The Element Principle

• Root Admin

There are many ways in which one can classify the consequence of every action or every personality. If we were to separate the world in basic elements, we could say that there are four fundamental elements: Earth, Water, Fire and Wind. Every identity of an action (since actions do have their own identity), of an object or of a person can be seen as being made of these fundamental elements. Pure combinations of these elements may sometimes be considered themselves basic elements and are often compared to Metal, Wood etc. Pure forms of the fundamental elements are so rare that they may be considered purely theoretical. The more pure and clear quantity of an element a thing has, the more it can be considered stronger from all aspects. The pure form of this kind of element is reached when all the forms of a thing may be interpreted through the notions of that element.

Each element has unlimited options and may cover, under a form or another, the characteristics of the other elements, but this happens only at very high levels. When an element covers the features of another elements, at very high levels, for instance, metaphorically speaking “when fire runs like water, or when earth burns like fire, a harmony and a perfect integration of these elements’ interaction may appear and one can speak about a fifth element, which represents more of a theoretical, temporary state of nature, since the fifth element is the pure form, in perfect harmony, of the combined other fundamental elements and is associated with the Spirit.

When speaking about humans, these can be classified according to these elements as various combinations, every human being composed in certain proportions of these elements. The composing elements can be noticed in the behaviour and way of thinking, the way they understand things and, last but not least, the physical aspect. It may be said that each human has its “colour” – shade which is visible if you know how to look for it. Some, but very few, are almost entirely made out of one element – these are very strong, since through the purity of their composing element, they are able to reach superior states of spirits and then sometimes take the shape of any other element. The power of these type of humans is also given by the coherence and the energetical stability generated by the use of only one element in their actions.

Elements are only a simpler form of understanding and classifying the various types of energetical and behavioural patterns, comparing them with elements from the real world, but they can be mastered in order to control things in the same manner they can be understood.

• Root Admin

WOW, finaly someone to break the ice and answer to one of these posts :)

As it sais the first line "There are many ways in which one can classify ..." so..there are many ..

This principle is talking about _elements_ , like building stones of our world , not classifications of magic. For exampe a person can have a very powerfull fire element in him but this doesn't mean that he has something to do with magic, he can just be a dinamic person, agile, very active etc.

There are other approches to this subject, mainly in the oriental culture where you will find elements like metal or wood, but in my personal optinion they have nothing to do with what i am talking about and they can be considered a mixture of the 4 basic elements.

I hope you understand that these elements are only a way to describe a certain energy patern and i am not talking about chemical elements here :P

Some divide the world in few elements , just to make it simple ..like good or evil, some tend to organize it in a lot of ways to grasp all its flavors, so i will not argue about different classifications because they might be all both true and wrong at the same time.

The element principle however can be applied to many things so his "true" part can cover enough to be considered a "principle"

AND also is there going to be like a scale to show if your more dark or light...

So that you can use the elements in its dark form or the elemnets in its light form. Because I know I would lean more towards the dark side so i want powerful unstable dustructive dark powers.

• Root Admin

something else about the magic classifications...you will notice that i try to avoid organizing them in skill groups like "chaos magic" "solar magic" "blood magic" and so on ...this is mainly because i want to put forward the fundamentals here and not the individual flavors. Spells more or less fictive ..or at least fictive for the one that do not understand them :P ..will be presented in this game, but i put a lot of effort into avoiding connecting them to cults, religions, social groups, civilisations or whatever thing that might give them an identity or a history...that is because they are not actual spells (in the meaning of incantations or whatever is similar) but they are the theory and the actions behind the spells....

• Root Admin

shifting the player between dark and light might happen, i am not very sure of it yet :P

The concept right now is that the player can learn magic based on what happens in the story, so the magic its related to his actions.

Technicaly a player will be able to learn any spells during the game regardless of their allignment, and this is because SPELLS DON'T HAVE AN ALLIGNMENT. Thei are considered as KNOWLEDGE in this game and they can be "learned" by anyone. BUT ..Their effectiveness may not be great if its not used by the right player.

Hoever there is a dark territory that you might consider DARK ..its called Necrovion, you can see it on the map. There you will find what you are searching for :)

Necrovion is divided in two ..one is a "kill them all..i like skulls" part and one is more diabolic part where things get realy sick. They are called Necrovion the outer realm and the inner realm. To balance forces on the map i will have to make Necrovion creatures more weak than thei oposite forces ..but this is to BALANCE forces not to put them in disadvantage :)

Oh and if you search for the "I am good but i want your soul" part you will find it in Marind Bell ...creepy place , but based on good forces ...weird thing to do

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

i chose darkness elemental and light

i botched that one up didnt i

only mind power 3 for now ill make changes if needed but i think i shouldnt have chosen light and darkness at the same time but probably something else but

adding the elemental magic to darkness and light might make stronger magic possible

like white fire or black ice

something stronger than just plain elemental magic

• 2 months later...

I'm writing my part (elemental) for the Book of Principals and this section seems incomplete. Manu could you update some knowledge on this principal? It says your basics and a bit more, but seems to leave the reader hanging and wanting more. Something that we can absorb.

I understand you don't want classifications (or you didn't last year) but what is the real message about the Elemental Principal for us? You say it can be so many things, but at the same time you don't want it to be those things (such as the asian reference).

As simple as it should be, it seems to not be focused. I guess I shall search elsewhere even though this topic clearly says Elemental on the title.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the reason Manu is being so broad about this is very simple. The reason is that the term "elemental" is broad and undefined. It serves a base from which to build. It can be almost any force of any kind. Think of taking Time, Imagination, and Elemental as three principals. Elemental serves as your base, something from which to draw power, Imagination serves to focus that power, and Time gives you a when the power can be used. I may be completely off base, but I think Manu just wants Elemental to be something broad and undefined because it should be.