Rent and Roommates

Curiose

Curi is needing some moving out advice.

As of now, I am living with my father in a state different from where I used to live in. I have a job, but I don’t make enough to live on my own in a home unless I can find one for very cheap...

Winter is coming, and I am afraid my hours are going to be cut, when I am already trying to make ends meat if I decide to get a house. I know I need a second/better job and I am currently in the works for it. It’s just… most of the jobs are a pain to get to walking distance, especially in the cold, or they are not a feasable walking distance if I have to be there early early, or super late at night. And I’m needing a car/moped of sorts just to get there. So that is going to take a chunk of my money.

Basically the real kicker is that I won’t be staying permanently. I will likely be staying until early summer and leaving with my boyfriend. I don’t know a thing about renting or getting roommates, but I figure it is the most feasable option I have right now. I don’t know what else to add. Other than I was thinking I’d be staying on a more permanent basis until a bomb got dropped on me that my boyfriend doesn’t know if he wants to stay permanently with me. So I’m kind of tossed in a tizzy there and currently scrambling like a chicken with my head cut off to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Maybe I’m just overreacting, but I’m kind of freaking out because I’ve only got till december/january.

Edited by Curiose

1. Try to get that second job ASAP.
2. You should probably talk with your boyfriend about what he really wants because it sounds like he is the reason you are moving out.
3. Living on your own is quite a bit of money, maybe it isn't the time to move out right now.
4. Roomates definately cuts down the price on rooming so you should aim for that. The only downside is that you don't really know who you are living with.
5. Maybe it would be ideal to find a basement instead of a house. I believe they are cheaper.

Just some friendly advice.

Is there like bus service where you are?

Edited by Chengmingz

I've rented and crashed on couched quite a bit in the past and can second the comments above.
Talk to the boyfriend, honestly and openly, about your future. Get that straight before committing to something like a big lease.
Look into craigslist, et al, for cheap rooms.
http://www.couchsurfing.org/ is good for "weekend crashing" sorts of short-term thing, if you need to explore a new town or area.

Otherwise, I wish you the best. Moving out is awesome, and stressful, and such, combined.
Don't be afraid to ask for help, you'll be surprised how nice people can be in general. (yes, not 100% but more than you'd expect)

• 5 weeks later...