better advertising?

Jubaris

I dont know how much Mur is spending money on advertising sites that we see on Free Credits, but I think a better job would be done with the following:

-instead of those sites, that the money gets invested into a creating a video made from MD gameplay, one interesting part from story mode, then a player traveling between scenes, MD fight simulations, creatures and equips, adventure log texts... We all know that MD interface is outstanding, and a video would surely make some effect, and I dont think making such videos takes a lot of time, especially since all you do is record.

-make an active Facebook MD group with tags RPG and such (tags that would fit the game genre best and attract right population) that would post new trailers-videos for MD, screenshots, parts of adventure log...

-probably the most important one: contacting game and in general computer magazines or any fitting newspapers to make a little column about MD.

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen

yea, it would be a great idea ...

But there are problems.
For example ... the game
- is changing slow -> limit of advertisement on new features
- has friction between players & retention of new players is very low -> the costs must be within income of the game
- number of bugs & speed of fix -> will also put some stress onto players

Also Mur stated once that this game is not a business. And the game requires money just to sustain itself.

So ... I know that changing MdM's opinion is difficult. So ... good luck.

Anyway, if you want another idea (I already discussed this with him) : make it available on facebook with certain ... benefits. For example when one is giving a burst others can get something out of it.

But ... as I said, the game is moving slow and the number of programmers ... is not that big ;)

[url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/MagicDuel-RPG/139981179346102#!/pages/MagicDuel-RPG/139981179346102?v=wall"]New Facebook Page[/url]

Will be kept up to date by a group of active players.

If you have any suggestions, please give me or the other admins a pm.

Might I ask just a simple question?

Why is the website at the Facebook page a referral link?

Just asking because I think it's not fair and not actually attracting to new players if they knew a referral link if they see one.

Just want to point that out.

May all of us be guided.

~Luc

A Page and a Group are two entirely different things.

And what benefits do I gain? Adepts? I am referring people to MD through this page, what is the difference if I am advertising through a forum, YIM, or Facebook?

This is not giving me any monetary gains, or an advantage over others. So there ISN'T a problem.

We are allowed to refer people to MD. As long as the means aren't illegal, then I am allowed to do it.

[quote name='No one' timestamp='1295358263' post='77565']
yea, it would be a great idea ...

But there are problems.
For example ... the game
- is changing slow -> limit of advertisement on new features
- has friction between players & retention of new players is very low -> the costs must be within income of the game
- number of bugs & speed of fix -> will also put some stress onto players

Also Mur stated once that this game is not a business. And the game requires money just to sustain itself.

So ... I know that changing MdM's opinion is difficult. So ... good luck.

Anyway, if you want another idea (I already discussed this with him) : make it available on facebook with certain ... benefits. For example when one is giving a burst others can get something out of it.

But ... as I said, the game is moving slow and the number of programmers ... is not that big ;)
[/quote]

yes, but we dont need show the whole recording, but cut the -loading- parts. Insert some nice fitting music too ^^ We could make several, actually, if only I was good enough with time and knowledge on video edits, I would do it myself (with Murs permission of course), where we would have a dynamic song for battles and such, and more tranquiling for scenes, adventure log... :)
now when I think of it, trailer making is art! :D

cost of these projects shouldnt be high at all, it can all be -fan made- or such cause it isnt complicated, it just takes some effort (Mur is a good programmer, he could make a trailer himself, while members of MD could message newspapers in their own countries to report on MD, and that has effects, i wittnessed it for another game for example, eRepublik, -baby boom- was made via local newspapers)

about bugs, every browser game has some, we will present in our adverts that this game is under constant development, we could make new trailers from time to time or we could make some focusing on things that aint gonna change, at least not soon.

for the MD costs in general... well, new players also bring new Supporters, so hopefully something like this would help.

Benefits like referal codes? yes that would inspire a lot of people to bring their friends, other games have that a lot, but we already have that with 15$-upon-mp5 thing, as far as I know it didnt make MUCH of effect on our population (i could be wrong, but is there anyone -known- enough in MD that came here using referal from a friend who invited him/her?).

I might missunderstood you on few suggestions due to my lack of knowledge on english, please correct me if so.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Vicarious' timestamp='1295362558' post='77574']
I can remove it if people have a problem with it. Doesn't really matter to me. :)It's not like I get any kind of REAL benefit from it.
[/quote]

You will remove it as people have a problem with it. Because as you said it doesnt matter to you.

[quote name='Chewett' timestamp='1295371209' post='77595']
You will remove it as people have a problem with it. Because as you said it doesnt matter to you.
[/quote]

But no one has said what the actual problem is. Apparently I am "scamming" people. O.o I fail to see how using my refferal link to recruit people into MD is bad. If it's against the rules, and not just because people are mad that I thought of it first.

It's a GOOD way to get people to join MD. Yeah, I benefit from it. But MD benefits from it.

Now, tell me a REAL reason why it's wrong, and I will remove it. Not just because you or dst say it's wrong. I want a reason, not just an order.

[quote name='Vicarious' timestamp='1295371754' post='77598']
But no one has said what the actual problem is. Apparently I am "scamming" people. O.o I fail to see how using my refferal link to recruit people into MD is bad. If it's against the rules, and not just because people are mad that I thought of it first.

It's a GOOD way to get people to join MD. Yeah, I benefit from it. But MD benefits from it.

Now, tell me a REAL reason why it's wrong, and I will remove it. Not just because you or dst say it's wrong. I want a reason, not just an order.
[/quote]

Well, I followed someone's referral link here, which made me their Adept. But it's pretty easy to change who you Adept to.
...unless I am totally misunderstanding the bitterness towards using such a link. I mean, in the larger scheme of things, does it matter how new folks like myself joined, if we/they stick around and enjoy themselves enough to spread the word even farther?

can you Seigheart and Chewett stop discussing about possible Seighearts abuse, and possibly move it to another topic? :D

about the Facebook page, I think it should have number of topics talking about interesting things in MD, one explaining how Adventure Log is a story of the realm where people can be involved, other showing screenshots from combat, third talking about roles in the realm (lands and such).

People should update some pics from time to time, and the one who runs the page should generally try to find some active fan pages of RPG games in general, where our page owner would develop a decent -standard- (aka spam) message with a link to our fan page with an invitation for people to check out the game and read the topic to see if they like our game.

[b]edit:[/b] about seigheart page tho, if they use your referal, then it isnt an MD site, but Seigheart site :P
I tho am talking about a page whos owner doesnt get individual benefits from it, but something for the progress of the game in general.

Oh trust me, I am advertising MD all through out many forms of communication. :)

Edit to Rhaegar:

My referral link isn't "mine" it is still MD's. So, yes it is MDs.

So what if I benefit from it. I get to be MP6 if I wanted to. Big whoop. Stop complaining over something so ridiculous.

Edited by Vicarious

its not just adepts, its 15$ when they get on mp5 :D
but even if its only adepthood, again, if the goal is MD advertising, then you should give them the choice of finding mentors on their own, and not making pressure to start as your adepts... I personally dont really care much tho, its just from the perspective of having an -official- MD facebook page

[quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1295346266' post='77562']
I dont know how much Mur is spending money on advertising sites that we see on Free Credits, but I think a better job would be done with the following:

-instead of those sites, that the money gets invested into a creating a video made from MD gameplay, one interesting part from story mode, then a player traveling between scenes, MD fight simulations, creatures and equips, adventure log texts... We all know that MD interface is outstanding, and a video would surely make some effect, and I dont think making such videos takes a lot of time, especially since all you do is record.
[/quote]

The video thing is a great idea, BUT actual advertising needs to stay. Why? Toplist is one of the most efficient ways to gain players, and ranking, for the game, all over net.
[quote]
-make an active Facebook MD group with tags RPG and such (tags that would fit the game genre best and attract right population) that would post new trailers-videos for MD, screenshots, parts of adventure log...
[/quote]
If created It cannot be abandoned. A facebook account needs constant updates, news, etc.. So if you or anyone is planning to create and not update it let me know, and I can add it to the Advertisers tasks.
[quote]
-probably the most important one: contacting game and in general computer magazines or any fitting newspapers to make a little column about MD.
[/quote]

Very interesting idea :D Will talk about it with Mur.

and!! If anyone which to post a referral link do it on your personal page not MagicDuel's Facebook "Official Page"

BFH

I apologize in advance if my thoughts are a bit short sighted, (I have no internet or means of transportation so phone is how i am keeping updated) but, the thought of a newspaper, etc, would be a nice way of reviving the MDP. That is the first thing that comes to mind.

The revival would be a good way to integrate the advertisers and MDP so as to work together for community and advertising. I haven't thought this through completely, but i thought i might as well toss this out here. What do you all think?

[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1295385131' post='77613']
I apologize in advance if my thoughts are a bit short sighted, (I have no internet or means of transportation so phone is how i am keeping updated) but, the thought of a newspaper, etc, would be a nice way of reviving the MDP. That is the first thing that comes to mind.

The revival would be a good way to integrate the advertisers and MDP so as to work together for community and advertising. I haven't thought this through completely, but i thought i might as well toss this out here. What do you all think?
[/quote]

I agree to this.
I know it's been dead a long time ago before I was even playing it's just sad for me to miss such a feature.

Off topic:
Vicarious let me give you an example why it's like a "scam".

What if I was selling candies and you said "This is a new product of MD, just buy from me to get it now" But actually customers can buy those candy at the "MD store" directly.

This example above would've been great but you did this:

You sold the candies that has benefits for the retailer and not the "MD store" and without properly telling your customers what will happen if they bought for you.

If I wasn't clear I'm sorry.
If I offended you I'm not sorry because you used referral links for the wrong reasons.

May all of us be guided.

~Luc

I'm pretty certain you could've thought that yourself, but regardless.

Just for my sort of foggy clarity, out of the...I think it's 6 or 7 Facebook groups/pages that currently exist, NONE of them are official.

And unless Mur/Council states it as such, none of them will be, no matter how determined you (general) might be, actually it's probably classed as copyright infringement if you don't have permission, not that you'd get sued or anything for promoting a game, just saying.

BFH is the leader of the new advertisers and I'm happy about his good feedback on meh ideas.
Facebook page doesn't have to be official from Mur, but if it's lead by a proper person (like BFH - leader of advertisers) it would be perfect.

About my part on all of this:
Since I'm not an advertiser and I wouldn't like to commit myself fully to advertising MD, I would like you BFH to make an official "advertising" MD group whose goal would be to bring new players (and not glorify current players addictions :D), where I would be happy to be of help with screenshoting, ideas on what could be done for the page to get more effect and such, probably write a topic or two about the game in that page as well.

About newspapers, I will also message one magazine here that focuses on computers and is very popular around here (and should get serious audience) once I experience the best ways of advertising MD via that Facebook fan page, so I make sure the magazine will be intrigued to write about us :)

Come to think of it, this is a good way to practice some advertising that might be handy for me at some point in the future :D

[b]edit:[/b] oh, and don't worry Seigheart, you know that I will always love you :D