Over Moderation

Chewett

I fully support increased moderation, so long as it remains objective (as much as possible).  It sounds like this will be a joint effort between moderators/Wookie, and I think this approach will work better than any one moderator.

There have been too many toxic words exchanged - and it taints the realm/forum.  I will be the first to accept responsibility for participating in this, and I hope others will carefully consider their words too (and think about their effects before clicking 'post').  Let's move forward!

• Root Admin

I fully support increased moderation, so long as it remains objective (as much as possible).  It sounds like this will be a joint effort between moderators/Wookie, and I think this approach will work better than any one moderator.

There have been too many toxic words exchanged - and it taints the realm/forum.  I will be the first to accept responsibility for participating in this, and I hope others will carefully consider their words too (and think about their effects before clicking 'post').  Let's move forward!

In the case that we decide a post has descended into insults, we shall discuss jointly using the report buttons as to why it happened, USE the report buttons if you have an issue with a post, we look into ALL reports. Some posts may just descend into rudeness with no apparent reason, but where we agree it was directly the cause of one user, we shall deal with it.

I agree 100%.

We are all "old" enough to use language not as a weapon. Language is our tool for communication with each other to understand what we like or/and dislike. After we found out we can start finding ways to get closer to each other. Of course a knife can be used to kill someone or to peal an apple it´s always up to the user. 

I have a few...thingies. English is not my primary language nor do I come from a country with the culture similar to the one in West Europe (where most of the mods reside). How will I know what is rude and what is not because many time I was told that I was rude even if I haven't used a single vulgar/bad/indecent word.

Also, what will you consider an "attack" towards a player?

What if I open a topic, normal and calm and someone starts with the insults? Will I be blamed for it even if all did was to open a topic?

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Add a troll ban to Forum rules? Most forums have that.

I really really really take issue with the whole concept of "trolls". Yes, trolls exist; however, too often people call other people "a troll" because they disagree with them. Then they're able to say, "Well, you're a troll. Therefore, your opinions are worthless and I'm right."

Hopefully these changes will stop making some posts that I read feel like an internal court case. :P

How will I know what is rude and what is not because many time I was told that I was rude even if I haven't used a single vulgar/bad/indecent word.

You are smart enough to know that, dst... being rude does not only mean using vulgar/bad/indecent words, but it also refers to the tone of your post in general.

There are soooo many ways to mock/bully others which are very rude, yet do not contain bad words, eg: that princess topic you created to humiliate me.

• Root Admin

Add a troll ban to Forum rules? Most forums have that.

That is essentially what we are implementing. You troll, you get a warning, 

I really really really take issue with the whole concept of "trolls". Yes, trolls exist; however, too often people call other people "a troll" because they disagree with them. Then they're able to say, "Well, you're a troll. Therefore, your opinions are worthless and I'm right."

Hopefully these changes will stop making some posts that I read feel like an internal court case. :P

You get to decide who is a troll, so shush

You are smart enough to know that, dst... being rude does not only mean using vulgar/bad/indecent words, but it also refers to the tone of your post in general.

There are soooo many ways to mock/bully others which are very rude, yet do not contain bad words, eg: that princess topic you created to humiliate me.

And how do you decide the tone? It's writing. And again, I am not proficient enough in English (heh! I have MAJOR spelling issues as you all know) so maybe what sounds ok for me can sound rude for someone else. Who'll decide and most important HOW will decide if my tone is due to me being rude or simply not being skilled enough with the language. We are not all tarquinus, you know?

Mock/bully is NOT rude. That's why they are called mock/bully and not rude. I mean, you have 3 words, each describing different things.

Edited by dst

Mock/bully is NOT rude. That's why they are called mock/bully and not rude. I mean, you have 3 words, each describing different things.

:D

How on earth is mocking not rude (especially when you are mocking someone you are speaking with)?

Troubles with language can make things difficult, but shouldn't slow you down too much. Concretely in your case, you are from Romania, and you are not that far from western European culture (this is another story, but you shouldn't have troubles in interaction).

Problems with misunderstanding rudeness, I guess, can happen when two players conversing are coming from two very different cultures.

I'm generally against censoring on forums, i see us mods like the referees in a football game: the best grade we can get is unobtrusive.

However, if you folks start to flame each other so much that people start to avoid the forums, we need to stop that.

:D

How on earth is mocking not rude (especially when you are mocking someone you are speaking with)?

Troubles with language can make things difficult, but shouldn't slow you down too much. Concretely in your case, you are from Romania, and you are not that far from western European culture (this is another story, but you shouldn't have troubles in interaction).

Problems with misunderstanding rudeness, I guess, can happen when two players conversing are coming from two very different cultures.

Mockery if done properly is not rude. If I compare someone to half the species from the invertebrate atlas, yes, they (the invertebrates :P) can consider I have been rude to them.

As for Western Culture, you seem to forget that RO was a "closed" country until 1989 (ok, you might not know the year but it doesn't matter to much)  because of the communism. You don't want to hear all the stories I have about that period of time. And you don't want to hear about the period that followed! So in terms of culture we are different. Trust me on that.

And how do you decide the tone?

It's not very hard to decide... rather, it's pretty straightforward and usually the people who are being rude are the ones who don't see it.

Mockery if done properly is not rude.

So you basically say here that all the mockery you've done with me is not done properly.

Again dst, you are not stupid, quite the opposite. I'm sure you do understand... the point I'm trying to make has been conveyed. I won't speak further.

Edited by DARK DEMON

Another forum I know has a beautiful solution...

http://personalitycafe.com/spam-world/

with subforums

http://personalitycafe.com/venting/

http://personalitycafe.com/gossip/

In all seriousness.

You need to be logged in to view the topics. What kind of solution do they use?

Mockery if done properly is not rude. If I compare someone to half the species from the invertebrate atlas, yes, they (the invertebrates :P) can consider I have been rude to them.

Rude is anything that is done without respect for the other person. Mockery therefore in general is rude.

You don't understand dee dee. Just because Piss Piss was born from a idea inspired by you, it doesn't mean it was rude. If I haven't said it until now, I need to thank you. Piss Piss thanks you.

Piss Piss brings me a lot of joy and lots of smiles and lots of occasional itchings from her fairy dust. How can you call her rude?

Rude is anything that is done without respect for the other person. Mockery therefore in general is rude.

I agree: in general. But not always.

+ I really hope they will not impose a rule about respect on this forum.

If you use a racial slur or similar, you get a ban for a period of time. This is your only warning.

For my, and everyone else's, clarification, what do you mean by 'or similar'? I'm hoping that this includes any slur that's directed at something that someone can not change (e.g. "race", gender, ethnicity, mental and/or physical disabilities, etc.).

Also, dst, in the part of Canada that I'm in, almost all if not all kinds of mockery/bullying is considered rude. I'm a native English speaker who is majoring in English and even I have tons of trouble with English. :P So I do feel for you. The problem is, it's hard to tell if someone is truly ignorant, or they're pretending to be ignorant. When in doubt, don't. Anyone can feel free to PM me text to ask me how I interpret it.

Edited by Change

• Root Admin

For my, and everyone else's, clarification, what do you mean by 'or similar'? I'm hoping that this includes any slur that's directed at something that someone can not change (e.g. "race", gender, ethnicity, mental and/or physical disabilities, etc.).

Yes, I just couldnt think of anything specifically, including sexuality, IRL stuff that doesnt need mention, and definitely doesn't need mentioning as an insult

You can actually see any of the other topics without being logged in.  Another neat precaution against the whole world seeing these topics and giving themselves a bad name.

There is a "spam world" subforum divided into a main forum ("general spam" though it's not called that) and a "venting" and "gossip" sections.

I've had a few topics moved by mods to this section, where they prospered and were immensely enjoyed.

(You don't want to know the topics.  :D )