Is magic possible?

Zantek

the potion area of magic is certainly possible with science, mixing ingredients is both potions and science

casting spells and such there's more dispute about, the common agreement i've heard is that with the majority of spells, as everything requires energy, would likely kill you from exhaustion

I know a plant. You make tea from it, drink and you lock your self in toilet for 10 hours.
Is a cleaning stomach potion?
Is a poison?
Bad use of tobaco?

I snap my fingers few people are turning their heads toward me.
Am I a (ok weak) magician? Oh I'm powerful I can make you
read this post!

[quote name='GgSeverin' post='25044' date='Feb 10 2009, 10:41 PM']I know a plant. You make tea from it, drink and you lock your self in toilet for 10 hours.
Is a cleaning stomach potion?
Is a poison?
Bad use of tobaco?[/quote]

:D
May you give me te name of this plant?

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think that magic is possible, but i think that there are things we fail to understand...

like, casting fireballs and stuff, is a bit unlikely, though not totally unimaginable, but you hear of might-be-healers every day... i think there is a magical part of the world that can't be described with equations and rationalism, and is therefore discarded by the 'rational human', but i think doing so is just another part of fearing the unknown...

IMO: Harry Potter: good book, but the magic is bullshit, Healing through positive thinking: good book, too, but with magic that actually works^^

[quote name='Dark' post='25821' date='Feb 22 2009, 12:21 PM']Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.[/quote]

this goes with more than just tech for example if i rub a couple of stones together and create electricity(lightning) is this magic ? or a greater understanding of the properties of the stones than most have ..... or .... is that greater understanding the magic ... people have often argued magic and weather is is good or evil and people have done the same with many secrets through out time.... think back to the dark ages when the "church" took over and burned anything they did not understand were the sciences and information in those materials magic or a higher understanding of natures workings ...

example if we were to go back in time say 2000 years and we mixed up some simple black powder would we be practicing magic ? anyone from the time we were in would believe we were even if we tried to explain it to them if they could not honestly understand or worse if only a few could understand then what .... those few would be "witches" too

then too think of things that are being uncovered all the time showing they ancient men know far more then we once thought

anyway this is my 2c

Kragel
The Metal Mage

Is Alchemy still considered as magic?
Alchemy of course being mixing different things together to get a desired effect, such as ''mixing up some simple black powder''

While it has been in the past, i don't believe it is so much anymore, as mixing things together is referred rather as Chemistry than Alchemy these days.

What i perceive to be classed as magic would be things that cannot be accomplished in such a way by other means, it is an extension of the body, energy flowing through you, ready to be defined by your will into the action you want

but those are not defined by my description of magic as i see it that i put in my previous post, personally i believe that Alchemy has always been a branch away from Magic itself and not one in the same anyway

Actually, Grido, a person who loves the task at hand does indeed pour their personal energies, knowledge and will into their work.

A baker doesn't just cook/bake bread, they create something "magic" each time they experience the act.

I have always held that a "spell" is just a prayer. No more. No less.

putting your personal energies into something isn't what i mean, as it's not a literal transfer of energy, which is what i mean.

my concept of magic would be something along the lines of
''i have 32 units of energy for magic, such an such a spell requires 14 units of energy for the spell..''

not quite like that, but it's easiest to describe it like that

and that the energy can perform your will, without anything else needed

[quote name='Grido' post='26025' date='Feb 27 2009, 09:42 PM']Is Alchemy still considered as magic?
Alchemy of course being mixing different things together to get a desired effect, such as ''mixing up some simple black powder''[/quote]

From what I've heard, Alchemy is breking down a substance, then reforming it into something else.
Meh, Full Metal alchemist is an anime anyways
^_^

I don't think magic is like how it's shown on TV and movies. According to Aleister Crowley's definition, magic is "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformance with will." It's a very empowering skill, worthy for study.

I'll define magic as I understand it, but to do that I need to define a few other terms as well:

Consciousness: The sum of a person's experience, as rooted in their identity.

Willpower: The amount of fortitude and strength of a person's ability to create change in the world.

Magic: The act of using one's willpower to create change in consciousness, be it personally, or of other people.

With this definition, magic is very real, and can be a mundane day-to-day activity. Telling a good joke and making someone else laugh, could be an act of magic. Remembering a time you were sick, focusing on the feeling of sickness, and recreating it physically in your body is also an act of magic. Concentrating on another person, while holding this sick feeling in yourself, with the aim to infect the person with the sickness, would be an act of black magic. And to the doubters of such a projection actually being possible, I will say here that I've done it. With enough focus and intent, many strange changes in consciousness (and the physical reality that mirrors it) can happen.

Willpower is the key to magic, and consciousness is the element that allows it to happen.

Why do you science geeks have to think formulas and complex stuff? Magic is all around you. It is in a laugh, the gentle breeze, the look of love in a man and womans eyes. Knowing when to change your route and miss getting caught in bad traffic accidents. THAT is magic. To snap ones fingers and say a few words is EASY. Cause and effect, that is HARD.

Magic is a matter of how one thinks and then acts. It can be Light and it can be Dark. It can even be Colorful. Magic is not complicated. It is all in ones mind. Mur knows. The Imagination Principal is a start and as children, we know how to manipulate it. It is as we get older and get told to be sensible and logical that Magic disipates.

I believe firmly this is why Mur created Magic Duel. So we all could reclaim the magic lost in our mundane human real life worlds.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[s]Natur[/s]al Chem[s]istr[/s]y = Alchemy

everything around us is magic what is magic it is everything

think of this famous quote

"Because of your little faith, For truly I say to you, If you have faith the size of a mustard grain, You will say to that mountain transfer from here to there,' and it will transfer, and nothing will be impossible for you."

so think about that for a second with Faith and Belief ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE so why are there ones among you who still have to ask if it is... while still refusing to beleive and simply asking how it is.

if you want to define magic first define life, faith, belief, and imagination.

if you can not see the magic in all these things then you have no faith and magic will never be accessable

but if you can see how a cook, or a metal smith, by combining things they have a better understanding of to make a greater outcome than just the sum of the parts is in every way "magic" (that is the wrong word but its the one we all use) then you will no longer have a need to ask if there is magic but will see how nature, science, and life are magic and only wish to seek the understanding of them.

are not man and woman magic creatures every time they give birth in so becoming more than the sum of their parts ? as do all creatures ....

anyway again this is only

my 2c
Kragel
The Metal Mage