Iq Of Md

I am Bored

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IQ is highly overrated, as others have stated before. However, I do not think IQ is a bad concept, if you know what it is and what it is not.
+ It is cheap and quick to measure IQ.
+ Tests can be fairly accurate. Sadly online tests are quite crappy. Also a test is only accurate in a certain interval, mostly being [70,130], but this can be resolved by iterative testing.
+ IQ is easily interpreted. Most tests look at these things: vocabulary, pattern recognition and logic. These things are (should be) learned at basic school in all Western countries and I assume they are taught everywhere they have education.
- Scores might be influenced by stress and mood.
- They don't tell us much. Being good at logic is being good at logic. It doesn't imply you have knowledge of philosophy or maths or any area in which logic is useful. If you are good at logic AND you have read a hundred philosophy books, then you are probably a good philosopher.

On the other hand we have EQ.
+ Written tests are equally cheap and quick.
- Online tests are utter crap. For vocabulary tests there is a single right answer, while EQ tests have a 'which option suits you more?' approach. Some of them have 'none of the above' or want you to assign scores from 0 to 10, with 5 being no preference. However if half of the time you pick 'no preference', it'll be tough to interpret that.
- Interpretation? These tests are often a mix of self knowledge, knowledge of others and manipulation of others. How you need to treat others to get to a goal is dependent on your sociocultural background and the goal itself. Perhaps your morals prevent you from walking what you know to be the shortest path to your goal and an observer than concludes you took a less efficient strategy, thus you are 'emotionally stupid'. Perhaps having morals is indeed stupid.

Success and achievements. This would give us the most interesting information, but it is impossible to measure objectively.

As for MD playerbase, I think the average level of curiosity is high. We don't play this game because we want the game with the highest polygon count or the coolest moves. We play it because we want to find out what it is about, what will happen next, who we will meet next, how they will respond to those very same questions... It is my idea that this attitude has a positive correlation with intelligence and also the occasional death of a cat.

On line tests ARE crappy. They usually time, which would be biased by lag spikes on pageload and the like, but really, the big issue is that they always exaggerate IQs in a positive fashion because few people care for tests which label them stupid.

last time i checked, my IQ was 146, but that was about 3 or 4 years ago, so have no idea currently

but yeah, like others are saying, it's a rubbish way of measuring intellect, because it doesnt actually do that. one of the first IQ tests, done on American troops sending off to WWII (i think) included a tonne of stuff about american history, presidents etc, and so the slaves (who knew none of it, and couldnt read or write it even if they did) were put as cannon fodder as they were seen as being stupid.

hehe bow down to me grido :-P

Also i think i read somewhere's that your iq doesn't change(if it was done correctly) Though i find that hard to believe as i've seen earth's natural elements(weed,coke,other mind altering substances) cause some major differences in a persons thinking ability. But do note that beer makes you smarter so drink up :P

[quote name='cryxus' date='25 October 2009 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1256442067' post='45688']
When I was a kid I got tested for the 'gifted program' and scored 147 on my IQ test, but I actually got put in the class with the slow kids because I had a speech impediment...
[/quote]
I was stuck in the damn special needs class for three years because I couldn't read until I was in year two, and couldn't grasp certain mathematical concepts.
Then I got my IQ tested because it was school policy.
Then I got it tested AGAIN, because they were surprised.

I ended up getting about six tests, two in school, two from different psychiatrists, and some from an institute (can't remember the exact number, it was years ago).

Turned out my IQ was around 160... Mwahahahaha!

Sadly, I hear rumours that your results on IQ tests drop as you get older, haven't been tested since I was 12 :(

[quote name='Aeoshattr' date='25 October 2009 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1256451784' post='45696']
Lol @ Mur. my jaw dropped when i saw that. I had no idea IQ's range over 150 :-??
IAB, i don't expect ppl to be honest here. what if someone has IQ below 90? they'll obviously boost it up a bit or more.
[/quote]
Hehe, one of the guys my girlfriend knows thought the IQ test only went up to 100, and was boasting he had an IQ of 87 :P

Edit: I'd also like to point out I failed year 12 the first time I did it, and that from what I hear Einstein's IQ was about 150.

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

i'm a member of MENSA (www.mensa.org), which is the largest world-wide high-IQ organization - the requirements for membership are top 2% IQ (which means a minimum IQ of 132-148, depending on scale - which by the way invalidates what people said earlier that 130+ means genius, as I wouldn't call 2% of the population geniuses). The only "official test" I've had, besides the MENSA one, was when I was younger and it was about 3 hours with a psychologist and the result was 173, though i'm not sure on what scale as it still seems a bit high-ish to me :P
the point with MENSA though, is that it shows you how little IQ actually means, as the range of people you find with top 2% IQs is staggering (mostly techie guys with a poor or no job or teachers, but also including anything from manual labourers to magazine editors to people running succesful businesses)

Edited by Totenkopf

[quote name='Totenkopf' date='26 October 2009 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1256548157' post='45770']
i'm a member of MENSA (www.mensa.org), which is the largest world-wide high-IQ organization - the requirements for membership are top 2% IQ (which means a minimum IQ of 132-148, depending on scale - which by the way invalidates what people said earlier that 130+ means genius, as I wouldn't call 2% of the population geniuses). The only "official test" I've had, besides the MENSA one, was when I was younger and it was about 3 hours with a psychologist and the result was 173, though i'm not sure on what scale as it still seems a bit high-ish to me :P
the point with MENSA though, is that it shows you how little IQ actually means, as the range of people you find with top 2% IQs is staggering (mostly techie guys with a poor or no job or teachers, but also including anything from manual labourers to magazine editors to people running succesful businesses)
[/quote]
Yes, I think that the IQ tests used on people who are younger (like the ones that gave me my result) are simpler, because there is a smaller pool of assumed knowledge.

That's probably why people are of the opinion that IQ's drop as you age... inconsistency between test content for different age brackets.

You should be very careful about deriving conclusions from this 'statistic'. There's no way to be certain people didn't lie. The amount of data is very small, you can't even be certain this is normally distributed and it is very unlikely it has the same deviation, 15. Even if you calculate all that, it doesn't change the fact that it is very well possible your iq lies on the left side of the curve.

[quote name='I am Bored' date='29 October 2009 - 07:31 PM' timestamp='1256841074' post='46077']
i must request those who have voted to say what they voted, that way i know what votes should actually be included in the counting
[/quote]
You actually mean to try and calculate the mean and error of something that does not look like a t distribution at all? (student t looks similar to Bell).
But since you asked, I voted "I don't know"; never did an official test and I consider the online tests quite ridiculous.

well I had to take a test, so I know my IQ. its's around 139(this was the average of the tests).but being dyslectic mostly means scoring a lower iq than you actually posses..., take as example einstein ..(well, now aftherwards they meassure him around 210+)

but you must be pretty clever for this game, so I don't think much lesser people will play this ..

Edited by Orlando Gardiner