Issues

Dear Beloved MD Community;

I am sorry [and deeply saddened] to say that I am no longer able to play Magic Duel.

My computer crashes within thirty seconds of logging in, and I don't know what I can do to make it stop. I am currently paying for a laptop which will... quite honestly, take me some time to get, and until then, my time on MD will be very limited.

If anyone has any ideas of what I can do to prevent this... I would be greatly appreciated.
My apologies to any inconvenience I have caused.

Everyone can still reach me via forums and messenger, but all PMs MUST be sent to me by forum or e mail, for I will not be able to respond until my computer ultimately crashes.

Thank you, and once more, I apologize.

Curiose.

If it's specifically MD that you are having issues with and only after logging in, I would try clearing your cache, downloading the newest flash player for your browser. Also, try a different browser. As far as I know MD supports Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Google Chrome. I don't know whether Safari is supported.

I have actually used another browser; Internet Explorer.

Currently, I use Opera, and I do not know how to empty my cash. Yes, it is specifically MD, for every other website I have used works just fine.

Also: I do not believe using a new version of flash would prevent my computer from turning off, and restarting.

Edited by Curiose

[color="#8B0000"][font="Palatino Linotype"]:) Sad day that you're having technical difficulties. I hope someone will be able to come up with a way to solve the issue. *hugs*[/font][/color]

Curiose,

I would like to suggest checking that your power supply are firmly connected to your motherboard. I had a similar issue where my computer's power supply was slightly loose, and it would shut off at the slightest touch. If your computer is currently a laptop, it probably isn't the power supply, since the battery is connected separately.

Good luck.

[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1282785440' post='67053']
I do not know how to empty my cache.
[/quote]

In the latest Firefox, there are 2 ways:

1. Tools -> Options -> Advanced tab -> Network tab -> Clear Now

2. Tools -> Clear Recent History -> under Details, select Cache -> Clear Now

Alternately, you could find the folder and manually delete its contents.

:)

But I don't think MD could be causing your computer to shut off. It's possible that your computer just runs out of RAM; I've seen a computer that did so. Are you running several other programs while on MD, or have several other open firefox tabs?
Do you have active antivirus software?

[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1282837038' post='67070']
OKAY! So I am on MD at the moment on My computer anddddd.....

So far no Crashing.
YAY!
[/quote]

Well I was worried there for a moment when I was reading your post, but hopefully you will return with good news! Please let everyone know if it is completely resolved or not, we would all hate to see you leave. ;)

Edited by The Great Wanderer

I do believe the issue is resolved.

From what Darigan and I have concluded:
The computer was over heating, and whenever accessing Magic Duel, it would be tipped over the edge because it produces more heat than any other site.

[I don't know computer lingo.. so I apologize for my fumbling]

Because the room it is in retains heat, that is also a contributing factor. It was 100 or so degrees out yesterday, which exacerbated the issue.

After the computer cooled for the night, I believe that it is back to its regular status. : 3

Sorry for the worries; I was quite upset myself.

[quote name='Shadowseeker' timestamp='1282845473' post='67079']
Tip: Get a better fan. I shudder at the thought of your comp overheating due to MD already..
[/quote]

you'd be surprised - my core 2 duo 2GHz work laptop stays at a steady 100% when playing MD in firefox, while in ie (or other sites in ff) it maxxes at 5-10%

• Root Admin

[quote name='Shadowseeker' timestamp='1282845473' post='67079']
Tip: Get a better fan. I shudder at the thought of your comp overheating due to MD already..Or, if you lack cash, open the frame of it, and take one part out. DO NOT DRINK around the tower if you do so. I play with that, and my prior overheats are gone now.
[/quote]

I dont like to contradict you. but this is a pretty BAD thing to do. A entire computer is built so that airflow is tightly controlled. So that it specifically blows in cooler air. if its open then the general direction of the cooler air isnt so controlled, and instead of trying to cool a small inclosed space, its also trying to cool the entire room.

@Curry

If it has worked on 100 degrees, there's 2 possible causes for it overheating now: Hardware malfunction or piled up dust.

Could you check what GPU it contains? Nvidia 8000 and 9000 series are usually due to overheating after a year or 2 because of poor solder used in manufacturing. If so, I imagine you get a bsod (blue screen of death) saying the Nvidia driver crashed... (I'm not exactly sure but I think it starts with nv) In this case, you won't be able to fix it with adding a fan as the problem will only continue to get worse with time (first hand experience with that).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_find_out_what_kind_of_graphics_card_you_have

Also: a case fan is by far more efficient than putting a room blowing fan on it (not to mention more quiet and not taking up space). In close to all cases it's pretty easy, a matter of 4 screws and plugging in the cord. And the extra liquid warning only counts during installation (not that it's a good idea to toss liquids on closed cases...)

And Toten, there's definitely something wrong there too... I'm on a 2.66 GHz quad and I'm peaking at 10%

I believe we have had this computer for about.. four years now?

But yes, I will keep that in mind for future references. We may end up buying a new computer once our income is better.

It won't be a problem once I get my laptop, though.

Admittedly, it's a hotfix for the lazy, but no computer which is somewhat decent has a cooler that breaks down that fast..in some cases (this sounded just like mine) this hotfix helps...simply because the case is storing up the heat.

It's about what outside temp you have as well, partially.

if it's a laptop - take it in to get it cleaned (i wouldn't recommend doing this yourself unless you're quite tech savvy), you'll be amazed at the temp drop if you monitor temps.
if it's a desktop - get one of those cans of compressed air or even some cotton swabs and a vacuum and clean all the coolers and heatsinks, especially for the cpu and power supply - this is pretty easy to do by yourself, most of the better cases even have detachable/washable dust filters on the intake fans.

PS - for the lazy i highly recommend water cooling for cpu and video card - way less to clean, especially in the harder to reach areas (and much smoother overclocking if you're so inclined) ;)