better advertising?

Jubaris

Okay.

So what I was thinking, since Rhaegar's idea is a bit more concrete, I still think that having an overall newspaper of which highlights ideas/events/happenings of what is going on in MD is a great way to help with the advertising. My idea would be this:

Newspaper:
[Content]
[content]
[Content]

[Advertising information]
[Advertising information]

Etc. Stuff like that, basically. The thought is, to have maybe pictures, enticing information that would draw in the people's thoughts. Also, remember: LAYOUTS are also a HUUUUUGE part of how you advertise, and not just the way you say things or what you put on there. Anywho.

My suggestion, is possibly send it out like a newsletter... but not like spam. More like... if people are interested, they can see more, almost like a written trailer. Or, what you could do, is on [if you decided to] an 'official' page, have the newsletter in a specific section and have it catalogued with dates and such. Kind of like the AL but more reporterish style.

Offtopic: If you decide you are doing an advertising ad, make it short, clean, easy to read, and lastly but most importantly, to the point. I ran some stuff and organized it, and advertised it before on my own in real life, and I learned this stuff pretty quickly. People don't want to read gobs and gobs of information that won't get them the right information that they want to see.

Let me know if you need/want any help. : 3 I would be happy to.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1295500556' post='77740']
Okay. So what I was thinking, since Rhaegar's idea is a bit more concrete, I still think that having an overall newspaper of which highlights ideas/events/happenings of what is going on in MD is a great way to help with the advertising. My idea would be this:Newspaper:[Content][content][Content][Advertising information][Advertising information]Etc. Stuff like that, basically. The thought is, to have maybe pictures, enticing information that would draw in the people's thoughts. Also, remember: LAYOUTS are also a HUUUUUGE part of how you advertise, and not just the way you say things or what you put on there. Anywho. My suggestion, is possibly send it out like a newsletter... but not like spam. More like... if people are interested, they can see more, almost like a written trailer. Or, what you could do, is on [if you decided to] an 'official' page, have the newsletter in a specific section and have it catalogued with dates and such. Kind of like the AL but more reporterish style. Offtopic: If you decide you are doing an advertising ad, make it short, clean, easy to read, and lastly but most importantly, to the point. I ran some stuff and organized it, and advertised it before on my own in real life, and I learned this stuff pretty quickly. People don't want to read gobs and gobs of information that won't get them the right information that they want to see. Let me know if you need/want any help. : 3 I would be happy to.
[/quote]

Even from MD, something emailing me every month or so without me clicking a button explicitly asking for it, i would consider it spam. Considering you cant change your email address on MD, i dont think emailing it out would be a great idea.

And if you are merely refereing to something ingame, The MDNP died, and no one has tried to pick it back up. If it were to be revived it would need to be smaller.

Yeah, I was referring to the MDNP.

I knew it died, but I thought this would be a nice way to get it started back up a bit, and lube up the rusting wheels and such. I don't know how it was run previously, so I hope that this wasn't picking up old ideas that people had. And even so, I don't think an official alliance has to be done to make this work anyway. Just some volunteers, I'd like to think.

It worked quite well for some time, even... was a fun time back then. ^^

But since Gargle had no time for layout and stepping on our toes anymore, it kind of faded. There are not many who want to write constantly, and once half the staff is gone, it's hard to get articles, specially if you don't want to miss things, still.
When there's like 15 things to attend, and 'normal stuff' that you are doing at the same time (quest creation, questing, fight, social issues), it's hard to keep people motivated for writing pieces...

And without pieces, there's no way of a paper.

If you can find people willing to write consistently, then send them my way (as a technicality I'm in charge of MDNP, for lack of a better option)
@Chew, people ~have~ tried to pick it back up, just hasn't worked without the people writing

@Curi, from what I read you mean more of the newsletter thing that the Archivists started doing a while back, people clicked what they wanted to see etc, and it got emailed, totally optional, again, you have the issue of getting people to write the different parts

Find the writers, and it can be done, if you can't it won't, because unless you're extremely dedicated, and don't do too much else (other than paper/newsletter) with your time, you can't write it all yourself.

Yes, that is what I meant.

I didn't mean a huge, blown out MDNP version, but a mini one that gives highlights and tidbits of juicy tantalizing information about the game that would draw newbies in.

I was thinking, perhaps a small column, like... Quest of the month or something, where some of the quests would be reviewed and given a rating and such. And then there would be upcoming events, like a calendar and stuff like current events and an opinions page.
Fyrdy was trying to do something of a gossip-column thing, or whatever of sorts so if you like, Grido, I can talk to him about LS doing some writing.

I don't mind volunteering-- at least it gives the alliance something close to what it was supposed to do.

All of this is basically supposed to be a written trailer, and is supposed to be at least a page. Nothing larger than that.