddy.

Edit: pretty much what Sy said.

Edited by Ary Endleg

Poker and backgammon are very old games that have stood the test of time. Dan also created a second version of DOM with new mods and some mods changed. Now I am developing DOM 3.0

You are comparing plums and prunes.

That second version was created because there was some OP-ness and necessary changes in the first, and it was done when the game was run.

I strongly suggest that the best mod changes can only be made if you host/run the game again and see if there are more complaints/OP-ness. Otherwise, I believe the mods are perfectly fine.

P.S: Though if I recall, the leadership mod was changed. The "killing gives you another mod" was made part of the general game and not as a mod, the leadership mod remained like this: +leadership: +50hp, +5mp, +3att, +3def, +1mvt, +1agi, +1rg. At the beginning of each turn, choose some characters beside yourself, those characters get inspired during that turn : +2att,+2def, +1mtv, +agi, +1rg.

Your poker argument is invalid. There are many types and versions of poker. Hell, if you play weekly with your "gang" or at various shady places chances are each one will have almost unique rules due to various combinations of popular rules with some added house spicy rule or two.

I admit I haven't read whole topic about this, but the bits I skimmed it seems dota-ish type, and you know how often those games change, especially LoL where each monthly patch means huge re-balance which is especially felt on other maps where pro players say it's a completely different game each month. Each balance change shifts focus from one thing to another, flow of game is always changing, yet game still has same playerbase and name. Saying that changing the mods (which are like items in dota) would make the game completely different is nonsense. So when you play D&D in different setting it's entirely another game? Don't think so buddy.

Edit: pretty much what Sy said.

Dude... this is a typing-strategy game we play through forum PMs.... it's not an actual game like dota/LoL... :)) Those games change because there's a whole lot of money involved, hundreds of thousands players play it worldwide and people want new exciting changes all the time... and in those many million games there are a few bugs/OP-ness discovered :))

And I am fully aware there are different variants of Poker. Rophs isnt trying to make a variant (like kill-frenzy or survival maybe?). He is only trying to fix/change the base game. So you have completely misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Edit: May be off-topic but seriously, they do not and cannot change "items in dota" because it WILL change the game completely and will make thousands of players stop playing. You seriously call it nonsense? Many players leave in protest at each major update anyway, and changing/adding/removing items will cause a huge outcry.

Edited by DARK DEMON

Leadership is going to be removed.

I'm going to rework faith so that at the end of each phase your mana is put into your healthpool, any extra hp is put into your manapool, you regen mana, and then as the final "upkeep" any hp/mp over max is removed and players with less then 0 hp die and are removed from the game.

That second version was created because there was some OP-ness and necessary changes in the first, and it was done when the game was run.

I strongly suggest that the best mod changes can only be made if you host/run the game again and see if there are more complaints/OP-ness. Otherwise, I believe the mods are perfectly fine.

P.S: Though if I recall, the leadership mod was changed. The "killing gives you another mod" was made part of the general game and not as a mod, the leadership mod remained like this: +leadership: +50hp, +5mp, +3att, +3def, +1mvt, +1agi, +1rg. At the beginning of each turn, choose some characters beside yourself, those characters get inspired during that turn : +2att,+2def, +1mtv, +agi, +1rg.

Dude... this is a typing-strategy game we play through forum PMs.... it's not an actual game like dota/LoL... :)) Those games change because there's a whole lot of money involved, hundreds of thousands players play it worldwide and people want new exciting changes all the time... and in those many million games there are a few bugs/OP-ness discovered :))

And I am fully aware there are different variants of Poker. Rophs isnt trying to make a variant (like kill-frenzy or survival maybe?). He is only trying to fix/change the base game. So you have completely misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Edit: May be off-topic but seriously, they do not and cannot change "items in dota" because it WILL change the game completely and will make thousands of players stop playing. You seriously call it nonsense? Many players leave in protest at each major update anyway, and changing/adding/removing items will cause a huge outcry.

I meant it had "similar" mechanics, you pick talents/items/abilities what ever, for your character and then play, doesn't have to be it's own application, sort of like D&D played over webcam :p

But yeah it seems I missed the point where he wants to make tweeks to the game in order for them to become standard. Well basically he can do it, it's forking, you can pick which version you want to play once you will play, and there is always a good chance that before game starts some rules or stuff get changed for that specific game consensually.

Answer to your edit part, yup I know man. For pro player it matters a lot because he needs to readjust, every small change in numbers is huge change for them. My point was that this game isn't hardcoded thing, you can always pick version you want to play, unlike with LoL, just as poker players pick which version of game they play. But I see why my first explanations were bad.

One thing that I remembered talking about with Dan was Weariness. The rules as they stand right now are:

Weariness: if you lose hp during any turn, add the following damage: damage=for k from 1 to n do sum of〖5×(k^2-agi) 〗, with n is the last phase that you do an action.

Weariness is something that definately needs to be changed. It makes killing way too easy. I remember that weariness did more damage then the damage done by an other player. (though I could be wrong about this.) Weariness isn't that bad of an idea, but in my opinion it should be based on percentages. So that it doesn't do more damamge, then the damage that a player/players did to them.

If we'll be starting with more agi I can see where leadership would be removed. Was a bit crazy in the previous games since if you were solid with a collection of people (not in the backstabbing way that usually developed), you could count on having increased everything. It was occasionally really cool at the point when figuring out if the boss would take damage from hitting me but the boss in the second game was evil and way down the line.

Mapwise, a couple lands or using the MDA map (I need to look at the Tribunal map again to see how that would work) would be ok. We sometimes had issues in games where groups hung out quite far away and might take forever a long time to catch up or retreat further.

I'm willing to help with trial runs if you decide to have them and other mod tweaking

Now introducing another crowdsourcing tool to help anyone who wants to help make the map help.

Help draw a DOM map!

I drew a super basic conceptual map with a very open and connected middle with two parts off on the side for potential kiting and ganks.

[redacted]

Edited by Rophs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...