Word Contest

Seigheart

[color=#141414][left][size=3][font=arial]Hey guys, got a competition for you! The winner will get either a game from steam or something in-game. It might seem like a really simple competition, but it's actually pretty difficult.[/font][/size][/color][/left]

[color=#141414][left][size=3][font=arial]The Aim: To find a word (simple... I think not [img]http://mineuk.com/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png[/img])[/font][/size][/color][/left]

[color=#141414][left][size=3][font=arial]Conditions:[/font][/size][/color][/left]
[font=Georgia,][left][size=3][font=arial]The winner will be contacted by PM. Good Luck[/font][/size][/font][/left][list]
[*][size=3][font=arial]Word must be 5 letters long[/font][/size]
[*][size=3][font=arial]Word must have 2 syllables[/font][/size]
[*][size=3][font=arial]Word must follow the pattern "CVCVC" (C being a consanant, V being a vowel)[/font][/size]
[*][size=3][font=arial]Word must be continuous and have no stopping characters or "hard letters" such as P, K, T and B.[/font][/size]
[*][size=3][font=arial]It must not be a "common" word such as vowel (which fits all [/font][/size][font=arial][size=1]the criteria) but, I it can be a dictionary word.[/size][/font]
[/list]

In case it's not pmed, mine is libel (I've also sent you a pm containing others. Thus is fun!). I'm using 'The Origins of English Words' by Joseph T. Shipley, which is a great dictionary by the way.

Edit: No b? Then change it to fanam, though I don't think that the b interrupts it.

Edited by Change

[quote name='Seigheart' timestamp='1358525210' post='130912']
So I was supposed to continue it after someone had one it?
[/quote]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#006400]Suggestion: there should have been a rule to allow a person to only submit a limited number of words. Otherwise this quest was primarily for those who read the topic first...[/color][/font]

Edited by DARK DEMON

[quote name='Seigheart' timestamp='1358525210' post='130912']
So I was supposed to continue it after someone had won it?
[/quote]

I think what the wookie may have meant was, on one hand you seem to have wanted much more participation, in order for the "good rewards" to be made available. However, stopping the quest before even a full day passed, when soem folks may be offline, severely limits the potential "submissions" to a very limited few. So, you can't have both ways: many questers, and limited time.

I also think, that from the timestamps on this forum post, it almsot looks like it was won by Chewett within 61[b] minutes[/b].
Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:02 PM
Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

That cuts down on the participant potential even more severely.

[b]That's still a valid way to run a quest, with folks being at the right place at the right time[/b], ^_^ but you can't say that then complain there weren't enough people.

Edited by Maebius

You didn't give enough information to find just one word. So you expected someone to submit one word out of the thousands of possible answers and for them to hope that it's the right one?

[quote name='Seigheart' timestamp='1357858938' post='130156']
[left][size=3][font=arial]The winner will get either a game from steam or something in-game.[/font][/size][color=#141414][color=#141414][font=Georgia,][/quote][/font][/color][/color][/left]

[left]I took this to mean a roundabout way of saying he'd give something in-game, and that something could be a flower (or if he [i]really[/i] wanted to be popular, a PM). Apparently the quest was harder than the rules, but from what the rules were, it was easy. He could have also said that 'the winner will either get an elephant or everything or a chicken or something in-game' and it would have been true.[/left]

[left]Time to think up another quest.[/left]

• Root Admin

I feel that in the future such quests where someone can arbitarily choose a winner should be discouraged. Seigheart may have pmed me the answer and told me to win it, specifically choosing me as a winner, and no one would know. Who is to say it didnt happen this time?

A quest where there is no skill or fun involved, shouldnt really be a quest, its not fun and its primarily a waste of time, It appears i was luck enough that i thought up only ~15 words, and got the one, out of the millions of possible valid words, which apparently some spent a lot more time, Which i would encourage sieg to reward the one who sent the most words in if he hasnt already given the award to someone deserving.

Edited by Chewett