Herbs

Muratus del Mur

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' timestamp='1311365693' post='88628']
for gathering you will need a tool , at least to hold them. There will be baskets, unless better idea comes up. I want herbs to be the most accessible resource, so these tools will be crafted from other resources, unlimitedly. Will be nice to see what happens when anyone could eventually get a tool..there are major consequences you probably don't realise yet.
[/quote]

I already have a Nightshade Chest and Pouch . Both sugest by me. Traded for them after release.
I also have a box of matches and a pipe .... Let the Nightshade Flow my people !!
I'm running out of herb !

Alternatively, you could catagorize by biological anatomy -- flowers, leaves, bark, root, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Fodder is another name to use for dead weeds. Compost generally includes garbage and scraps too.

[Per Rumi's note - add resin/sap/extract to the list].

Edited by Fyrd Argentus

Why not seperate herbs based on citizenship? Example, a Lorerootian has a better chance of getting healing herbs than toxic herbs, whereas a Necrovion citizen has the opposite, etc.

All players still have a chance of gathering each type, but each land would have a bigger stockpile of their highest chance type to trade with others. No need for guilds, trade starts to happen more often, and rainbows and butterflies are shiny.

What an exciting topic :D

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/9641-food-and-medicine/

[quote name='Phantom Orchid' timestamp='1311350096' post='88592']
One other suggestion for 'bases' is to break it down by parts of plants:

Roots
Bark
Leaves
Flowers
Fruits
[/quote]

[quote name='Fyrd Argentus' timestamp='1311384817' post='88647']
Alternatively, you could catagorize by biological anatomy -- flowers, leaves, bark, root, fruit, nuts/seeds.
[/quote]

"flowers" can be a category too, could extend use of herbs a lot.
[/quote]
Our trees have various harvestable parts, such as resin, lumber, branches, and bark. These are physically different things to harvest and hold, and each has a different use. An entire plant is sometimes harvested to acquire a root. Otherwise, a person usually harvests some specific part of the plant. (Roots often make strong medicine and harvesting could require a higher skill of identification than harvesting other parts.)

herbs will be in large quantities, after gatjering them, or while gathering them, many will go wasted. I need a good name for useless unidentified herbs, basically field flowers and grass that becomes hay, sort of. Its not hay..i cant find a word for it. In this way you could waste very large quantities of gathered plants to find a rare herb (need a name too)
[/quote]

[quote name='Hedge Munos' timestamp='1311368985' post='88634']
Does the word compost work? Or maybe humus? (No, not hummus, humus.)
[/quote]

[quote name='Fyrd Argentus' timestamp='1311384817' post='88647']
Fodder is another name to use for dead weeds. Compost generally includes garbage and scraps too.
[/quote]
One way to look at compost (another very useful product of mother nature) is green and brown (nitrogen and carbon). What Mur is referring to is brown material. Green material would include fresh herbs, along with food waste, manure, etc.

for gathering you will need a tool , at least to hold them. There will be baskets, unless better idea comes up. I want herbs to be the most accessible resource, so these tools will be crafted from other resources, unlimitedly. Will be nice to see what happens when anyone could eventually get a tool..there are major consequences you probably don't realise yet.
[/quote]
There are many types of harvesting tools for herbs, mostly various forms of blades. I would say the two important categories would be a harvesting knife and a trowel (or hori-hori) for roots.

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' timestamp='1311348592' post='88589']
so far we have:
"Aromatic herbs"
"Tea leaves"
"Toxic plants"
[/quote]
The classifications of herbs that has worked best for me is as follows:

Nourishing - Gentlest herbs, similar to food, no side effects
Tonic - Improves mind and/or body focus, cumulative, rare side effects
Cleansing - Stimulates immune system, not recommended for repeated or regular use, large doses often include side effects
Toxic - Strongest herbs, overdose danger, generally includes side effects

Culinary herbs are generally in the first two categories. A tea can be made from any of these types of herbs, and most teas we commonly drink also fall into the first two categories. Smoking herbs can fall into any of these categories as well.

The herbal dictionary on this midwifery website has more detailed definitions as well as an extensive alphabetical list of medical use classifications and other technical terms (could be useful for identified item descriptions).

http://www.preciouspassage.com/herbal_dictionary.htm

This is a great opportunity for everyone thinking about herbs. One of the areas which needs designing in the community garden is the terraced herb garden. A wishpoint can be earned and there has yet been no submission for the herb garden design.

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/9998-plant-guild-design-quest/

Side note of precaution and general rule of thumb for regenerative ecology. Well established herbs should be harvested no more than 1/3. Rare herbs should be harvested no more than 1/10.

Edited by Rumi

If we are going with your initial ideas of aromatic, tea and toxic, I think we should not divide further by parts as it will create too many sub-types. I think we should either assume those categories include all the available parts, or inversely use the parts as the category, and let those parts be a general resource to cover all kinds of effects (aromatic, toxic, brewed drinks).

Since we already have different tools for other resources, if you decide not to use randomization, you could instead make different kinds of baskets to gather different type of herbs from the single "herbs" resource in the location. If you use randomization route, the hay/weed could have the largest percentage of being harvested, with chances for better herbs improved with skill.

Try this out. Could it be integrated into an item called the Herbologists Guide to Herbs or something.
Names and rarity can be changed. Took me ages to get Deadly Nightshade.

[php]<?php

function herbSelect(){
// use higher numbers for ['rarity'] to make them more common.
$herbs[0]['name'] = 'Useless Herbs';
$herbs[0]['rarity'] = 20;
$herbs[1]['name'] = 'Aromatic Herbs';
$herbs[1]['rarity'] = 10;
$herbs[2]['name'] = 'Tea Leaves';
$herbs[2]['rarity'] = 7;
$herbs[3]['name'] = 'Toxic Plants';
$herbs[3]['rarity'] = 5;
$herbs[4]['name'] = 'General Tonic Herbs';
$herbs[4]['rarity'] = 2;
$herbs[5]['name'] = 'Deadly Nightshade';
$herbs[5]['rarity'] = 1;
foreach($herbs as $herb) {
$totalRarity+=$herb['rarity'];
}
$random=rand(0,$totalRarity);
foreach($herbs as $herb){
$rarityCounter+=$herb['rarity'];
if($rarityCounter>=$random){
return $herb;
}
}
}
$herb=herbSelect();
echo "You have collected some ".$herb['name'];

?>
[/php]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

herbs done. you can share opinions on this topic and discuss current herbs classification if needed. It is possible to add as many types as needed but please check previous posts about what was already discussed before you post something about that. Changing current herb types is not something i will do so adding yes, removing no.