Adept Forever? (Maybe Not)

The Great Wanderer

Please choose one if you read the post.  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My idea deals with adepts. As far as I know, (And yes I did do research on this...), if you become an adept you are one FOREVER! Now there are two ways of becoming an adept; by being recruited by a friend and starting the game as one, or through your achievements page where you can type in the name of a mentor inside a box. I have come to realize that not everyone who is an adept may want to be an adept. For those new players who are "not the brightest bulbs in the pack" may become an adept after playing for a short time, but thinking that they could always become a free man/woman again later. This is however, not true. (Or so I believe. If I am wrong than this whole post will make me the [i]joke[/i] of MD.) Now for my "solutions"...

[u]Idea 1[/u]: Why not make money off of someone's mistake? My first idea is simply make a extra feature that allows you to lose your adept status once applied. This of course would only be available to players who became adepts by using the achievements box. (Otherwise there would be little incentive to recruit new members.) However the drawback I could see happening is that it is not possible to have the game sort between those who used the achievements box and those who started as an adept. (But with my experience with Game Development I think this shouldn't be a problem.)

[u]Idea 2[/u]: Give motivation to players to keep playing the game. (Not that they need it.) Have members who reach a certain Mind Power given the opportunity to become "mentorless" again. (This again would most likely have to only be for members who used the achievements box, in order to not interfere with recruiting morale.) This idea could be more flexible than the first in how it is done...

((Please read at least some of the later posts made by myself and/or others as they may contain good viewpoints on the idea.))

Thank you for taking your time to read my ideas. If any of the previous information is false please forgive me and let me know. (I am sure you would anyway.) Two last things... one, if you can relate to dislike for being an adept please back up my post. Two, though I am not a very advanced player I still put a lot of time and effort into my ideas and I appreciate positive criticism, but not verbal lashings; please be kind, thank you.

Edited by The Great Wanderer

[quote name='The Great Wanderer' date='18 August 2010 - 05:26 AM' timestamp='1282109191' post='66414']
My idea deals with adepts. As far as I know, (And yes I did do research on this...), if you become an adept you are one FOREVER! Now there are two ways of becoming an adept; by being recruited by a friend and starting the game as one, or through your achievements page where you can type in the name of a mentor inside a box. I have come to realize that not everyone who is an adept may want to be an adept. For those new players who are "not the brightest bulbs in the pack" may become an adept after playing for a short time, but thinking that they could always become a free man/woman again later. This is however, not true. (Or so I believe. If I am wrong than this whole post will make me the [i]joke[/i] of MD.) Now for my "solutions"...

[u]Idea 1[/u]: Why not make money off of someone's mistake? My first idea is simply make a extra feature that allows you to lose your adept status once applied. This of course would only be available to players who became adepts by using the achievements box. (Otherwise there would be little incentive to recruit new members.) However the drawback I could see happening is that it is not possible to have the game sort between those who used the achievements box and those who started as an adept. (But with my experience with Game Development I think this shouldn't be a problem.)

[u]Idea 2[/u]: Give motivation to players to keep playing the game. (Not that they need it.) Have members who reach a certain Mind Power given the opportunity to become "mentorless" again. (This again would most likely have to only be for members who used the achievements box, in order to not interfere with recruiting morale.) This idea could be more flexible than the first in how it is done...

Thank you for taking your time to read my ideas. If any of the previous information is false please forgive me and let me know. (I am sure you would anyway.) Two last things... one, if you can relate to dislike for being an adept please back up my post. Two, though I am not a very advanced player I still put a lot of time and effort into my ideas and I appreciate positive criticism, but not verbal lashings; please be kind, thank you.
[/quote]

You can change who you are an adept to whenever you want.

It is the Worshipr Protector status that can't be changed (until your protector drops).

SO I guess this topic can be closed?

Cutler

[quote name='cutler121' date='18 August 2010 - 12:30 AM' timestamp='1282109435' post='66415']
You can change who you are an adept to whenever you want.

It is the Worshipr Protector status that can't be changed (until your protector drops).

SO I guess this topic can be closed?

Cutler
[/quote]

I believe you missed the whole point of the topic. I know you can [i]change[/i] who you are an adept of, but you cannot get rid of your adept status. (I would not have put this much thought into something that could be closed right away.)

The thing is with becoming an adept of someone is that once you do so it is meant to be permanent. Adding something to make it so you can become "free" just causes more harm to the system in place than good. It is an interesting concept to be able to do it, but really pointless, after all if you really want to be free become the adept of an account that is going to be removed.

Look at it this way, if you taught something by someone you cannot unlearn it (no semantics please) You can get another teacher and learn new things but the fact remains at one point you were a student. In MD's case its being an adept and there is always more to learn.

Just my opinion.

[quote name='That Other Guy' date='18 August 2010 - 06:01 AM' timestamp='1282111307' post='66419']
The thing is with becoming an adept of someone is that once you do so it is meant to be permanent. Adding something to make it so you can become "free" just causes more harm to the system in place than good. It is an interesting concept to be able to do it, but really pointless, after all if you really want to be free become the adept of an account that is going to be removed.

Look at it this way, if you taught something by someone you cannot unlearn it (no semantics please) You can get another teacher and learn new things but the fact remains at one point you were a student. In MD's case its being an adept and there is always more to learn.

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Nice points That Other Guy.

Another solution if you really want to be the adept of no one, you can always just type "no one" in the set adept box. Or if you prefer to be the adept of nobody you can set "nobody" in the set adept box. Then anyone who looked at your status would see that you were nobody's adept. :cool:

Cutler

[quote name='That Other Guy' date='18 August 2010 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1282111307' post='66419']

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

You have a excellent point. I do agree with you on some extent of that. The only thing is, what if you wanted to recognized for your own talents and not for the teachings of your mentor? I understand what your saying, but what about anyone who became an adept not realizing they could never be without a mentor again? They could become a great figure, but they would always be connected with their mentor. At some time or another do you not achieve enough knowledge from one person to move on and forge new boundries on your own? In a sense it could almost be like graduating from being an adept. (This would strengthen the second idea, if true.)

[quote name='cutler121' date='18 August 2010 - 08:09 AM' timestamp='1282111772' post='66421']
Nice points That Other Guy.

Another solution if you really want to be the adept of no one, you can always just type "no one" in the set adept box. Or if you prefer to be the adept of nobody you can set "nobody" in the set adept box. Then anyone who looked at your status would see that you were nobody's adept. :D

Cutler
[/quote]

"No one" is a player :cool:

Well in terms of being great, is something you either are or are not. For someone like that they will always standout regardless of whom they had as a mentor (just look at the "legends" of MD). As for later on when you feel that you reach your peak, well most people it seems just simply adept others to help them get/maintain mp6 who can in turn help younger players out. Being a associated really is not a bad thing either simply due to the nature of MD, chances are they will probably end up being a great personal friend (and it would be something to be proud of). Otherwise I see it more so akin to being ashamed of being an adept period. Which in a social environment like MD just seems to be outright silly.

Having social connections if even by mistake is not a bad thing, MD is a social "game".

Just my opinion.

• Root Admin

[quote name='apophys' date='18 August 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1282146407' post='66458']
The best solution in such a situation is to become an adept of Muratus del Mur. ;)
[/quote]

And then you appear like a fanboy. You really dont want murs ego to grow that much.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Blackwoodforest' timestamp='1282113171' post='66423']
"No one" is a player :ph34r:
[/quote]
He would have to be. The adept box doesn't accept any names not associated with a player.

More on topic: I can't confirm this, since I wasn't interested at the time (so hopefully someone else can confirm or deny this), but I have heard you loose your mentor and protector when you advance MP level, and need to set them again.

Edit: Grido has informed us this in inaccurate (see below)

Edited by Kyphis the Bard