Matrix-like fight logs

A suggestion to make fight logs much clearer: one matrix per round, where attacking and target creatures are displayed in rows and columns, respectively. This can give a good overview of a whole round at a glance, rather than the current linear text.

It would look like this:

[attachment=3666:matrix.png]

(As for using colors or not, Pipstickz started a thread [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/10649-pretty-logs/"]here[/url] some time ago.)

Edit: the example above is for a 2 vs. 2 fight, but in case more creatures are used (e.g. 6 vs. 6), it would be better to remove all data in the cells, and display them only when passing the mouse over, otherwise it will be too big:

[attachment=3667:matrix2.png]

Edited by Guillak

I'm fine with the current format and although I can read the cells I think it makes it a little less clear. though I do like the idea that I can see what type of creature is attacking instead of just a name. The colors are good but i would add the colors to the current fight log in order to highlight portions such as below.

###### START ROUND "1" ######
[color=#0000ff]Applying temporary effects for Kamisha, slot 1 :[/color]
[color=#0000ff]protect (round:2 protect: defence=105|from 132 to 237; )[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Applying temporary effects for Kamisha, slot 3 :[/color]
[color=#0000ff]protect (round:2 protect: defence=105|from 128 to 233; )[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Applying temporary effects for Kamisha, slot 5 :[/color]
[color=#0000ff]protect (round:2 protect: defence=105|from 135 to 240; )[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Applying temporary effects for Kamisha, slot 6 :[/color]
[color=#0000ff]protect (round:2 protect: defence=100|from 128 to 228; )[/color]
[color=#0000ff]protect (round:2 protect: defence=100|from 228 to 328; )[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Applying temporary effects for Kamisha, slot 2 :[/color]
[color=#0000ff]protect (round:2 protect: defence=105|from 128 to 233; )[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Applying temporary effects for AmberRune, slot 3 :[/color]
[color=#0000ff]protect (round:2 protect: defence=85|from 10 to 95; )[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Applying temporary effects for AmberRune, slot 5 :[/color]
[color=#0000ff]protect (round:2 protect: defence=85|from 10 to 95; )[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Applying temporary effects for AmberRune, slot 1 :[/color]
[color=#0000ff]weaken (round:1 weaken: defence=-196|from 10 to -186; )[/color]
[color=#0000ff]weaken (round:0 weaken: effect ended)[/color]
[b][color=#ff0000]K[/color][color=#FF0000]amisha[/color][/b][color=#ff0000]'s [i]Alen[/i] does [i] energyburn[/i] to [i]weak[/i] creature(s) of [b]AmberRune[/b] and:[/color]
[color=#ff0000] - [b]Unholy Pope[/b] receives [i]1055[/i] energy burn (attacking creature consumes 145 Ve and remains with 4397 Ve)[/color]
[color=#ff0000]and remains with [i]1372[/i] vitality[/color]
[color=#ffa500][b]Kamisha[/b]'s [i]Animated Tree III[/i] does [i] protect[/i] to [i]multirandom[/i] creature(s) of [b]Kamisha[/b] and:[/color]
[color=#ffa500] - Protection effect: 105[/color]
[color=#ffa500] - [b]Alen[/b] is protected by [b]Animated Tree III[/b] with defence, maintaining protection[/color]
[color=#ffa500]protect (round:3 protect: defence=105|from 1492 to 1597; )[/color]
[color=#ffa500]and remains with [i]4397[/i] vitality[/color]
[color=#ffa500] - [b]Imperial Aramor Assassin[/b] is protected by [b]Animated Tree III[/b] with defence, maintaining protection[/color]
[color=#ffa500]protect (round:3 protect: defence=105|from 237 to 342; )[/color]
[color=#ffa500]and remains with [i]2966[/i] vitality[/color]
[color=#ffa500] - [b]Winderwild[/b] is protected by [b]Animated Tree III[/b] with defence, maintaining protection[/color]
[color=#ffa500]protect (round:3 protect: defence=105|from 240 to 345; )[/color]
[color=#ffa500]and remains with [i]1878[/i] vitality[/color]
[color=#ffa500] - [b]Imperial Aramor Warrior[/b] is protected by [b]Animated Tree III[/b] with defence, maintaining protection[/color]
[color=#ffa500]protect (round:3 protect: defence=105|from 233 to 338; )[/color]
[color=#ffa500]and remains with [i]2875[/i] vitality[/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]Kamisha[/b]'s [i]Imperial Aramor Assassin[/i] does [i] damage[/i] to [i]weak[/i] creature(s) of [b]AmberRune[/b] and:[/color]
[color=#ff0000] - [b]Unholy Pope[/b] receives [i]615[/i] damage[/color]
[color=#ff0000]and remains with [i]757[/i] vitality[/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]Kamisha[/b]'s [i]Imperial Aramor Warrior[/i] does [i] damage[/i] to [i]weak[/i] creature(s) of [b]AmberRune[/b] and:[/color]
[color=#ff0000] - [b]Unholy Pope[/b] receives [i]948[/i] damage[/color]
[color=#ff0000]creature DIES![/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]Kamisha[/b]'s [i]Imperial Aramor Warrior[/i] does [i] damage[/i] to [i]weak[/i] creature(s) of [b]AmberRune[/b] and:[/color]
[color=#ff0000] - [b]Walking Tree[/b] receives [i]752[/i] damage[/color]
[color=#ff0000]and remains with [i]2042[/i] vitality[/color]
[color=#ffa500][b]Kamisha[/b]'s [i]Winderwild[/i] does [i] weaken[/i] to [i]strong[/i] creature(s) of [b]AmberRune[/b] and:[/color]
[color=#ffa500] - Weaken defence effect: -196[/color]
[color=#ffa500] - maintains weaken on [b]Unholy Pope[/b][/color]
[color=#ffa500]weaken (round:2 weaken: defence=-196|from 95 to -101; )[/color]
[color=#ffa500]and remains with [i]1518[/i] vitality[/color]
[color=#008000][b]AmberRune[/b]'s [i]Walking Tree[/i] does [i] regenerate[/i] to [i]multirandom[/i] creature(s) of [b]AmberRune[/b] and:[/color]
[color=#008000] - Regeneration power: 34, regen. vitality: 889[/color]
[color=#008000] - Maintaining regeneration, Walking Tree will regenerate next 2 rounds vitality[/color]
[color=#008000]regenerate (round:3 regenerate: 889) and remains with 3504 vitality[/color]
[color=#008000]and remains with [i]3504[/i] vitality[/color]
[color=#808080] - [b]Unholy Pope[/b] doesn't need any regeneration for now[/color]
[color=#808080]and remains with [i]1518[/i] vitality[/color]
[color=#808080][b]AmberRune[/b]'s [i]Walking Tree[/i] cant find any enemy creatures to target, skipping turn[/color]
[color=#ffa500][b]AmberRune[/b]'s [i]Unholy Pope[/i] does [i] protect[/i] to [i]dying[/i] creature(s) of [b]Kamisha[/b] and:[/color]
[color=#ffa500] - Protection effect: 100[/color]
[color=#ffa500] - [b]Animated Tree III[/b] is protected by [b]Unholy Pope[/b] with defence, maintaining protection[/color]
[color=#ffa500]protect (round:3 protect: defence=100|from 328 to 428; )[/color]
[color=#ffa500]and remains with [i]2453[/i] vitality[/color]

Status Effects: [color=#ffa500]Orange[/color]
Damage: [color=#ff0000] Red[/color]
Heal: [color=#006400]Green[/color]
Absance of change: [color=#808080]Grey[/color]
Opening round: [color=#0000ff] Blue[/color]

[color=#000000]The thing I do like the though is the matrix showing what the creature is as I said [/color][color=#ff0000][b]Kamisha[/b]'s [i]Alen[/i] [/color]for example gives you no information on what your fighting its just an arbitrary name.

Edited by Kamisha

actually guillak's idea is awesome, it is simple and self explanatory, not to say it removes HUGE WALL TEXT, but at what i am currently lookin it lacks important infos, like how much ve each creat has left, what was percentage of lifesteal and such, if ya work out all details into this small table that would be perfect

yeah addin color to current log would be helpful, but as much as i see point of guillak's idea is to remove the need of scrollin down

now thing is we already have this thing in our... animated log, but it goes very very fast, ya cant really see much wut happened except the outcome, this would be almost same just it would be animated and ya would be able to see graphically whole fight, current way of how system has this animated fight isnt there to show ya how battle went, its there more becoz it is user friendly to new players :) so we cant remove it, nabs would be even more confused :D

however, why not redesign animated part of fight, in a way, that it does its silly super fast animation from start to end, and then ya get option to with some dropdown menu or some buttons or w/e to select round and then it would display what happened in that specific round, so that ya can go from start to end of fight round by round on your own pace to check wut was happenin in fight, and it would all be displayed graphically, which is very user friendly and that as guillak said, ya get more detailed infos on mouse hover, for instance

ya select round 1, hover over your grasan lvl3, and then it would display its dmg images inside flash element on opponents creats and in that small text thing below animation where text gets scrolled uber fast during fight animation, in there would be put some more detailed infos, although for grasy that wouldnt be needed since who he attacked with what ability and how much that can be seen flash element

just a bit of mine brainstormin to add to teh idea :D

• 2 months later...

[attachment=3898:fightlogs.jpg]
(hand made of course)

Width: fits perfect, as long as you don't display the whole creature name. Creature slot number or creature name initial should suffice. Tooltips would then display all necessary information at the player's will.

Height: let it scroll, just like current linear display. A fixed table header might help as well, i.e. all lines except the first one move up/down when you use the scroll bar.

As for the images: as Liberty said, loading several times the same image on a given page doesn't consume more bandwidth than loading it once. We could also remove them completely, but I think they would help the player a lot if something similar was to be implemented.

• Root Admin

I was under the impression that images were not loaded from a static location but from a temporary one, so that the images cannot be "ripped" easily. If you look at the creatures page when you have a large amount of creatures it loads all the images sequentially and not, as it would if they were the same image, in "batches"

Therefore, assuming it does work like this, it would increase the load time, unless either static images were used, or the system was changed to use the same temporary image.

Isn't it possible to scale images down? The ones I used in above screenshot were scaled down to 32 pixels.

As I said, you can remove them completely otherwise. First letters of creature name should do it, or why not help by rotating text by 90°.

yes you can scale images down, they dont need to use their full size, anyways aint creat ico images that are show on creat page and in fights more suitable?

hmm wut chew said gives us problems, totally forgot about that >_> but still we cant be sure if it works like that, imo even if it was made to be in temp location that location should still be same for whole one individual server request, which in this case would be fight page

cuz if it puts each image on new temp location for every single call for image (copy original image to temp location, make some id, send id and via id access image, once transmission is done remove temp img location), thats simply way too much resources spent, even if that temp image location is just symlink