A Sanctuary Spell

Brulant

Whenever a new public meeting location becomes important it inevitably becomes a Sanctuary so that people can travel there and feel safe while things are discussed/introduced/whatever.

Like Eon recently posted in the Mood Panel
[b][quote]Eon[/b] - [i]Why delay the inevitable? Just go ahead and make all locations a sanc[/quote][/i]

I feel that Sanctuaries are becoming too common. In No Man's Land, there are five Sanctuary locations that I can think of off the top of my head. If things continue as they are, we'll have more Sanctuary scenes than regular scenes soon. And that's not fair to the people who like to fight.

But, I do like that we can have a safer haven in which to hold discussions and meetings.
So, I would like to propose a spell that will temporarily render a location as a Sanctuary. Maybe for 2 hours at a time.

That way we can still have our safe meetings and the fighters are appeased.

Edited by Brulant

Kyphis, any recent examples you can think of?

Tranquil Plains, Meeting of the Roads, the location not too deep in the new area of the East. All of those have remained sanctuaries. I have a feeling Awiiya's location will remain one as well.

I can only think of one that was turned back and that was outside KC's home.

[size=1]Edit: Corrected Awiiya's name.[/size]

Edited by Eon

[quote name='awiiya' timestamp='1321239753' post='95765']
Why not have this work the opposite way?

A spell that allows someone to attack in Sanctuaries?

Awi
[/quote]

I stand by the belief that we need a spot where we can idle in safety. I just think that there are currently too many of them. While an attack-in-sanctuary spell would be interesting, it damages something that I feel is important to the game.

[quote name='Brulant' timestamp='1321241188' post='95767']

I stand by the belief that we need a spot where we can idle in safety. I just think that there are currently too many of them. While an attack-in-sanctuary spell would be interesting, it damages something that I feel is important to the game.
[/quote]

Well if the santuary spell its for 2 Hours, the hit players in sanctuary has the same efect :D

[quote name='awiiya' timestamp='1321239753' post='95765']
Why not have this work the opposite way?

A spell that allows someone to attack in Sanctuaries?
[/quote]
I fear that, with the recent spate of stones that have gone up for sale, a spell that allows attacking in a sanctuary would be easily available to those who are willing to pay for it.

I have been wondering if the setting locations to sanctuaries is more of something that is being overlooked. Mur can be very busy at times and he may have just overlooked returning them to non-sanctuaries but that just shows that maybe a spell should be made. Mur could hold a 12 hour or 24 hour spell. He could also allow a 2 hour spell that could be available to players (as a reward or maybe in the Wish shop).

I agree that a sanctuary spell would be preferable to having so many sanctuary locations, however I feel that if the spell is too publicly available that it would be abused.

I believe that it should be a spell for important people such as mur or those with dedicated public roles, similar to spells such as acoustic remains, or even items like the mouth sewing kit.

Putting it in the wish shop or making it an achievable "reward" would, like most things, be open to misuse and might cause more harm than good. Conversely, creating a spell that makes attacking in a sanctuary location allowed temporarily would simply become a headache.

All things considered, Mur just needs to keep himself in check with the number of locations he makes no attack zones, and we should be fine. The game changes around so much that it's not like it's set in stone anyway. If things get bad enough, and enough people complain, annoying or cumbersome game elements get revised or repealed.

Edited by ChildOfTheSoul

If the attack in sancturary, or Create Sanctuary spell were set at 4 casts, and Only 4 casts, the problem of Enchanted Memory Stones would be avoided automagically.

As far as the suggestion, I kinda like the idea of both.
The question is, should it affect the Scene itself, or the persons within it. ;)

I too think sanctuaries are too much a common place now. From GOE the whole left path through the Fenth's press is a sanctuary. I really did not see a necessity to have sanctuaries in places where public meetings are held and it never happened in the past. But with the recent advancements in the game like giving skill damage to three players can have disastrous proportions if the meeting was not done in a sanctuary. Therefore I agree with Mur on holding public meetings in a sanctuary or making that location a sanctuary.

However I also don't like these locations to be a sanctuary forever. So here are the solutions I propose.
[list]
[*]Remove skill damage ability from the players which posses that ability until the public gathering is over. I say this because its not the lost fights one gets irritated with its the negative stats one would get. An un-allied MP5 attending a 2 hour meeting in a non-santuary location can get attacked roughly around 40 times. If I take Eon as an example (which I'm sure will attack to the maximum capability given the opportunity ) that MP5 would loose roughly 40* (-0.12) per skill which is too much for attending a meeting.
[*]The next idea I have is keep a specific location (might be easily accessible to all like GOE or some other deep place) for public meetings. When public meetings happen the link in the trigger box will get people to the location. Make that place a sanctuary and we don't need to make anymore places sanctuaries.
[*]Another idea is to provide unlimited number of attacklock spells for all people attending the meeting which is castable at that location only. So the people who don't want others to attack them can do so if they wish.
[/list]

I don't like too much sanctuaries so Mur should remove all the additional sanctuaries but I would like to keep Awiiya's place as a sanctuary in respect of the tree.

Also this is not the place to say this but I'm too lazy to create another topic. Lets decorate Awiiya's tree as our Christmas tree this year. :)

I would suggest that events of any sort should be help in DoT days to avoid the mess of creating more unwanted sanctuaries. I believe there are more than enough out there for everyone, no need to add more.

Now, if there was indeed a spell that could grant you a one-day-sanctuary-location(or few-hours-sanctuary-location), simply because the dates of the events do not match with ToD, that could indeed happen. Just don't make it have too many casts otherwise, enchanted stones will turn the entire md into a sanctuary.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...