Sludge and floods discussions

Sharazhad

[color="#2e8b57"][i]Alright to avoid confusion, post your findings, theories and discussions here. Please do not confuse this with the story line. The story line, is there to tell the story, and update readers on what has happened so far. [b] This is for all your theories and discussions, questions and findings regarding sludge and the flood.[/b][/i][/color][b]

[/b]

[quote name='aranna' timestamp='1296045696' post='78039']
being the first to post on this topic i would like to put forward the motion that the sludge be called squishy as the sludge has a tendancy to be alive
[/quote]

While called the Black Sludge, in the story line, Sagewoman has identified it as Milungus, a cross of the words Mildew and Fungus.
After further discussion with Sharazhad about the Black Sludge, Sagewoman comes to the conclusion that what she remembers from the past is vague and allows that she made a hasty judgment.

Edited by SageWoman

[quote name='SageWoman' timestamp='1296049792' post='78040']
While called the Black Sludge, in the story line, Sagewoman has identified it as Milungus, a cross of the words Mildew and Fungus.
[/quote]

[color="#2e8b57"][i]Tests have proven that this is not fungal or mildew, infact when Firsan poured a home-made common household cleaner over it, it grew larger. fungus or mildew would have had caused the sludge to shrink.
'
Aranna there is no definition that I came across that suggests the sludge has to be alive.

[/i][/color]

[color="#0000ff"][i]OOC :Chewy its simple, you dont just declare something and then all of a sudden it is- Its obviously not Liquid Dust and/or Black water because of all the rammifications that come with it.Obviously I cant take everyone's RP and say what think the sludge is - Id have 100's of different versions of sludge. Thats why the story line is separate.

The story line is "factual" and comes from events within game, so for example if you rp'd that you got a wart from the sludge then I would write on the story line that Chewy stuck his finger in the sludge and developed a wart. Id like players to come up with suggestions, and a plausible theory - that has been Rp'd in game (preferrably) so you cant say, well I think the black sludge is living ooze without actually checking it out. Get my drift?

Sage, I believe ,may have mistaken her finding with something else. Its not Milungus. Its not Liquid Dust. It is a sludge that is making Mya and Darigan sick and whoever else that has direct contact with it.

I hope this answers your question. :)
[/i][/color]

Edited by Sharazhad

I don't necessarily know anything about the spores that Yrth was needing way back when, but... if I am not mistaken, KC has a hold of one or two of them, ja?

What I was thinking... was, a spore might have fallen from him or stolen, or whatever and drifted to where it is now. It could be like black mold only... sludgier.

I hope this will be acceptable.

[quote name='aranna' timestamp='1296123369' post='78080']
but cant we call it squishy? its still whatever the hell it is but name it squishy so so far its squishy the black sludge
[/quote]

[color="#2e8b57"][i]No Aranna, its not called, Squishy, its Sludge. I would appreciate it, if you did not rename it. Again you cant's just declare something and then suddenly it is that. If you have some in a jar, what are you doing with it? Performing experiments? observing it? What have you noticed about it? Again, please dont post your conclusions without actually Rping it in game first. [/i][/color]

[quote name='Sharazhad' timestamp='1296130584' post='78085']
[color="#2e8b57"][i]No Aranna, its not called, Squishy, its Sludge. I would appreciate it, if you did not rename it. Again you cant's just declare something and then suddenly it is that. If you have some in a jar, what are you doing with it? Performing experiments? observing it? What have you noticed about it? Again, please dont post your conclusions without actually Rping it in game first. [/i][/color]
[/quote]
i said CANT we not it is now called squishy. it was just a sugestion

[quote]I don't necessarily know anything about the spores that Yrth was needing way back when, but... if I am not mistaken, KC has a hold of one or two of them, ja?

What I was thinking... was, a spore might have fallen from him or stolen, or whatever and drifted to where it is now. It could be like black mold only... sludgier. [/quote]

KC's guards obtained one unknown spore and gave it to him.
He went to Golemus over two months ago, to my knowledge he is still there and has not left.
And he still has the spore in his inventory.

Edited by Azull

My theories:

The onyx shard may have been settled into the bottom of Raven's piece, and when Shara's magic backfired, became tainted in the process, and became a biproduct. It may have a connection, or it might not.

My other theory, is that since there is an unclaimed spore out there, it MAY have found its way to LR and began germination there. Again, fueled by the backfiring of magic.

[quote name='Darigan' timestamp='1296414393' post='78274']
There is one other unknown spore not in KC's possession
[/quote]
[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1296425977' post='78280']
My other theory, is that since there is an unclaimed spore out there, it MAY have found its way to LR and began germination there. Again, fueled by the backfiring of magic.
[/quote]

There are at least two other unknown spores. Yrthilian and Handypockets each have one.
Who knows, there may be more out there.

Edited by Azull

Wait, so the two unknown spores are the ones in Handy and Yrth's posession?

If I remember correctly, doesn't Handy also possess a seed for Lands of the East? Or, seeds for -all- the mainlands?

I might be jumping the gun or making incorrect assumptions/connections, but, are these seeds simply the seeds for the land? I do remember that they were of great importance. A spore is basically a fungal's way of reproducing, unless they're a parasite, like the Catapillar Mushroom, which uses insects to carry on the genetic line.

Shara and I ruled out a fungus because it's not behaving as a fungus would.

What is the difference between Handy's seed and the spore?

Edit:
I think I should make my thoughts a bit more linear.

My thought, which would be the 'assumptuous connections,' is that spore is just another name for seed. And my reasoning for that was the introduction of what a spore is. .. Funny how I missed an entire sentence.

Edited by Curiose

[color="#0000ff"][i]So, earlier today Sharazhad and Firsan were inspecting the shard that was found in Mya's sample. Firsan recognised it as the shard that was embedded in his arm when Granos' cut him with his Kris many moons ago. He threw it in the lake for good measure thinking he will never see it again.

The question is now: Is the sludge tainted? if so What would have caused it to activate!?! and how much of it is tainted? Is this a clue to getting rid of the sludge?[/i][/color]

[quote name='Curiose' timestamp='1296881266' post='78489']
Its components, mind you, may have been part to what has actually caused it to react. Kind of like how metal oxides to create rust.
[/quote]
[color="#2e8b57"]
[i]Care to expand on that theory?[/i][/color]

Well, as you explained earlier, the Kris is associated with a taint of sorts. The Kris, may have remnants of said taint, which then infected the earth but was given said ability by the gains of your magic backfiring.

However, the fact the shard was in there MAY have also been why it backfired in the first place.

My thoughts is that the shard is not a large enough sample to do testing with. So, if you wanna play with sharp things, I suggest piecing the shard with the entire body of the Kris. Mind you, these are only hypotheses.

Unless we are wanting to plainly speak about whatever elements make up the kris in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

Perahps the sludge IS a Bi-product of the onyx shard. If so I would have said that it's not the actually sludge that causes the harm. It could be that whatever the shard reacted with, caused the oxygen bonds that formed the Onyx(SiO2) to react with a more reactive substance within the lake( perhaps an algae of some sort ) which would have then caused the Silicon, within the onyx, to become a fine silica dust. This dust ,when breathed in, can act as a carcinogenic(in large amounts). Cancer of certain areas of the body can cause the infected area not to function properly, and thus cause a build up of chemicals. These chemicals can then have hallucinogenic effects. Though for this to be true there are many things that will have had to either happen..or not happen. For example the Silicon would have had to not react with anything else, which seeing as it was in water, was very unlikely. Also the cancer would have to be of an area of the body that uses chemicals regularly, say the liver. Then there is the problem of what sort of hallucination this would cause: Visual? Auditory? Olfactory? Perhaps even Tactile, though many of these would be very unlikely to happen due to a chemical build up...(though it would depend on the chemical)

There are many variables in my idea..but it is another perspective.. :3

Edited by Sasha Lilias

• 2 weeks later...

Nature of the sludge

Rumi has spent two weeks now inside the Oak Fort and I have spent a great deal of time considering the nature of the sludge and how it has interacted with various players. The following is what has come to me (and thus to Rumi as well through communication from total personal infestation of the sludge inside the Oak Fort)

The sludge is basically a type of pollen. It is part of an advanced reproductive system, where a mass of this gamete material is actively seeking out a partner to complete the reproductive cycle.

The plant that is trying to reproduce lives deep at the bottom of Green Lake and was in the middle of its natural reproductive cycle when it was disrupted by the sudden earth and water magic.

The gamete mass is aware that is has not made fertilization and is actively working to achieve this. After the flood, the residue appeared on dry land, activating it's ability and desire to manipulate other life forms as a form of transport. This evolutionary step has allowed it to survive the alteration of its ecology by enabling movement over land.

It has taken hold in the Oak Fort and has attempted to use Mya and Darigan as hosts to find its way to a partner in the lake or in another body of water, elsewhere in the realm. Unfortunately, the host experiences side effects, as in the similar case of ants which act as hosts to the fungus Cordyceps Unilateralis. Mya lost her sense of self completely in the process while the sludge drew massive energy from Darigan, causing him also to temporarily lose his sense of self in massive fits of hunger.

Running into the lake would calm Darigan by making the gamete mass dormant, but it would reactivate not long after he came up onto dry land. The lake-mineral salve prepared for Darigan by Mya generated the same effect, basically tricking the sludge into dormancy.

As for the kris shard? Classic red herring. Classic.

If anyone has any ideas or comments they would like to add, I'm sure it will help the roleplay when Rumi exits the Oak Fort shortly.

Edited by Rumi