Do We Need Common Items?

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do we need common items?

Long time ago Kragel told me that he and Udgard where creating a long list of common items to be added on the market. He agreed that with Mur I guess. Anyways, I was very happy to hear new items where going to “randomly” appear so I made a list my self and send it to him right away. I haven’t seen him for a while so I don’t really know what happened with that project.

Well, the thing is I believe people enjoy auctions, so I assume they will like these events to become regular. If I am wrong please tell me and I will no longer insist on this matter. But if I am right… may I ask somebody else to help me create a list of items to be spread on the realm? It is well known that items are still very rare and not very easy to acquire, so Kriskah and Rustichello are a bit exhausted of traveling all around the realm begging players to sell their T-shirts and bag of nails… more common items are needed.

If you consider this to be a bad idea please post here so I won’t be irritating Mur with lists no body else really cares about.

Thank you.

Edited by Kriskah Arcanu

What Kragel and I are working on are items that would be commonly available for people, but not 'common' items (at least that's the part I'm working on). The items are raw materials, like leather, wood, metals, dyes and such that will serve as the materials for requesting items, as well as allowing some commodity to be traded on the market, thus allowing a more fluid market. Unlike now where every item is being semi-hoarded, these raw materials is less valuable than unique items, thus people would be more willing to trade them away.

As for items that are common, everyday items for RP purposes, I don't believe they are needed much. The item system serves as another side of inner magic, where possession of a certain item implies ability to use it (and be officially acknowledged of being able of said ability that comes from wielding an item), or to enhance the richness of someone's role. Items to enrich RP, however, I believe was intended for people to choose carefully what item best reflects and complements their role (for example, as a blacksmith kragel has a hammer, as an archivist Ren/Pamps has a quill). However, items like muffins or a cup of tea doesn't need to exist in the game, as people can still RP without the item's physical existence just fine. The impact of the item as a common everyday object is not that big to require a physical existence IMHO. Of course, this would be a different case if someone's role was the Lord of Muffins, where a muffin bag would be a great item to complement his role.

Anyways, that's my opinion. I agree that we could use more items commonly available to people, but I am hoping that 'common' here doesn't mean some rather "insignificant" (forgive the term) items.

• Root Admin

I hope you relise that anyone wanting my slippers will be severly dissapointed.

Also why are my slippers on the poll [img]http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons//blum.gif[/img]

@ Udgard
Yes, I believe Kragel mention that too, but when will he come back?

When I used the therm "common items" I was refering to items not created for an specific type of character, in response of a personal request. These items migh have diferent porpuses acordingly to diferent type of uses.

Ok, no more definitions... these are items which where part of the list

Round Lens Spectacles: a pair of lenses attached at one side by a handle.

Backpack: Blue backpack with padded shoulder straps, with adjustable-length straps.

Run Bottle: Cuban bottle of rum Bacardi.

Flashlight: with two output levels suitable for operations requiring minimal light; for preserving night vision while navigating, tracking, map reading, or other close work; or for negotiating outdoor terrain without disturbing wildlife (many animals cannot see red light).

Feather Pen & Ink bottle: Medieval Quill Blue Feather with Ink bottle.

Black leather whip: 8 Feet Long Quality leather bullwhip

Torch and fuel: Torch can burn up to 25 minutes.

Some "common" items migth not be so unique, for obvious reasons.

@ Chewett
It was just a triky choice to add in the poll. Evidently people interested on your slippers are somehow generaly interested on common items... or particualry on furry footware.

Edited by Kriskah Arcanu

I think the Chewies slipper option might be a bad idea, as I want common items, but was tempted to vote for that one out of sheer awesomeness. As for common items like glasses, I don't think we need them. I have glasses, I don't feel I need them as an inventory item before I can RP them though.

Common materials to make unique items? Yeah, those'd be nice.

[quote name='Kriskah Arcanu' date='31 July 2009 - 07:31 AM' timestamp='1249047095' post='38363']
@ Udgard
Run Bottle: Cuban bottle of rum Bacardi.

Flashlight: with two output levels suitable for operations requiring minimal light; for preserving night vision while navigating, tracking, map reading, or other close work; or for negotiating outdoor terrain without disturbing wildlife (many animals cannot see red light).

[/quote]

I was unaware that Cuba existed in MagicDuel. Where is it? Next to Golemus Golemicarum or something?

Also, a flashlight? I thought this game was supposed to be in character. Unless its a stick that someone used transposition and put a light identity into or something.

Anyways, on topic. Items don't really have a purpose now, you can't exactly use them. And unfortunately (in my opinion) most of the items I've seen don't make sense, which really takes away from the feeling of the game. Its just another useless thing for rich people to hoard. Not to mention that if you try to get an item made for you, and you spend your hard earned wish points and raw materials on it, there is a chance the person making it is just going to mess up the item, and then say "oops, too bad, try again". So I say forget about items for now.

It can be any type of run, that is not the point...

Well... I am a bit confused right now... really don't know what to say.
But since is not in my power to create items I dont know if I should even care about it...
Anyways I must say it is really easy to get frustrated when you get so involved.

K

Edited by Kriskah Arcanu

[quote name='Jester' date='01 August 2009 - 04:19 AM' timestamp='1249075146' post='38399']
I was unaware that Cuba existed in MagicDuel. Where is it? Next to Golemus Golemicarum or something?

Also, a flashlight? I thought this game was supposed to be in character. Unless its a stick that someone used transposition and put a light identity into or something.

Anyways, on topic. Items don't really have a purpose now, you can't exactly use them. And unfortunately (in my opinion) most of the items I've seen don't make sense, which really takes away from the feeling of the game. Its just another useless thing for rich people to hoard. Not to mention that if you try to get an item made for you, and you spend your hard earned wish points and raw materials on it, [b]there is a chance the person making it is just going to mess up the item[/b], and then say "oops, too bad, try again". So I say forget about items for now.
[/quote]

Nah, I'm not that cruel =D
Although, it is true that you most likely won't get exactly the same as what you wish for, depending on how powerful what you wish for is. (I barely change any part of the wookie slippers, despite it's uber-power of controlling hordes of angry chews)

And I totally agree with the flashlight..

I believe the item that Jester is referring to is an item belonging to a specific player, who paid for it with a wish point, as is required. However, instead of getting a specific type of flail, as he requested, the item name included the word "fail."

That is quite an important and embarrassing error for both the one who holds the item, but more so for the one who created it.