Forum Mod Applications

Burns

As you surely noticed, the mod team of our beloved forums got a bit smaller lately. Therefore we're searching for at least one new mod to refresh the team, if (or more precisely, when) the next of us is due to lose the time needed for the job.

I'd be specially interested in having one of our younger members on board, if they feel up for the task, but anybody who thinks to have the time and willpower to deal with the daily forum business is welcome to send in their applications.

What's needed?[list]
[*]Read everything that's being posted. Some things always slip through, but if you generally don't want to read every little bit of text people are posting, you can stop right here.
[*]A few extra minutes each day. If you are already reading the whole forum, as you obviously do since you're still reading, the mod job only adds two or three things to that a day. If you let the work pile up, it turns into a hassle, though.
[*]English. Doesn't need to be perfect or anything, but it's the forum language, and you need to be able to communicate effectively.
[/list]

What would be nice?
[list]
[*]Experience in moderation work of any kind. Our forum is very intuitive, and it's no problem if you have none, but it'd be nice.
[*]Ability to separate forum and game. It shouldn't affect your mod work if you like somebody or not, as mod, you should be impartial. There's a team and a supervising admin behind you, but if you can be impartial all on your own, less problems.
[*]Instinctive feelings. When should you close something, when should you split, when should you merge, where should you move to, who's the aggressor in flame wars. This one can be learned, but whatever you already have counts in your favor.
[/list]

Still with me? Hooray!

Here's what you get out of it:

Yep, that's it. There's no cool powers, no fancy spells, no special accesses (except for the mod section, which contains a lot of rules you need to follow as mod, and some admin logs that tell you about the fancy stuff you still can't do because you're just a mod). It's a completely voluntary role, without benefits for you. The only good thing about it, since you don't get paid, the Wookie can't force you to work.

If you're still interested, please send me your application.
Just write down all the reasons that make you think you're the best we can ever get for the job. :D
(If you're uncreative with your reasons, you can cling to the 'What's nice' bullet points. ;))

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]After LOL'ing at the above post for a few minutes, I'd like to apply :)[/color][/font]

[quote name='Burns' timestamp='1354927446' post='127816']
[b]I'd be specially interested in having one of our younger members on board[/b], if they feel up for the task, but anybody who thinks to have the time and willpower to deal with the daily forum business is welcome to send in their applications.
[/quote]

[color=#008000][font=comic sans ms,cursive]When I saw this, I couldn't resist![/font][/color]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]Why me?[/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]- I'm ~very~ active, and except for a few days (when I either have exams or I'm gone out for vacation) I check the forum daily.[/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]- I make it my "solemn duty" to reply at least once to every thread, so that makes sure I read everything there.[/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]- I still have 100% active days (proof :P)[/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]- Since Wookie has a clear, apparent grudge against me for asking him too many questions, this will make him think twice before messing with da' mod![/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=3][color=#000000]( ^ joke)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]I guess that's it. Hope I get selected :D[/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]Thanks,[/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#008000]DD.[/color][/font]

Edited by DARK DEMON

I would like to apply. Lately I've found that I've been reading all of the recent posts (even though I have exams), so there's no problem there. When I was a few years younger, I created a few forums and websites for fun. I learned that it's hard to make a popular general forum that's not really tied to any game or activity. ;)

For those with zero experience, like Burns said, it's not complicated. Really, for the most part, it only gives you a few more options when viewing posts. It's so much easier (at least with small forums like this) modding a forum than modding something like IRC. The reason why I'd like to apply is that when I have responsibility, I tend to act in a more controlled manner, which is always beneficial to me.

I wish you luck in judging who would best fit the role. Give certain people moderation abilities, and things get interesting. Which can be fun, but it's rather pointless. I've seen people become mods in other forums who I'd think would fulfill the role well, yet they act on emotion and mess with things. You've got to keep a level head, otherwise things degenerate quickly.

Thanks for your consideration. :)

[quote name='BFH' timestamp='1354935647' post='127819']
Question:

What if someone wants to apply to mod specific forums? Is is allowed? Or perhaps you guys only want global mods?
[/quote]

Most of the group subforums have section mods already, they usually get appointed because they are the leaders of it, what we're growing short on is global mods for all the rest. It would be possible, if you think some sections get too little attention, just tell.
Here's a link to all the section mods: http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats&do=leaders&st=0

• Root Admin

[quote name='BFH' timestamp='1354935647' post='127819']
Question:

What if someone wants to apply to mod specific forums? Is is allowed? Or perhaps you guys only want global mods?
[/quote]

If people are interested in specific forums they could apply to burns as well and he will take it into consideration im sure but as burns said there isnt a real need for section mods unless you can find a really good reason for wanting to be section mod of a specific area.

I would like to apply.

I do no mind global modding, but in special I would like to focus on Game development-New Ideas.

I think it needs to be globalized and reorganized.

Presenting, full and complete summary of all ideas already presented and the ones "pending". That will help council-developers to have a wide, organized, and generalized view of what are the ideas, to take them into consideration and actually implement those that they consider the best without spending a valuable time "searching"

My vacations are near, hence I would love to know your decision asap, to work with them as soon as I get out of finals, in special because like all the initial organization is the hardest.

There are other sections I'm interested in organizing, but for those I have to speak with you guys privately. So not really sure, if I should apply as a subsection mod, section mod, or global mod. Whatever you decide just let me know.

I'll apply. I'm good at using notes, if less prudent about making them. If there is, as you say, already a pile of rules built up in the mod section of the forum, I can keep that open in a tabas I go about my duties.

Besides, I think assuming the obligations of mod could force me to exercise the common sense I so often find excuses to suppress here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Once again looking for new mods.

Please scroll up/click me for the detailed job description.

Please send me a new message or post here again even if you've already posted/PMed me 2 years ago, much can change in this long time and some of you might not want to do something like that anymore.

• 5 months later...

After many delays, we've finally added a new global mod to the team again: Ary Endleg!

Thanks to everybody who applied (again), great to know that we still have so many people in our little community who are willing to give up on their sparetime to take jobs :)