Support group for STF

Metal Bunny

Anyway, it's obvious STF needs help as well.

So close but yet so far,

One's fear is the other one's war.

? :'( ?

I guessed freedom, but it doesn't fit right with the last sentence.

I do think it is intangible, like a concept, but I can't seem to place a good link between fear and war.

Anyway, maybe we can all try and solve it. Wouldn't want a man to lose his leg right?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it would be interesting to see what would happen if STF did lose a leg, or if he couldn't come up with the answer. But I might as well take a stab.

Just because of Morpheus's name, I thought it might be the dreamworld/mind and reality? Because they are sort of related or close but at the same time opposites, and when you sleep you usually dream about something related to reality, like your fears or aspirations. So if you have a fear and dream about it, your dreamself might be fighting your fear.

But that's kind of unlikely, isn't it? After all, the answer is too related to his name and that would be too obvious. Must think more. Maybe. Still interested in seeing what would happen if STF died.

How about the duo formed by the baser, animal self and the rational self ?

The baser self is instinctively afraid, while the the other part must fight this feeling in order to be able to have a rational response.

They are so close, meaning they are two sides of the same person, but yet so far, being opposite ways of reacting to a situation.

How about the duo formed by the baser, animal self and the rational self ?

The baser self is instinctively afraid, while the the other part must fight this feeling in order to be able to have a rational response.

They are so close, meaning they are two sides of the same person, but yet so far, being opposite ways of reacting to a situation.

Sounds a little like Freud's super-ego and id. Super-ego is the part of human pysche which acts rationally upon ingrained moral values, and id is the part that acts upon beastly desires; according to Freud, they are always opposing forces. It's a better answer than mine.

Ok i am gona try this

The first part ("So Close but yet so far")

This could meen you are close to what you are looking for but lack the understanding or skill to

comprehend it.

The second part ("Ones fear is the others one's war")

I have 3 posiable answers for this

1. your fear of other or the unknown is a war that your creatures fight for you

or

2. if you show fear this could lead to your enemies to attack you as they believe you are affraid of them

or to fight them and fear can make one seem week.

or

3. The enemey feed off f your fear and it make them stronger

hope it helps

thanks

yrth

I'm not really good with riddles, but I think Glaistig and Venger might be onto something here. Who knows, maybe the right answer is already in one of their posts. :)

To me, "So close but yet so far" could be almost any intangible concept. Anything intimate but not fully comprehensible would fit this description. Dreams or nightmares being examples.

I have no idea what to make of "Ones fear is the other ones war" though, but I'm liking Glaistig's first suggestion, and I don't see the point of discarding a possibility for being "too obvious".

2. if you show fear this could lead to your enemies to attack you as they believe you are affraid of them

or to fight them and fear can make one seem week.

or

3. The enemey feed off f your fear and it make them stronger

Possibility 2 and 3 sound more like "ones fear is the other ones boon". I doubt it fits with the riddle.

Eh, could be the struggle between life and death...or just plain ol' Death. Most normal people fear death, while sickly people struggle and fight death. Also Death is always right around the corner, you never know when your number is up. Just my tired mind trying to make sense of things

Here is a copy of a forum message I sent STF about the riddle 2 days ago. Since he is still stuck there it must have not been the answer nevertheless I still think the answer is probably game related and you guys are being too philosophical about it:

I tried finding a way to contact you in game but unfortunitly you can only send a message to people you see (and I can't pass the Gates of Ages to get to where you are in GG) or those on your friend list (and you arn't). So I had to use the forum.

I think I may have figured out Morpheus’s riddle. The riddle was ‘So close but yet so far, ones fear is the other ones war’ right? So I looked back at some of the older adventure logs and found that when BigC first met the Wizard he found out he was trying to summon the great warrior Wodan Ullr. So the wizard could be trying to summon him because he is afraid of something and needs Wodan Ullr to fight that thing. So The Wizards fear is Wodan Ullrs war. What is the Wizard afraid of? I don’t know maybe something in Necrovion or maybe whatever killed Marind not enough of the story is out to be able to figure that out. ‘So close but yet so far’ may refer to the fact that you are physically close to the Wizard yet psychically far away from him having been sent of into a dream world created by Morpheus. Hope this helps.

oh... thank you very much. i did not think of that.

i will try what you said.

thank you again

Magic duel? Since we are everyday very close to it, but a fantasy world is very far away from reality, im fearing to really get addicted, war and fights we have got every day. Or its Murs personal war against computers ….

Magic Spell? Close since you are promised to get one, far since you cant solve the riddle, feared by your enemy, could be used for war.

Correct spelling? According to watter, close but far away. Pupils doing homework fear it, teachers have a war introducing it in the world …

Your shade? Since its attached to you but can reach huge dimensions if the source of light is placed correct, weak players fear them, simplyzero wages war against them.

A dream? Close but far, could be a dream of fear or war

Mmmh, I did think of the dream/nightmare possibility, but it seemed to obvious to me.

And as I can see so far, The 'close yet far' thing we all agree upon, it's intangible and easy to guess, but we can't since we don't know the meaning of the 2nd sentence.

Also, there is no need to put in spoilers, this isn't my riddle topic :).

Death seems possible, but the 'war' thing seems a bit far away from it. Sure in a war there is a lot death, but it doesn't relate to the 'fear'. One may fear death, but how does the opposite, namely the foresight or acknowledgement of death, create war? Unless you're a 'live fast and die young' kinda guy, and you can see your death coming, and therefore create a war, because you have nothing to lose... It seems farfetched to me, but it's still a lot better than my guess :)

Well that wouldn't make sense, as the champion's dome is not just far away in reality, but also in the dreamworld...

I was thinking, maybe we could just spam words into it, and let morpheus take out the correct one :)

I was thinking sleep at first... but is it someone`s war?

it could also be the past or the future, both are close yet far and the future might be someone^s fear...

unless it is a play on words in different languages: war in german means "was", but I guess we can exclude that...

"So close but yet so far,

One's fear is the other one's war."

Do we know that it's supposed to be a riddle? That is has an answer?

To me it sounds like it could be describing a situation: a stalemate.

Imagine two nations, or people, or generically "entities" at odds with each other, locked in an uneasy peace. Each afraid that the other might attack, but neither wanting to start a conflict.

Reflecting upon the Principles, Balance comes to mind first; a balance of power between the two entities for one, but also a symmetry in that "One" and "the other one" can be used interchangeably in that they each fear war from their opposition. It also displays the struggle between Syntropy and Enthropy; maintaining order and calm, yet on the edge of chaos.

This could be nowhere near what Morpheus was in mind, but maybe it will spark something in someone else who will come up with the answer. :)