Belladonna Berries

Zelath

In the details about Deadly Nightshade i just found i the game it states "The plant berries pose the greatest danger to children because they look attractive and have a somewhat sweet taste, but they are extremely deadly even in small quantities."
And that is true. With a tiny twist to it. In the beautyful berries there are Seeds - and its them that are poisones as old pickles. The fruit in it self dont contain atropine (the poison).. So in the mongolian part of the world, some women sit with tiny wooden spoons and remove the seeds from the fruit (not good to use anything sharp and damage the seeds and contaminate the fruit).. and then make Marmelade out of the fruits.. Heard its delicious.

( >< I wrote this whole Shpeel on Atropa Belladonna then the pc went AWOL...need to retype again!!)

[color="#2e8b57"][i]Atropa Belladonna, otherwise known as the Deadly nighshade, is one of my favourite plants (gets a close second to the Orchid) Atropa comes from the Greek Atropas, a Fate who held the shears to cut the thread of human life. Belladonna is Italian for beautiful lady.

Its deadly character is due to the presence of an alkaloid, Atropine, 1/10 grain of which swallowed by a man has occasioned symptoms of poisoning. As every part of the plant is extremely poisonous, neither leaves, berries, nor root should be handled if there are any cuts or abrasions on the hands. The root is the most poisonous, the leaves and flowers less so, and the berries, except to children, least of all. It is said that an adult may eat two or three berries without injury, but dangerous symptoms appear if more are taken, and it is wiser not to attempt the experiment.

Medicinally this plant has many uses. Its a narcotic, mydriatic, pain reliever, antispasmodic and sedatitive. Atropine is used widely in the diagnosis and (sometimes) treatment of eye conditions.

[/i][/color][color="#2e8b57"][i] The various preparations of Belladonna have many uses. Locally applied, it lessens irritability and pain, and is used as a lotion, plaster or liniment in cases of neuralgia, gout, rheumatism and sciatica. As a drug, it specially affects the brain and the bladder. It is used to check excessive secretions and to allay inflammation and to check the sweating of phthisis and other exhausting diseases. [/i][/color]

[color="#2e8b57"][i] Small doses allay cardiac palpitation, and the plaster is applied to the cardiac region for the same purpose, removing pain and distress. [/i][/color]

[color="#2e8b57"][i] It is a powerful antispasmodic in intestinal colic and spasmodic asthma. Occasionally the leaves are employed as an ingredient of cigarettes for relieving the latter. It is well borne by children, and is given in large doses in whooping cough and false croup. [/i][/color]

[color="#2e8b57"][i] For its action on the circulation, it is given in the collapse of pneumonia, typhoid fever and other acute diseases. It increases the rate of the heart by some 20 to 40 beats per minute, without diminishing its force. [/i][/color]

[color="#2e8b57"][i] It is of value in acute sore throat, and relieves local inflammation and congestion. [/i][/color]

[color="#2e8b57"][i] It been documented that tincture of Belladonna given in very small doses will protect from the infection of scarlet fever, and at one time Belladonnna leaves were held to be curative of cancer, when applied externally as a poultice, either fresh or dried and powdered. [/i][/color]
[color="#2e8b57"][i]
Edited for typo's[/i][/color]

Edited by Sharazhad

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

don't ignore the dangers about that plant. It is highly deadly. While its symbolic/secret value remains valid, considering this is a place where many childred might come, it is important that the "DEADLY" part is put forward and not "MARMELADE" if you get my point :)
interesting info anyway