Birthday Cooking Quest!

I, MAG THE (self proclaimed) KNIGHT OF BACON, WAS HUNGRY AND IN A MOMENT OF WEAKNESS AND WHEN CHEW WASNT LOOKING STOLE THE FOOD FOR THE MD BIRTHDAY AND ATE IT ALL! 

THE LAST TIME I ASKED YOU TO HELP ME OUT I WAS VERY PLEASED SO HELP ME OUT AGAIN WITH YOUR COOKING SKILLS! 

I NEED YOU TO HELP ME AND COOK A DISH THAT YOU CAN SERVE TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT WILL COME TO THE BIRTHDAY WITH INGREDIENTS YOU CAN FIND IN MD! (this is the theme)

YOU WILL HAVE TO DESCRIBE YOUR DISH AND PROVIDE ME WITH AN IMAGE, I CANT BE TRUSTED TO LOOK AT THE ORIGINAL, WE DONT WANT THE INCIDENT TO REPEAT ITSELF.

SINCE ALL THE PREPARATIONS AND THE COOKING FOR THE VAST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE TAKES TIME YOU WILL HAVE A MONTH TIME TO DO SO!

tldr:

• cook a dish thats good for large groups ( you dont have to cook the amount, the dish should just be suitable to feed lots of people)
  • describe the dish with MD ingredients
  • provide a Picture, with name please
  • you have 1 month time

Rewards:
1st. 3 GC anni crit
2nd. 2 GC anni crit
3rd. 1 GC anni crit

Herewith, mine submission - Cow-Tree Phở - simplified from a family recipe of mine inhabitor.

Instructions are included for those who wish to create of it in the other-realm, also.

Requirements were as follows:

Five units of pure elemental rain-water - enough to fill a large recipient
Two units of Bones, obtained of a cow that doth grow within Ailith's mythical Cow-Tree. Bones excavated from Necrovion will not suffice.
One unit of thinly sliced cow, also from the Cow-Tree
Three seedling-bulbs (preferably of the onion-kind)
One unit of rice-noodles; a rarity within this realm
A handful of ground aromatic herbs; a handful of whole aromatic herbs
One handful of Golemian Rock-Salt
A handful of leaves from the basil-plant
A sprinkling of ground pepper-corn
Twelve full erolin-spheres; alternatively, a full heat-storing jar (twelve thousand points shall suffice).

175676695_MDcooking4.thumb.jpg.9c3296addcb780f642da6bc3d6f358c4.jpg

Fill of a large cooking-pot with elemental water. Source of some bones - a kilogram and a half thereof (I would hope, from the Cows in the Cow-tree, rather than that excavated within Necrovion) - that with much marrow were ideal for this recipe.
Sprinkle some ground aromatic herbs, and some that were not ground. (Those within the other-realm may use of some Five-Spice, and some whole star anise) - a generous handful shall suffice.

2084538673_MDcooking3.thumb.jpg.b49d06f2f67d8a5f99d9469c983b40c7.jpg

Place within two large seedling-bulbs (those of the other-realm may know of these as onions; the brown or the red equally suffice). Do not slice of these into smaller portions; some incomplete cuts shall suffice, such that the water may permeate of them, yet not cause of disintegration.

Add of some erolin-heat, and simmer for two to three hours, then, set aside to cool overnight (one of the other-realm may use a refrigerator to aid of this process).

319789423_MDCooking2.thumb.jpg.c5586710aecb7d41548ac3f714a01ce7.jpg

Once cooled, one shall note of a coalescence atop the broth. Carefully remove of this and discard it.

1021691259_MDCooking1.thumb.jpg.8c265c7fd706747947fcce038248bb58.jpg

To complete of the broth, add of some Golemian Mineral Salts to taste; one of the other-realm may, in preference, use of fish-sauce.

686324842_MDcooking8.thumb.jpg.e1975b01162246e12eff3c2d560dacd8.jpg

Prepare of some rice-noodles; these are indeed quite rare within the realm; one must find a place to grow of rice, and reap of it, and cast them into flat sheets; one blessed of the other-realm may find it easier to purchase of these, and mine inhabitor doth quite recommend of that which were fresh, and not dried. If one may obtain of the fresh kind, soak in boiling water for two minutes, and strain of the water.

540026393_MDcooking9.thumb.jpg.13e14ad1b5a87ac5bf0c96a5debb64d6.jpg

Add of sliced onion-bulb, and of raw, thin slices of cow, from the mythical cow-tree.

351011542_MDcooking5.thumb.jpg.2dcfa52171a2ef5400f3025b4d0aaa97.jpg

Finally, ladle of the broth (ideally, it were close to the boil at this time) over the dish, and sprinkle of some ground pepper-corns and basil-leaves.

983148168_MDcooking10.thumb.jpg.6064bedd6f13716fe73c92123b6b4c39.jpg

One so inclined may add of bean-shoots, or of further heat-spices, but this were not mine own preference.

Serve hot; stir to cook the beef until it were cooked to thine own taste.

1683822371_MDcooking11.thumb.jpg.aa9ec1878cfee5ecad82588d2e06b793.jpg

Edited by Aia del Mana

• 4 weeks later...

This dish is called good ramen. The etymology of it is quite fascinating. It is ramen and it tastes good, for this reason I call it good ramen.

As ramen does not exist in MD we use the next best thing. While making a cake we instead make nonsweet dough and then push it through the quills that a knator has shed to give it the stringlike form.

When No One isn't looking poke through his pile of unidentified herbs and snag some ginger, garlic, basil, and a few bay leaves. A good way to distract him is to write some really bad code and ask him for help to debug it via pm.

• Use about an ounce of ginger per person you plan to serve
  • Use two cloves of garlic per three people you plan to serve, round up (don't skimp on flavor!)
  • After you have made a ginger and garlic herbal tea add basil to suit your taste
  • Add a bay leaf or two

When the broth is done add the knator ramen. It's okay to leave them in the quills. The knator quills will dissolve to add more flavor (read: ramen flavor packets :P) and a pleasant texture. Let it boil together and marry into a good taste :)

THE SALMON!

We do actually have fish in MD. Remember cutler's fishing quest?

Take a fillet of salmon (skin on is optional but I think it looks nice and tastes good) and plop it in a pan with some chopped garlic and ginger alongside a bit of Grasan oil. Don't ask about the Grasan oil, you don't want to know. Any oil works...

Just let the salmon sit in a pan on heat while covered until it is cooked all the way through. I like to let the bottom side (without the skin) get a little crispy for about a centimetre from the bottom down. The texture from this is really nice.

PLATING IT?

Pour the ramen into the bowl and plop some salmon on top. Arrange the bay leaf as garnish as your discretion allows and trickle the oil and herbs the salmon cooked with on top of the salmon to complete garnishing this dish.

ramengood.jpg

Ah, one of my original recipe, discovered by accident as I terribly messed up another recipe.

I present, tender roasted Grasan ribs, coated in BBQ sauce. The recipe is as follow:

Ingredients:

• A rack of Grasan ribs, butchered into pairs
  • A bottle of soy sauce, sold inside the Wind Sanctuary
  • Thin foils, made out of a certain food-safe metals mined inside Golemus, manufactured into thin sheets by the little mans
  • A fine bottle of malted goodness (I remembered of a player whose role was a pub keeper, can't recall exactly, sorry)
  • Various herbs that you may find suitable for a rack of ribs, procured from the depths of Loreroot
  • A big Loreroot onion
  • Wild garlic and pepper, found outside the gate of Marind Bell
  • A fine bottle of sauce, suitable for your taste
  • Honey, in the forest surrounding Wasp's altar

Recipe:

Optional: Marinade

• Coat the ribs in soy sauce and add a few crushed garlic cloves. You may add any other seasonings and spices that you deem fitting
  • Leave, covered with a thin piece of paper, so that the meat is completely sealed from outside air

spacer.png

Steaming

• First, finely chop the onion and crush a few garlic cloves. Dice any additional herbs you may wish to add.
  • Lay your ribs down the thin metal sheet, one pair of ribs per sheet. Rub them with pepper and any other herbs as you deem fitting
  • Add onion and garlic, three cloves and half-a-handful of onion per pair
  • Shape your foil into a small curve, then pour the fine, golden malted liquid, not so much that it spills, but not so little that it couldn't coat the meat
  • Wrap up the meat, so that the liquid can surround the meat inside the metal sheet.

spacer.png

• Using a large pot, pour in enough water to be ankle-deep, then place a small steamer base down, so that it create a nice, dry surface, away from the water
  • Place your ribs inside the pot, and shimmer for 1.5 - 2 hours, depending on how tender you wish your ribs to be

spacer.png

• Close the lid and wait, take caution as the water may fully vaporize, in such case, simply add more (hot) water.

Coating and roasting

• First, remove the ribs from the foil, gently tap with a piece of water absorbent paper, or left to dry on a rack. This is to ensure the coating can stick to the meat properly, and the meat can caramelize properly. This is important.
  • Place it in an oven tray, and roast over high heat for 10-15 minutes, to achieve caramelization.
  • Alternatively, wrap again, in a new, clean piece of metal sheet, then grill over open flame to taste.
  • Cover the ribs with your preferred sauce and honey, with herbs that you deem fitting.

spacer.png

The final rib should have a nice, caramelized surface, while retaining its inner moisture and tenderness. A well-cooked rib should be tender enough that you can directly pull the bone off.

spacer.png

Serve with roasted/mashed potatoes, salad and a good mug of golden malted liquid.

A few notes on debugging your ribs:

• If it's not bone-pulling tender, you did not steam it long enough.
  • If it's mushy, vice versa
  • If it's too dry, you grilled/roasted it for too long. For the caramelization process to take place, you need to have high heat in a relatively short period of time. Or that your rib is of garbage quality.
Edited by fallen god
Tweaks in the recipe