Fan Go Boom!

I am Bored

this fan WAS keeping my graphics card cool...

[img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh131/1blah111111/45851_153761424637394_100000106119343_491650_4176702_n.jpg[/img]

now it just belongs at the base of a blender... doing the blending...

Edited by I am Bored

it was an improvised fan for the graphics card, i had it glued (with krazy glue (yes i know it's bad for electronics ;) ) (it's a type of super glue btw) ) to the side of the case, because the fan on the graphics card was totally broken, and it was overheating, and it actually worked for a while, but the top of the attachment came loose, and made it start vibrating, so i went to stop the fan and then lift it up (it usually will vibrate because the fan isn't sitting right in the housing) but as the top had seperated, when i pushed down, the entire thing came off, and it hit the corner of the graphics card...... there are more peices around me btw, thank god i had it in a server case.... would have been a much bigger problem if it hadn't been.... but the only other card i have isn't linux friendly..... (once the linux kernel loads, the entire screen blanks and shuts off) so now i have no graphics card that works.... and it's a dual 2.4 ghz xeon cpu computer too.... 500 gb sata hard drive in it currently.... though it supports up to 8 sata drives in a hardware raid array, it has 2gb of ram too... not that good in terms of ram though.... i'm gonna have a tough time ahead of me trying to get that thing to work..

Either way, get to the hospital and get that taken out before you get an infection.

Edit: Edited so as to fix my post. He replied while I was responding to the thread.

Edited by Curiose

[quote name='Curiose' date='19 August 2010 - 01:55 AM' timestamp='1282175754' post='66503']
Ick...

I would hate the feeling of having strange things in my body...
How can you stand it?
[/quote]
You shouldn't feel it; our sense of touch exists mainly on the skin, not deeper inside. It's the entry wounds that you feel or if it gets infected. Which is a good thing since it can take a lot of time for plastics to be degraded/expelled if that even happens.

[quote name='I am Bored' date='19 August 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1282173307' post='66501']
they're way to small to matter.
[/quote]

That's bad logic, very bad, smaller is more dangerous because it does damage to you that you can't see

• Root Admin

[quote name='Grido' date='19 August 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1282208197' post='66528']
That's bad logic, very bad, smaller is more dangerous because it does damage to you that you can't see
[/quote]

Obviously. So when i stab you with a needle its obviously going to do more damage than a scythe.

[quote name='Chewett' date='19 August 2010 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1282223587' post='66543']
Obviously. So when i stab you with a needle its obviously going to do more damage than a scythe.
[/quote]

I guess he ment, if he stabs you with a hundred needles, you will have about 100 times more chance to receive damage, infects, lose blood or so. YOu don´t realize a wound but it still is there, right, Grido?

Edited by Blackwoodforest

[quote name='That Other Guy' date='18 August 2010 - 11:36 PM' timestamp='1282167378' post='66495']
Liquid cooling ftw, much less of a shrapnel hazard. O.o In your arm though What happened?! I hope you are ok :s
[/quote]

Just for the record: Unless you have a PC with an extremely low TDP, which is hard considering your going to need everything watercooled including your MB chipset as you don't have airflow. As well as your PSU which heats up your loop significantly. You are going to need fans to actively cool your radiators. Unless your referring to liquid nitrogen, which would be a pain in day to day use. All in all, liquid cooling without fans is always going to bring huge disadvantages :)

As for IAB: Why did you substitute the GPU fan with a 80 mm fan? Why not just replace the VGA cooler? Oh and is your GPU now broken or does it just not work because it overheats? Depending on the card (if it's a consumer card) and it's age, it's likely that someone will have a reference cooler laying around somewhere which you should be able to get cheap/free...

This is a reminder I shouldn't open my case while my PC is on through (so far I've touched fans and it hurts... But none have shattered, yet)

that was a fan off of a cpu, and it was 60mm not 80mm :P so ;) well, i now have a port for the fan on the motherboard.... so lets see if we can't hook up my 2 80 mm fans out of old, dead power units through that..... see if that will be enough to cool it :D

Edited by I am Bored

oh well... i now have a new graphics card in it.... took me about 2 hours to get it working, but i finally did..... and figured out that not only does it support 'high' resolutions, it also supports super low resolutions, such as 320 by 175 for instance, or 320 by 240, it has about 16 different possible resolutions.... might have more if i didn't have a CRT monitor..... can't get the dual setup to work either.... then again, it wasn't meant for Linux, so getting it working as good as i have is a pretty good achievement..... right now the monitor looks to be what's limiting my capabilities.... though it can do about 70 fps on a rather graphic intensive flight simulator (during maneuvers as well)