Message who you're an adept of

Grido

A new player reminded me of the fact that due to links for signing up through other people and becoming their adepts, some players wouldn't be able to message who they're an adept of, as from the new players perspective being an adept of someone is so that that person may help you when you have questions and such, so wouldn't it be a good addition to add a button to be able to message who you're an adept of?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Root Admin

This wont be implemented as lightsage said.

Friendslist allows you to pm people you have made as your friend but this would allow pms to everyone. Which will make the messaging system pointless where people cannot enter in a username to pm.

Unless you put a flood control on it (1 adept change per day/week) then it definately wont be implemented but still with a control its abusable.

So if anyone wants to add anything please think of ways that this could be implemented without harming the current system

The only way I think it would work is if it was restricted to once a month. Then they would have to play for over a year to build up 12 friends. That way those who decide to not stick with the game will only build up a friends list of 3 or 4 before they quit. I think then it would serve as a good buffer and be a nice boost for those who decide to stay for that long. That way it would take 3 years to get 36 bonus friends. Considering ther are usually mid 30s amount of RPCs, i think that a fair number. The down side I would see of this is the fact that a MP6 would lose MP6 more often from losing adepts
*im new but you have to keep your number of adepts to keep mp6 right?*

In a month you can easily get enough free credits to buy a friends list. If its that important to you to be able to message your mentor do free credits for a while and then buy the list, or just save a message from them. I really don't think this needs its own feature at all.

[quote name='Chewett' post='32635' date='Jun 3 2009, 12:42 PM']Unless you put a flood control on it (1 adept change per day/week) then it definately wont be implemented but still with a control its abusable.

So if anyone wants to add anything please think of ways that this could be implemented without harming the current system[/quote]

Here's my idea and it involves making one additional (and I think good) change to the Adept-mentor system.

Presently, the adept puts the name of the person they want have as their mentor in a box. As soon as they hit enter, it's done. I propose that instead, when the potential adept puts the name of the person they want as a mentor in the box, the mentor would receive a notification with the potential adept's name and there be two buttons: "accept" or "decline". Until the mentor accepts the person as their adept, the potential adept can't message them.

Going further with this, it would also make sense that mentors can, at any time, stop people from being their adepts. Perhaps you don't want someone to be your adept, but currently there is nothing a mentor can do about this. (If they can, then just ignore this part, and forgive my ignorance :) )

Thoughts?

Edited by Willem RedBeard

I can message just about everyone in the game (Or easily could, if I cared). The only use I have for the friends list is that I can see when they're on. If a mentor can send a message to their adepts, they really aught to do that as soon as they notice they have a new adept. If the adept saves the message they can reply anytime. I send messages to new players I notice for that exact purpose on occasion. It is true that people eventually have their in-boxes fill up, however a new player shouldn't have that problem, and if they care, they should definitely save a message from their mentor.

The system as it is would require the mentor to pay attention and keep up with things, but they really should if they are trying to collect adepts shouldn't they? And people who are recommended to the game by friends and as such become adepts in that way PROBABLY, though not definitely can contact them easier in RL.