Newbies, What Upset/scare You All?

Novato

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' timestamp='1294890670' post='77342']
They even have the needed 'error' in them, its called Venger ..i need one day to meet that guy and figure out how is it possible to play without playing, lol. (inside joke for those that look at active vet list)
[/quote]
Uh.. do you mean Venger, or Vilinec?

>.>
<.<

• 2 weeks later...

Some days I get confused about doing the puzzles/quests. It seems like I am working on more than one thing at a time. I'm keeping notes but get confused with them at times - I'm a little absent minded tho. I could go on to MP4 but wanted to solve more puzzles before I did. I need to ask more questions but I am a bit shy. I have a lot of patience so everything should work out fine in time.

I also am new, 1 month. I came here because I was getting so bored with the other games I was playing. They were all the same.

Love MD. I love to read and love to "click" things. Can get you in a spot sometimes but that is the greatness of MD. As for the quests, Sure it takes time to find thing and solve things but that to me is the whole point. I am currently doing 2 (one is at a standstill until I fight the Loreroot Guards which I cant yet) and the other has helped me immensely. Yes lots of reading (forum & archives) but it leads you to explore which leads to others thing. This to me is a well blalanced game of exploring, solving puzzles and RPing

The only thing I would suggest was to try to find a way to get noobs to get an adept as soon as possible. This is most helpful especially in story mode IMO. It would also help with the negative feelings in the beginning when they don't know which way is up :)

Ossa

Edited by Shiona

• 2 months later...

Ok, because I still believe this is a great game I will try to help you guys but telling how I experienced my first few days (this is like my 6th here or something). I will just write down I how I experienced it and leave it up to you if that's how it's intenteded or not.

On a side note, English isn't my first language and I'll be typing fast so forgive my spelling/grammar mistakes please.

*Warning: long post ahead*

MD's description of some MMORPG-ranking list intrigues me and makes me join. After joining I am immidiatly intrigued even more. The game started of great: lots of story, great atmosphere, etc. But then then confusion started, and never ended. It all began during the shade story. After each screen you could select principles to upgrade and I thought I could thereby affect the story. So when I ended up inside the cube and everything was dark I selected 'imagination' so I could perhaps imagine sight/objects/etc. But AFAIK now the principles and the story have nothing to do with each other.
Some time later I end the cube story (and got negative rewards for playing with the girl... which appears so random) and suddenly end up in the middle of a festival. Now I CAN make choices in the story but it doesn't really make any sense... [i]at all[/i]. A clown hits me, I hit back and then go to a tree. Uhm... ok... how random can it be? I know that there's nothing random to this game but I have absolutely NO idea what the story is about or even if there is any story at all or if it just a random scenes with random questions with random outcomes which leads to even more random events.

Then of course, there's the free roaming play, which is great. But also quite confusing at times. The Berserker quest was a great puzzle and not that hard to beat; at least it made some sense. But today something totally random happened again: I visited the GoE and saw that a portal was open. I had no idea why or where it would lead to but I clicked on it because it was something new, and I got the feeling that I should click on everything what is new.
Anyway, I ended up in some random house. I clicked on a drawer which gave me some text about chasing demons and a kidnapped princess and whatnot. I had NO IDEA what the story was about or why I was reading it in a drawer, but played along anyway and it appeared to be some puzzle to reach hell in the fastest way possible. After some tries I quit and clicked on another drawer... apparently that was part of the story which occurred before the part I had just read. Same thing happened with the bed.

All in all, I had never been so confused. I was teleported to a random house with some half-finished story which I accidently started reading in the wrong order while having no idea if I should even be reading it in the first place. I really wanted to get back to what I was doing before (working on some player quests, they only thing which DO make sense) so I exited the house. After about 200 AP spend on a very confusing trip through forests, empty houses, past wells, through empty villages and churches I finally found my way out of there.

So, 1.5 day later I am back at the GoE (which doesn't have a portal anymore, thank God) and still have no idea wtf just happened... In the mean while I am still reading one paragraph of story each day, getting random positive of negative awards for it and always choosing the 24 hour wait for +90% skill bonus. The story doesn't make sense (as far as I can tell there isn't even a story, there are just random scenes), the world makes little sense (unless you go through a portal, then everything is [b]m[/b]ucked up), the only thing which is clear, well-done and has kept me going are the player quests.

----

This is my experience of the game...

Edited by Chewett
Swearing isnt allowed here, but i understand what you mean lol

<-- lols his head off

Sorry if the drawers and bed gave you an idea of randomness, they are bits of my birthday party quest which i didn't feel like removing just yet.
So, yeah, it might happen that you stumble over a player quest that doesn't make any sense at first glance, either :))

The strange story you where looking at was a player Quest. Almost everything on the clickies is written by players (but not all, just the vast majority).

Far as the story mode goes, I think that your main problem may be the language barrier. I've been through the story several times, and It's always been cause and effect to me (although, granted, a lot of the time it is only so in hindsight)

I'm glad your enjoying yourself though :P

[quote name='Kyphis the Bard' timestamp='1304341611' post='83726']
The strange story you where looking at was a player Quest. Almost everything on the clickies is written by players (but not all, just the vast majority).

Far as the story mode goes, I think that your main problem may be the language barrier. I've been through the story several times, and It's always been cause and effect to me (although, granted, a lot of the time it is only so in hindsight)

I'm glad your enjoying yourself though :P
[/quote]
Yeah I figured it was a player quest and I'm sure it will be great fun once you actually know what it is and play it in the correct order... but still, for me it just added to the confusion :P.

To be honest I don't think that it's the language barrier which creates the confusion. I've been reading/writing/RP'ing in English for like a decade and never really found it a problem to understand English (and I have to read the most complicated scientific researches on a daily basis). At the moment I am beginning to understand a little bit more about the story because I've made some more progression.

Anyway, I'll just continue with the game and just try to do random stuff :P. Trial and error ftw! ;)

Edited by Daedalus

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm VERY new (less than two days) but what is scaring me so far is the lack of explanation of basic things.

I might find it all out in the tutorial (I am talking and hanging out with the little girl right now, we just left a carnival) but the chat told me to pick a role, or an area or something. IN other words, I have no idea what is going on. Even the OPs post makes no sense to me, which is kinda' funny considering he was asking newbies a question with some pretty advanced wording in it. :)

Anyway, I am sure I'll find out as I go along, but it would be nice to have an easier newbie guide.

Beau

Edited by dst

• 1 month later...

.. my experince of the issues of the beginnings(that did not manage to scare me away, but it wasn't too far off)

[b]-i had no issues with the beginning story. [/b]
it sets a frame, a "myth", in which than the MD world is enveloped. In fact, after reading few more posts and threads on this forum,[i] i think some texts in the beginning story- their specific wording- should be tweaked into a more neutral description[/i] of the scenes. (In some sense it feels to me that darkness, as in life, isn't necessary evil, but also something else. in the same way, light isnt' necessary reassuring pure goodness).
[i]that is obviously up to the makers of the "game".[/i]

[b]-i have constant issues with no bonuses being awarded withthe free credit votes(and i desperately need AP!)[/b]
This is serious: fyrd's quest, Prince rhaegar's one, and also another one(don't remember precisely the name now, but it involves typing the names of kings of the territories in various places) all request me to go through MDA gates, and i cant' pass. i shoudl wait another 30 days or so to pass through that, gate unless i get awarded the extra AP. Same also true for the lands at the east(but it might be wanted as higher level players' zone.

[i]My advice to admin is: add an item in the MDshop, available from the start- 1$ for 30 extra AP(i would buy it straight off!!).. woudl make the game SOO much more enjoyable. OR lower the ap requirements for the MDA gates..[/i](it got me super frustrated)

I solved what i could in MP3 before hitting the xp cap. have also been lucky enough to get a sneak peek to necro and loreroot for halloween right after joining(that was exciting and probably a big advantage with creatures), managed to find my ways to keep the balance of losses/wins and while hitting max honor. I have now passed to mp4 NOT BECAUSE I COULDN'T STAY IN MP3 but BECAUSE I CAN'T PASS MDA GATES FOR ANOTHER 30 DAYS AND I CAN'T GROW OTHER CREATURES AS THEY WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO STORE HEAT SINCE I HIT THE CAP.

Some "older" players told me there are many things to do while being mp3.. but i havent' spotted them, in the territory available to me so far.
I don't know if they're well hidden and i just didnt' look deep enough, or simply not accessible with my ap. i don't know if i'm not being told about them because it woudl be a spoiler. but the result is=>
=>my reasoning (rough and un-moderated): "If i have to wait 30 days to pass the mda gates, i can wait for them in story mode putting 24 hours meditations at every page...that way also my creatures will get the few days of age they need to evolve". i felt left without any other sensible option.

Right now there is the "research and connections" thing going on, which got me interested and i will partecipate(but that wouldn't make me stay mp3).

...but for the future newcomers, prolly making mp3 more accessible (in practical terms-AP most of all) would be a good thing.

Looking forward to have the chance to get more intrigued with the relating the rabbit hole, it's inhabitants and the projections of the world outside the cave ;o)

The MDA gates can be made more accessible by lowering the location viscosity first.

As far as the bonouses thing goes, that is a fairly common bug that needs to get fixed that the temporary boosts don't happen when your AP, VE, and VP are already at max. I would encourage you to go to the gate when you have a creature that needs healing, and do it then.

Another thing that effects whether you get the temporary boosts or not is the timer, once that ticks over anything above your normal maximum is reduced to your maximum. Because the timer display often gets unsynced with the actual regen interval value (another bug), it is a good idea to refresh twice to make sure you have as long as you think you do.

Annoying, but all easily fixable issues if you ask around.

Oh, there are also a few other ways to get into the MDA other than the main gate >.>

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

I'd like to just say, I think there's always been some pressure around the decision to advance to MP4, and then to MP5. Back when I did it, some friends told me that MP4 was totally different and that I was probably gonna do badly, and then I was told the same thing about MP5. The thing is, though, they weren't that different. It was the same as going from the bottom of MP3 to the cap, only everybody was a little bit older. Now I look around and I see the same thing happening, some people even encourage others to stay MP3 or MP4. Now, I can't honestly say that I know what it's like to go through from MP3 to MP5 anymore: Even if I were to make an alt and do it, I'd know everything I know now, and that gives me a significant advantage.

Really what I want to say is this: Advance to MP5, whether you think you'll like it or not, just to try it out. If you have reservations about it, make an alt and do it on that account instead, and if you do it on your main and decide you don't like it, you can make a new alt and start over, and play however you want, knowing everything you'll have learned. I'm not your typical grinder trying to tell you all to go MP5 so that I have more targets, I'm only trying to tell you to give it a shot, and see what it's like, and learn what you can while you're there.

Note: This was meant as kind of a general thing, for any new players who happen to read it, not you in particular, whoever you may be.

Edited by Pipstickz

[b]@Kyphis-[/b] i have been trying all sorts of things about the ap bonus from free credits... even switching from 1 browser to another and gettgin my ve and ap down beforehand. true that i didnt' try to time it out with the timer. thx, i'll give it a go! :)

[b]@Pipstickz- [/b] i figured i'd do exactly that :)

[i]i stil would like that my proposition to the makers about a permanent booster of 30 ap for 1$ to be taken in account tho...[/i]
it wouldn't affect older chars, but would make a hell of a difference in the gameplay of noobs. the beginning is a constant wait for ap(when buying creatures, when exploring..etc).
I don't think it would spoil the fun; it would give few extra $ income to admin; from a player's perspective in r.l. sense- if for compellent r.l. reasons, on a specific day i(a noob player) can be online only 30mins, i'd really hate wasting 10 of them on waiting for an AP recharge..i've run out of ap even out of fighting once...
wouldn't make puzzles "simpler", or the game "commercial" i think.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Pentdragon' timestamp='1321091821' post='95657']
[i]i stil would like that my proposition to the makers about a permanent booster of 30 ap for 1$ to be taken in account tho...[/i]
it wouldn't affect older chars, but would make a hell of a difference in the gameplay of noobs. the beginning is a constant wait for ap(when buying creatures, when exploring..etc).
I don't think it would spoil the fun; it would give few extra $ income to admin; from a player's perspective in r.l. sense- if for compellent r.l. reasons, on a specific day i(a noob player) can be online only 30mins, i'd really hate wasting 10 of them on waiting for an AP recharge..i've run out of ap even out of fighting once...
wouldn't make puzzles "simpler", or the game "commercial" i think.
[/quote]

You know you get 1 AP per day?

• Root Admin

Ah yes you are indeed correct.

Have you considered that initially you are not mean to venture out into the wilderness? and that perhaps some quests need to be changed to accommodate the new changes.

as for paying for AP, i dont think that will ever be implemented, as AP is another thing like age, it makes you wait.

*shrugs* indeed i'm not the patient type, when it comes to exploring XD

but the topic is devoted to what might scare off the noobs...

in my case, my asnwer is that AP really got me frustrated,particualrly because my real life is quite hectic, and finding myself having to accomodate extra time for ap regens has been a proper turn-off.
as it frustrated me, it might make somebody else leave.

Simply sharing this for the comunity to know, and bosses to know, it's obviously their decision whether to act about it, or whether the fact that some things ,in game as in life, take a certain amount of waiting for "the right time".

My opinion is that as i'm approaching this game, some knowledge might take time to sift in my brain and make the correct connections. That timing i'm bond to respect (i quite enjoy the fact that those who created this world made it smart enough to be hard to grasp); The time it will take me to figure out things will most likely define how long it will take me to understand some deeper/more hidden bits, and secrets... a bit like a riddle, that one struggles to figure out until it suddenly makes sense. or one might never find the right answer, if looking in the wrong direction.

But what if i figure out an answer and i'm out of AP to hand it in..

Edit:
PS: but if i'm "too young" as a charater to wander in the wilderness, than i should also not hit that easilly the mp3 exp cap, nor max honor. And i'm not trying to brag about it, but trying to point out that there is a sync issue there, from my perspective.

Edited by Pentdragon