Magicduel Wiki

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh cool, we were talking about it in multiple topics.

Nice to see it's getting there.

Was just thinking about it... a new wiki always needs so much work, lol, that this new wiki is going to take a while :)

right i started it but wikipedia deleted it

The article Magicduel has been speedily deleted from Wikipedia. This was done because the article seemed to be about a real person, organization (band, club, company, etc.), or web content, but it did not indicate how or why the subject is notable, that is, why an article about that subject should be included in Wikipedia. Under the criteria for speedy deletion, articles that do not indicate the notability of the subject may be deleted at any time. If you can indicate why the subject is really notable, you are free to re-create the article, making sure to cite any verifiable sources.

Please see the guidelines for what is generally accepted as notable, and for specific types of articles, you may want to check out our criteria for biographies, for web sites, for musicians, or for companies. Feel free to leave a note on my talk page if you have any questions about this. NawlinWiki (talk) 14:49, 11 May 2008 (UTC)

so i think we should get some draughts here before we submit

Hmm.. maybe you could create the content before making a page for it. Probably want to write about its history and its unique aspects first.

LOL the last delete articles is from magicduel

17:08, 11 May 2008 NawlinWiki (Talk | contribs) deleted "Magicduel" ‎ (A7 (web): Web content; doesn't indicate importance/significance)

14:49, 11 May 2008 NawlinWiki (Talk | contribs) deleted "Magicduel" ‎ (A7 (web): Web content; doesn't indicate importance/significance)

• Root Admin

i think here we should say about what this game has unique, and point out some unique gaming concepts that make it stand out, like the balanced fights for example. I agree such an article needs to be written very well to be allowed into wiki, and we may also be to small for now, but we can try

If other games are on Wiki, see what they say about theirs. Also, is Magicduel at the top of any polls? The only free game? Can we think of anything else that would make the game notable to someone who doesn't play any games?

K

If other games are on Wiki, see what they say about theirs. Also, is Magicduel at the top of any polls? The only free game? Can we think of anything else that would make the game notable to someone who doesn't play any games?

K

Magicduel really isn't very well-known.. I don't think it's at the top of any poll that has a lot of popular contenders, and since the free credits are going down I doubt it'd stay at the top.

It's always the uniqueness. People who haven't played games haven't played a game like magicduel because the gameplay is one of a kind.. just need to expand on it.

I can see different sections already.

Creature

Fighting/ritual

Principles

Uniqueness of players actions

'' of balance

artwork?/story?

community

lot's of other sections could be available as well, like the shop, mp levels (not being able to mercilessly crush newbs), pvp orientated, the different places, like loreroot or mb, etc etc...

But we do need to draft stuff first.

I'm so in for writing stuff about it, but I have zero wiki experience, except if you count the hours clicking feeling lucky and then clicking dozens of other links, occupying my mind for an entire day... Also I need to finish my exams first, then the dutch motto's :P and then I could help. :)

Hmm.. reading it, I can see some basic stuff that might want to be changed.. For instance, you probably don't want you use either first or second person, so get rid of all the "you"s and replace it with "a player", ect. It also sounds a little biased, as if you are marketing it. Basically, that's our intent, but you should refrain from saying something like, "it involves a lot of strategy" because people's perception of "a lot" varies. Instead, you might want to say that it involves strategy and specify. There are grammar errors, but I guess that can be edited later.

The structure of it might want to be changed, in my opinion. I would add more detail about each section, creating subsections, and the introduction might exclude a few details that could go in other sections. Also, I would add more important sections such as history of how it was set up and the progress of it. I'm sure someone else will come along and make necessary changes, however, and I don't think I should do it since I lack comprehensive understanding of the game itself; these are just my suggestions.

I agree with Glaistig; I think the most important thing is to organize the article into sections and put more details in each. And off on a sort of tangent, I keep imagining in the description for the storyline part of MagicDuel to put some sort of comparison to that of a visual novel game or those old adventure games (I think they were called adventure games), except MagicDuel has the twist of combining the storyline game (if you would call it a game) with the multiplayer aspect. Well, I suppose putting in maps and the creature/duel process with a storyline is unique too, but there are a few games that I've played that were like that; however, none of them were multiplayer. Anyway, it's probably confusing from me, but to those who are familiar with visual novels and stuff, that might make it a bit more clear about what MagicDuel's really like, ehh... And I just keep imagining it like that. n__n;

• Root Admin

i think writing about exact numbers is a bad ideea ... there are 2 puzzles NOW, but that will defenetly change, timer is 10 min now but its actualy depends on land and will also change, .. i think we should talk about the different gameplay ideeas in it more than specific details

One thing that i plan to do ...its not the topic to talk about it but it might help here ... its to call the dev stage "Perpetual Alpha" instead of "Alpha" ... it means game will continue de expand and change at it exists and there wont be a FINAL version, or beta or whatsoever ... its a daring concept that many wont understand but if you think it good, its a great thing.

One other very very important thing are the mindpower levels that are like progressive xp levels from other games but actualy are not, in fact gameplay changes completely at mp6 and plans to include mp7 will change it even more. I also plan to make a shifting possible from a superior mp to a lower one, ..ideea is mp levels look like but are not xp levels (knator has mp1 and players start at mp3)

the fighting ballance is a unique concept that i dodnt saw anywhere so maybe its a good ideea to talk about it too.

there are plenty more but each time i get to read the forum i am very tired, like now.

I think talking about different and unique things will present the game as somesthing worth mentioning and not advertising. I dare to say and you may quote me on this, that MagicDuel will change several gaming concepts if it will be well understood by players. Untill now i could not determine if the majority of players like to play classical archetipal rpg/strategy play or they have 'an open mind' to new , different, things.

i wish i could say more

p.s: again, wiki page is extreamly important, even more important as the site front face :P , its not just one more place to advertise

Wikipedia has a pretty high requirement for proof of significance/notability and that burden of proof is on us the article writers. There are a couple ways something on the internet can be 'notable'... the easiest of course to prove is popularity which MD clearly doesn't have. What magic duel does have is it is relatively unique in a sea of minimally varying games. Unfortunately even if we describe such unique attributes Wikipedia editors won't take our word for it. That's where the "making sure to cite any verifiable sources" part comes in. There are probably other ways of accomplishing this but the only way I can think of is citing a review from a source Wikipedia considers "notable" (ie an entity which has its own Wikipedia entry).

Fundamentally the problem is Wikipedia doesn't want to be used in the way we want to use it so the editors are probably justified in not letting us. This is made worse by the fact that this particular issue appears to be extremely important to a lot of the editors and they tend to be over zealous in their deletion and removal of internet related subjects I believe in an attempt to be considered respectable as an Encyclopedia.

If it merely a wiki you want to make and wikpedia is too much of a hassle maybe wikia.com is a good alternative.

"MediaWiki is a web-based wiki software application used by all projects of the Wikimedia Foundation, all wikis hosted by Wikia, and many other wikis, including some of the largest and most popular ones.[1] Originally developed to serve the needs of the free content Wikipedia encyclopedia, today it has also been deployed by companies for internal knowledge management. "

Maybe something to look into.

Just one page would be good enough, for the start. A whole new wiki? That would be dependent on what would be considered a spoiler. There is also the option to post huge 'Spoiler' tags on almost every single page, but that would be unwise I think.

also if a whole wiki was made for MD then a few people would have to dedicate their time to moderating it, which obviously takes time away from making the game itself better, if a wiki was to be made of it i think MD would have to have a bigger player base

There are two different conversations going on in this thread. One about getting an article on Wikipedia. The other about starting a wiki for MD. The two really don't have anything to do with each other as they serve completely different purposes. The first is an entry in an encyclopedia giving an over view of the game and largely serving the purpose of advertisement (though for that reason they're unlikely to let us do that). The second would be a place where the players of the game could share information with each other. It wouldn't take any of the developers' time as it could easily be "moderated" by the users (generally the point of a wiki is that it's a collaborative effort not much of a top down model).

As for an article on Wikipedia: I don't know; is Wikipedia that tough? I think magicduel does have enough content (that isn't spoiler-related) to write about in an article even though we currently have a small playerbase and are still early in development. And also, is Wikipedia really unlikely to let us create an article that might serve purposes of advertisement if it's clearly objective? We could point out what players dislike about the game as compared to other games and undermine Manu's lauding praises of his own game, but at the same time still attract players just by increasing the awareness of it. :P

Well, at the same time, we would have to keep on editing it as development progresses and I'm already afraid of saying this because I know from experience some people might tell you to do something if you're in support of it (...MB <_< ).

For a wiki: I thought usually these sort of things tend to be databases of information, such as stats of creatures and equipment, or how to get a certain quest done.. which is something I get the impression Manu would not want, since he doesn't allow such information to be shown in the forum and labels them as spoilers.

Well, that's my piece of mind.. refrained from putting it when MB posted, but now that Eldrad's come along I can't help but do so.

I see 3 notable aspects of Magic Duel.

1. The player is encouraged to lose as many fights as s/he wins.

2. It is possible for players to have new game content implemented by the decisions they make during quests/tasks.

3. Movement is not governed by WASD or arrow keys on keyboard.

Instead of using Wikipedia, why can't we just make a game wiki on Magic Duel's server?

There should be several wiki types to choose from. At some later point all the game wiki content could be copied over to the worldwide Wikipedia.