Use Of Deserted Accounts

Burns

I see how important it is that some roles don't get lost, be it because of their powers, their history, their level of integration, whatever.
However, I just can't agree with the use of old accounts just to keep them alive!

An RPC is (/should be) working on his own role, and not keeping several accounts semi-alive, like it's done with Simply and Wodin!
How should there ever be a history of the realm when nobody dies?
I can see how it makes sense, for a short time, or for RP-purposes, to play with another account, like Yrth does with Khal, or like Ailith does with simply to get the quest finished.

But how does the game evolve when important figures are forever undead, often playing in a completely different way than the 'real' characters did?
Why can they not be the realms history, and once they are lost, why would not another player come and seek information about the old charcter and try doing what they did, find access to the powers they had, or succeed where they failed?

Why do we need to cling to old names and give powerful positions to people who already have power over a completely different part of the game, instead of giving others the opportunity to do better? And one thing is sure: the more powerful accounts a player has, the poorer each of them performs! I don't think it's necessary to remind people of how Simplyzero suffered under Shoeps becoming RPC, or how little Wodin has been doing since he is under control of other players...

I agree wholeheartedly. I will speak to simplyzero's user (as I share access to simply with him, he wantd me to keep simplyzero alive). I do not have the time needed to care for simplyzero as a full character and still work with Ailith.

I suggest to you, Burns, and all else who feel this way:

Gain control of Wodin or Khalazdad, and kill them. I am dead serious, there are no limits to what you can do with your character, and you can have them literally jump off a cliff. If you roleplay it correctly, it will be done. I would suggest a slightly more powerful death than jumping off a cliff, though. Perhaps jumping into the fires of Kelle'Tha for Khalazdad, and jumping into the Stone of Tortured Souls for Wodin? Perhaps they should do it at the same time. It opens up many doors.

But I do agree with you, I wish they would die.

Awi

Simplyzero was a dead character from the beginning. It was an alt who got his role by a pure chance. So he was destined to die eventually.There was no chance for him to evolve due to the the weak role-playing abilities of his owner.
As for Wodin, when BigC left, he wanted nobody to have his accounts. That's why he reset both of them. Reviving Wodin proved to be a mistake. He became just a puppet with no personality.

So yes! Death to public characters (even if I love to see how screwed and account gets by becoming public - for me it's probably one of the harsher punishments a player could get).

Personally I loathe the idea of someone else playing my character and would much sooner let him die. That would make me sad, but if it is a good death (if such a thing exists) it would also make me proud. Or instead of sending him to the next world, I could opt for sending him to the previous one since he wasn't born in MD. It is sad that people don't get closure for their characters when they leave, but such a thing requires time and planning and I doubt many plan their departure. Ideally you'd get the players to come back long enough to let their characters leave MD in a way they see fit.

The people who don't mind their characters being played by someone else, do they have no emotional attachment to them at all? Or is it that instead of perversion they consider another player emulating their character as prestigious?

I, for one, wouldn't want anyone playing Cryxus and the reason for this is i don't feel that the pathos of my intended character can be expressed through someone else. Cryxus is a character who loves, lives, and has serious, serious, character flaws that I don't think anyone else could portray in the correct light. Even for a character who is mad, or only thinks of fighting I think that the true pathos of "revived" characters is masked by someone else's intent. There are a few scenarios that I will agree that a character is fine to be played by another character, but I don't feel it should be a permanent control, lest the original character is fine with his character being portrayed as puppet, as it were. Anyhow, I have no problem with the way things are, but I think for the most part creating a new NPC templated off the character could be done just as easily without any real backlash to their image.

Meh. If my account were ever to go public...

I'd be angry and sad, very much so. A character is something you yourself develop, and the work invested in trendemous sometimes...not to mention the personalities never perfectly match.

That's why to me my account going public would be...actually ever harsher than a permanent ban.

@ Awii, no, it's just not as easy as that...
we can never know if a player wants to return to MD some time and pick his old character up again, how would you like to see: 'Oh, sorry, your character has been hijacked and killed, you can't have it returned because he's dead, over and out.'

We can make whatever we want of the mysterious vanishing of people, and even call them dead after some time, like they use to do in RL, but we can't take another players account and kill it for them, maybe even against their will.

No matter how wrong it is to impersonate another character, it's a lot wronger to impersonate someone and commit suicide for them -.-

[quote name='Liberty4life' date='27 September 2009 - 09:23 AM' timestamp='1254057839' post='42885']
yeah awi thats it i agree, kill wodin, yeah cmon peace do it, kill wodin and with him all shades die as well as peace, nothin will remain that will oppose shades ^_^ me votes for it
[/quote]

Call me crazy but, Im pretty sure the shades existed before wodin, and would continue to do so if anything that action would weaken them, not kill them..

[quote name='Liberty4life' date='27 September 2009 - 09:50 AM' timestamp='1254059406' post='42894']
heh before was also golemus wizard alive :P
[/quote]

Well under that notion given that the Golemus Wizard was the sole inhabitant of Golemus, if anything the shades should be even more powerful than ever given that GG is vastly inhabited now, why else would the shades send someone to kill the Wizard? I still really don't see how that would kill the shades but then again, Im crazy... Or how it acceptable to make a new account based off an existing character... (Silly me I thought that was a banable offense ^_^)

• 6 months later...