Ritual Management

Nahblard

Hello, I'm still a new player but unless I'm missing something (in which case move this to questions and explain how I do it I guess... but anyway) which is possible as I'm fairly new, I have what I hope is a decent idea regarding setting up and managing one's rituals. Now there may exist such an option for less advanced players but I see an issue and I have an idea for an improvement to the game. I should probably start by kissing Mur's posterior and saying that I'm really enjoying the game. Truthfully. If I wasn't I wouldn't post here would I?

It may be on Mur's "to do" list, and just simply require too much time compared to something major he can do, it may be he's looked at it and said "no" but I see no signs of the latter, and who can tell with the former?

Anyway simply put, while anywhere (but this would be amazing in sanctuaries) it would be really nice to have some sort of ritual management page. Instead of having to find someone and make like you're attacking in order to set up that new rit because 2 of your creatures levelled and gained new attacks, or spending 10 minutes in hostile land clicking "remove", it would be really helpful that while we're twiddling our thumbs and regenning in sanctuaries that as well as writing constructive posts on the forum (AHA see what I did there?) it would be nice to just be able to access your rit list, and unbind or add rits as if you were going to attack. I know several players have said this would be great and I feel it would be. No more running several zones to find someone to attack. No more spending 40 minutes in a sanctuary and running out to set up a rit just to get whacked hard before you're ready for it. No more spending what feels like an eternity hitting "unbind" to remove 10 broken rits and 8 which became obsolete when your healers learnt to target "dying". I mean you'd still spend the time but you could do it on your own time in a sanctuary instead of the fasting moving world. It's not a huge deal but I think a lot of people would appreciate being able to fiddle with rits during down time instead of having to spend AP just to run somewhere and back...

well you could go to the dojo... dark marble park. in there mp4 and mp3 can't be attacked without been asked permission first unless yo ugo idle. so go there and set as many ritual as you want before hand. Don't worry you will get used to it, its not that hard.

[quote name='Pipstickz' date='11 October 2009 - 03:33 AM' timestamp='1255232001' post='44352']
This has been suggested before, and as far as I know, the answer has been "Get over it"

Losses are good for you.
[/quote]

If it's not a problem, as far as the management are concerned. I'll live I'm sure. But it's not so much about losses (though I could argue that it'd help people lose more, that's just detracting and secondary to what I'm trying to say) as about the amount of pointless effort in setting up a rit. It's just such a pain to clean out your rits and if you've got that downtime in a sanctuary why not? It's just one of those things that would make that time feel slightly less like sitting around waiting and more like you're doing *something* which in turns makes for a more satisfying time spent on the game.

I looked pretty deep on the forums and couldn't find it. I mean I've been looking for a few days. I'm not saying you're not necessarily entirely right (and I'm not ruling out that I could have just miserably failed to search thoroughly), just that I figured I couldn't find the issue, and I'd rather have it shot down in flames than have it never ever raised.

edit: death bell makes a suggestion; I don't really want to treat the dojo as a sanctuary, but as far as "if it's not ever going to change" goes, it'll do better than running around looking for people who are actually there. Thanks.

Edited by Nahblard

So you're saying that you're just too impatient for how it is now? Because you need plenty of patience to be a good fighter in this game.

And yes, I'm 99% sure it's been suggested before. If the topic isn't around, that means it's just been deleted or something :/

Every few months a new player comes and suggests this. And every single time we have to explain him/her that his/her idea is great but, as you said, on Mur's "to do" list. Here I come and add: at the very bottom of it! It would be nice? Yes, sure...why not? It would be useful? Yes, sure but mostly for new players. Are we the ones to call the shots? Definitely not!

This issue has been brought up so many time and I have seen all the arguments. But it is not a major issue. It's not even an issue. It's an enhancement. Low low low priority. In time maybe we'll get it. And as you will grow you will not need it.

So, my conclusion is this: it will be nice, good, practical and probably it will be implemented. Trouble is: you have to wait an indefinite amount of time. And in the end you will discover that you don't need it anymore.

[quote name='dst' date='11 October 2009 - 05:01 AM' timestamp='1255237274' post='44373']
So, my conclusion is this: it will be nice, good, practical and probably it will be implemented. Trouble is: you have to wait an indefinite amount of time. And in the end you will discover that you don't need it anymore.
[/quote]
Explains everything perfectly. Thanks. Now that I know people have asked before I can also assume it's not something mur can knock up in a few minutes. I know that programmers do not have infinitely long days (outside the game they code, of course) and have to work out priorities based on the time it'd take and the actual magnitude of the improvement. I imagine "nice but small" and "moderate amount of time" get brushed aside by "OMG WTF AWESOME" even if it does take a lot longer.

Also don't confuse impatience with the desire to get stuff done. No one likes sitting at a screen watching a timer tick down (one that doesn't mean a lot, due either to a browser bug or just servers rolling slowly) until the time when I should regen... in the next 5 minutes or so. You find something else to do or chat to pass the time. Or go do the laundry, you don't stare into space. I'm not the most patient person but I'm not about to leave the game due to the prospect of waiting. I like the little time based touches like leveling and things, I think they're great and the little wait has been worth it every time so far.

how cool would it be if you could create 2 Defending rituals, and have a the option to select beetween them on the main page. It wouldnt take long, and it would make the game so much easier in term of handleing, and not in terms of actualy haveing to think.

Ofc. newbiest dont call the shots, but not having newbies means the player base is not expanding. Also, i think Mur wouldnt mind a few $ new players would bring.

Additions which make a game BETTER without haveing to manupulate game balance are the most important duties a game developer has. I have payed more money for this game already then any other over the counter game with millions of $ spent on develpoment. All i ask in return is small improvments in the way the already given game mechanics are Selected. Who of you would prefer a car without central lock over one with it?! If it was so unimportant, why did the remote control become so popular? Both exemples only enchane the handling of already existing options.

Greetings

Battilaa

yet, this game is not MEANT to be userfriendly in its combat-aspects!

it shouldn't have easy ways, it doesn't offer manuals on purpose, it doesn't give you AGES to create a new rit, all that has a reason.

this is a harsh world, people thought of the sanctuaries and dojo as a CURSE when they were implemented, one of the MAJOR turndowns of MD, i'd just like to point you to one really long post of historic value, from a really old, unfortunately already inactive veteran, and (like it or not, dst =P) a GREAT mind of MD: http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/2877-valkyries-of-violence/page__view__findpost__p__21027

Skip through her story, she's pretty accurately describing HOW newbie-friendly this game got over time already, and the more you give them newbies, the less they will learn about all of this game.

You can learn from your own mistakes, or the mistakes others make in fights with you (and the strategies they show you).

Also, there is plenty of people out there willing to help. Just because the knowledge isn't on the forum doesn't mean it is unavailable...

Oh, you're quite right. The whole battle system is quite rough and this would be VERY nice to do. I have a hard time believing it would be hard to code a way to manage rituals considering all it would take is a single link... The fact that it's already possible to create rituals without people around tells me that it would probably take about one minute to fix this. Of course that one minute would just be me explaining how to do it, then the next hour would be spent by me running from the massive mob of older players attempting to kill me for spoilers... Now, if Mur just had a way of logging in lots of people at once, and set MP2s at every location with no critters... It'd be a quick fix. But like I said, just setting a link...

Getting in a crowded place while I forgot what defenses I have,if I had,
quick attacking the players I wanna atack
and get the hell outa there till the others reach me.

Well this is fun. Is not fun to catch fish in an aquarium!