Uses for resources

Zyrxae

[quote]There is a lack of usage of resources and tools[...]because there is not a goal for them to be used.[/quote]
[quote]There is no need for resources, they just pile up.[/quote]
[quote]Shared tools are only "useless" as you put it, because there's little to do with the resources after you've got them.[/quote]

Possible uses for resources:[list]
[*]Community Garden buildings, structures
[*]Fix the Ivory Lighthouse and the ship at Wraith’s Wreck: free the [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/11802-meeting-about-abra-and-the-empty-aramors"]Empty Aramors[/url] and Tiny Men
[*]Repair the bridge to Oak Fort
[*][quote name='Rhaegar Targaryen' timestamp='1359588665' post='131727']
An important contest that would stimulate 'average Joe' to fight for and work would change that, but for now, you do not have any reason for mass-production of tea, for example, to pursue.[/quote]
[*][quote name='Dragual' timestamp='1358980881' post='131302']
Maybe something like "building a wall" around a scene[/quote]
[/list]
Many people seem uninterested in the above. If you think these projects are silly or haven't heard about them or have a better idea for how to use resources, do say so.

--
Better yet:
People are resources, too.

[quote] Not much a player can do nowdays other than interact with others, do random quests and research, enjoy some RP. There is no major event to enter its flow.[/quote]
Tell Mya there are no major events...but you're right, we all want more.

If this 'more' is made for us, then great, wonderful.
If not, [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/13559-365-ideas/"]this topic[/url] is a good starting point...or is it?
Is it that we want a more unified approach: one point of focus for the whole realm, that we seek some overall goal to the many (nonetheless enjoyable) quests currently running?

I ask because I don't know, but the past hints toward hunches.

Whilst I don't argue against the suggestions for resource use you've made (particularly not the fixing of Ivory Lighthouse), they're all fixed things.

By fixed things, I mean they're one off, you do them once and then they're done. Ideally we need more recipes/cauldrons with expireable goods that consume the resources. Having recipes offers a more long term solution to the problem. The items produced would need to be expireable, otherwise we'd just be shifting the problem down the line, rather than fixing it.

So I'd suggest people to propose recipes using current resources to create items. Recipes that are realistic - like herbs and water making tea, and not bones and memory stones making a parchment.

I definitely don't know of the top of my head a list of all available resources, but like I said, try to come up with some recipes that a lot of people are going to want to make (good effects from created item), that make sense to be like that, and use a fair variety of resources. The effect preferably being different to those items already with them

[quote name='Grido' timestamp='1359692822' post='131787']

By fixed things, I mean they're one off, you do them once and then they're done. Ideally we need more recipes/cauldrons with expireable goods that consume the resources. Having recipes offers a more long term solution to the problem. The items produced would need to be expireable, otherwise we'd just be shifting the problem down the line, rather than fixing it.

[/quote]

I would like to put that comment

To prevent to much or something exemple tea cup ... i dont feel making things expiriring like cold tead cup is the right way
It would have been better that instead an maximum one can get in inventory instead

for that exemple of tea cups, its so hard to get the necessary ingredient and making tea ... having it expired dont make me wish to make tea again
or trade to get some .. when i know that probably it will expired before i use it all

[quote name='Zyrxae' timestamp='1359672656' post='131782']
Possible uses for resources:

Community Garden buildings, structures
Fix the Ivory Lighthouse and the ship at Wraith’s Wreck: free the Empty Aramors and Tiny Men
Repair the bridge to Oak Fort [/quote]
These would be great as automatic quests but with some easy steps to perform (bring x resources, bring axe ... ) and it can be the beginning of a new type of achievements and a new age for MD.

________
Good luck Zyrxae

I personally don't think the problem is with people having too much of the end product, but more on because the end products isn't overly useful. I don't really think we need consumables to expire or be limited in amount; what is needed is to have an end product that can create enough demand that people actually strive to make those items.

You obviously misunderstood me, Zyrxae.
Grido already responded about your suggestions - they are nice (and known) but they are temporary RP projects, which will hardly use a percent of active resources around. Meaning? Something else has to be present to make the resources actively harvested AND consumed in some form, rather than piling up.

About the major events, yes, you are right in your interpretation - there are no(t much) major events. Player events are great and nice, but I was talking about a constant that will influence, inspire people to be involved from day to day.
Is it something that will enrich them, is it something that will help the prestige of their characters or their lands, it doesn't matter.
BHC would be an interesting event for example, but it requires years of combat dedication, major event I was talking about would be something where even the younger players would be very useful in.
Torch competition on the other hand would be an interesting factor.

I'm not saying MD "needs" such an event, I'm just pointing out one of the main reasons why resources aren't actively used and shown interest to.

Mur with his recent started campaign is, I guess, trying to make something like that, only it doesn't relate to resources concretely, it relates 'just' to that general inspiration of a player to continue having good time here.

Rhaegar, I’m sorry I was unclear.
Your “constant that will influence, inspire people to be involved from day to day” is [i]exactly[/i] what I meant by “one point of focus for the whole realm, that we seek some overall goal to the many (nonetheless enjoyable) quests currently running”.

You suggest two fighting competitions and gesture to the ‘grow a plant IRL’ quest. I’d argue that even more of a unified purpose would be preferable..but raisons d’être don’t grow on trees. With any luck the community will find an overall goal or series of smaller goals; without those, little happens that anyone cares to remember.

Having just said that we need something big to keep ahold of, I’ll do a 180 and write up a list of resources and their descriptions (like [url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/topic/10129-got-items/"]this topic[/url] but updated and more complete) to facilitate the creation of recipes by anyone interested. If you have information that could help with this, please do share.

The item list’s purpose is to inspire others to create recipes which may then inspire others to put the products of those recipes to a creative use/to solve problems we didn’t know we had/to get people imagining again.

[I may respond to the other posts in PM as usual, but Rhaegar and Udgard hit on the point I was using resources to segue into.]

[size=3]Apologies for the double post, but this is somewhat separate from the above-[/size]

For those interested in inventing recipes:
[url="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhfiqLPs3vohdGxwNURkN2dqVzIxZjNUOEZaVUJyWXc#gid=1"]Go wild[/url]. Whip up poisonous serums, strength enhancers, decorative amusements, medicinal poultices, cement, fruitcake, potting soil, leather, glass bottles (which were actually planned), polish, or something I wouldn't dream of.

No, recipes are not the silver bullet of healing that will revive MD.
Yes, too many recipes would make this realm a much less enjoyable place to be.
Please, don't class this as a spoiler and hide it away where nobody finds it.
Sure, maybe it should take some effort for people to make recipes, but it appears that the barrier is currently too high.
Certainly, there's a vast amount going on behind the scenes that I don't know about.
Yes, I want to see people be creative with this.