skill increase for defending

Mighty Pirate

ever since, i never bragged the things you thought of about me. it took me more than a year to learn things in MP4 (and i learned nothing but training) and i had this fear on MP5s that made me stay longer in that mp level. yeah i admit, i am not really that strong one as what others think of me, i even consider myself a meat

it is my 3rd week in being an mp5, still learning, still scared of the mp5s who i fear even before, running away from them, and fighting with those mp5s that i see "in-public" that i think i have a chance on winning. that's the way i see the cycle of being a meat in mp5. you are in that mp level in how many months? years? you should know better than anyone else about the 'way of living' in this mp level, but yet you are still complaining about people hiding?

good luck on this gimmick of yours

[quote name='nadrolski' timestamp='1316531479' post='92320']
it is my 3rd week in being an mp5, still learning, still scared of the mp5s who i fear even before, running away from them, and fighting with those mp5s that i see "in-public" that i think i have a chance on winning. that's the way i see the cycle of being a meat in mp5. you are in that mp level in how many months? years? you should know better than anyone else about the 'way of living' in this mp level, but yet you are still complaining about people hiding?

good luck on this gimmick of yours
[/quote]
I have been an MP5 for about 3 years but the number of days is not the real matter. The days gone by there were very many MP5s to fight in the out. Nothing like hide and seek as in now. Most people whom are outside are eithe MP6 or don't have crits to fight with so they don't have an issue after all and most others are in sanctuaries.I have neve seen sanctuaries being this much popular idling spot. Why most people don't come out is they don't want to loose there stats. These days people don't do a proper defence coz one have a chance of a token whore smashing it. Usually you get a single crit or a set of another token whore(that seems to be the only viable option for most attacks.) So do you get my point??? Its not about loosing its about not getting your stats destroyed.

Today my opponents were TTL, amber rune, duxie, lone, amoran, maebuis, no one, shem (that's all I can find in the time I was online and outside of sanctuaries). The list above looks pathetic isn't it. I have to wait till the timers go so. I can fight again this was never the case in the days gone by.

[quote name='Blood Prince' timestamp='1316532661' post='92321']
Today my opponents were TTL, amber rune, duxie, lone, amoran, maebuis, no one, shem (that's all I can find in the time I was online and outside of sanctuaries). The list above looks pathetic isn't it. I have to wait till the timers go so. I can fight again this was never the case in the days gone by.
[/quote]
meaning: 2 unallied mp5s, 3 allied mp5s + allied mp4/6s
there were at least 3 more unellied mp5s training pretty hard - only not MDP. I suspect skilldamage and resources was part of the effort to populate the map a bit - and I guess it would have worked if MD had a few times more players (as it is - MDP got depopulated but other areas do not see that much traffic)

and as for not limiting the discussion to skilldamage.... in order to bring more ppl to train one way is to bring more ppl to MD or make players more willing to stay out of sanctuaries. skilldamage keeps them idle and away - also decreasing number of potential new players (pretty often a newbie asks a question at MDP and nobody replies)

It was said Eon won it and may use it as he see fit.... it is not exactly true - as it cannot be switched off every time Eon wants to train he inflicts skilldamage. and Eon won it by activity and fight so the effect should have been pretty obvious. I do believe the skilldamage does not help MD - not everybody wants to play duck in duck hunt.

[quote name='nadrolski' timestamp='1316517884' post='92309']
do you really want more people in public ready for duels?

or you just want more weak mp5s to come out from dens so you can easily train your critters and stats?
[/quote]
If the only MP5s out there are dst and Eon, then how will the other weak ones get stronger? What's wrong with wanting weaker opponents?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lone wolf pup' timestamp='1316403313' post='92257']
Why not make *spoiler creature* lesson Skill damage.. they steal some skilldamage from fights.. it should also weaken the effect.
[/quote]
Remember the Archer changes? Remember how that turned out? Well not exactly terrible but the stronger players ended up with about a million Cyclinity whereas the weaker ones got below nine-thousand...

Back to the main topic: The idea of stat gaining idling would be terrible, my MP3 would be a monster and February would be unstoppable. Eon of course like many others have said, rightfully earned his prize so I don't exactly see why we should take that away from him. (But of course the rules do state that if too many players have a "problem" with it, a sanction may be earned...)

[quote name='xrieg' timestamp='1316534515' post='92322']
It was said Eon won it and may use it as he see fit.... it is not exactly true - as it cannot be switched off every time Eon wants to train he inflicts skilldamage.
[/quote]

Since Eon earned skilldamage, I have been slowly reducing my stats for a month. As you all know, I spend most of my time at the Meeting of the Roads, which is not (or was not before a week ago) a sanctuary. I don't really train so I haven't reversed any of these losses, but I also haven't spent much time online recently (separate topic about that coming soon), so I haven't incurred significant stat losses.

As much as Eon's skilldamage is unpleasant, I really like the fact that there is a demon wandering around the realm preying upon us poor unfortunate souls. It really adds a fun dimension to the game that perhaps requires a little tweaking to not ruin everyone else's gameplay experience.

I would propose a modification to Eon's skilldamage that would keep the menace active, while not scaring the entire class of mp5 into hiding.

I think Eon's skilldamage should go into effect when (he/she?) chooses by choosing 'skilldamage' as a fight cause. Furthermore, I think that the number of 'skilldamage' fight causes could be limited to a certain number per spell/ability counter recharge period. This might be accomplished by giving Eon an item (maybe some kind of jewel or something) that grants this ability, rather than it being permanently bestowed on the character. This way Eon (and everyone else) can see how many charges remain at any given time. I think the granting to Eon of such a powerful jewel would still be consistent with the 'power option' granted by victory in the BHC.

I don't know what an appropriate number of 'skilldamage' charges on a jewel would be. The first number that comes to mind is 300 charges, enough to let Eon fight for skilldamage in 20 fights every day. It's enough to really pile up if Eon wants to really punish someone, and small enough that Eon could exhaust a day's worth of charges in one trip to GoE or MDP.

I don't know if this proposal belongs as a separate topic. If so, I request the mods move it to a new post (an possibly add a poll about good idea/bad idea?) I'm also interested whether people would come out from hiding if they know that Eon can blast them any time, but not every time.

EDIT: additional benefit - seeing the trigger box flooding with skilldamage fight cause is a recognizable sign that Eon is on the rampage.

Edited by Rumi

On skilldamage:

I wish everyone would just come out of hiding and train like they used to. If people learn how to cooperate, Eon's skilldamage is not as incrediblypowerful as everyone says it is.

Generally, Eon isn't this monster that decides he's going to crush the dreams of children. Since Eon has receivedskilldamage, I have probably lost 4 points on all of my skills, except for luck.

In that time, I have more than gained that back from simply not hiding and training with the partners available. Currently, I believe that there will not be anything done about Eon's skilldamage and we'll all have to learn to live with it and adapt.

Let's just all learn to collaborate and find a new way to train, rather than through selfish means or trying to make entire changes to MD's combat system.

On skill increases for defending:

As nadrolski said, a static or even variable increase to skills for defending in fights would cause even more problems. I believe people would have more players to train on, but in exchange the entire fighting system would become skewed and cause further imbalance.

More people would want to idle than stay and farm(which training would essentially be reduced to), and there would be fields of players asleep just so that they could gain skills from idling.

If we want a true solution to the problem of finding training partners, I believe that we should utilize viscosity. Lone Wolf came up with the idea of an exploring/training group and it never caught on, which disappoints me.

Edit: Spacing

Edited by ChildOfTheSoul