Item suggestion - Wizard's Book

Jubaris

I don't have a particular way of obtaining in mind, but I just like the idea. My feelings tend towards it being obtainable for people in association with usage of magic, but how exactly would it get implemented I am very open for discussion. I would be fond of giving some ideas of my own regarding 'how to get it', but I would prefer first hearing thoughts on the item itself, does it sound appropriate, would you guys like seeing it implemented, etc.

Regarding the 'research' background you question - I would connect it with the memory stones themselves. This book also has magic/thoughts imprinted in it, only it is stronger in enchantment.

Consider it a more complex version of a memory stone, performed by a strong wizard.

An option for your first question - Book obtainable by WP shop, like the bestiary. You imprint three of your spells in it. You can trade it, or keep it for various reasons. (optimizing imprinting memory stones, role play, etc.)

Perhaps it has paper made from memory stones but in a more stable from so that it can enchant multiple stones without breaking. Perhaps there is the "Empty Book" item consisting of the book casing and binding but nothing more, the "Pages" which are processed from memory stones and take two people whom each have 8 casts of the spell remaining to enchant with spells. Enchanted pages can be added to books that don't already have them.

Perhaps limit the amount of pages a book can hold. (five max?)

As the title says.

Item would have a list of not-that-common, but not-that-powerful spells.

When you use it, it would enchant one of your memory stones with a random spell from its list.

It should have some good cooldown though.

So, actually, what you're asking is an endless supply of spells for memory stones ?

I don't think it is a good idea. I'd take JUST ONE very powerful spell, enchant into book, then use it on stone every few days. Then I'd give it to my friends to do the same and then we'd have so many power. Neah, not a good idea.

--------------------------

What you can do is to use it just like the bestiary: a book of spells that you had (use one usage of the spell to be written on this book) and you can display it just like the bestiary.

The only difference should be that there should not be a limit to number of spells it contains.

I did mention a cooldown, you assumed I meant a very short one. x)

Cooldown should be picked so it doesn't go 'worse' than double/triple the regular speed of 'mass-producing' concrete spell. (plus the random effect I mentioned would counter-balance it significantly).

All in all, this isn't a radical-changing addition, just something which would add more flavor to the system of outer-magic and RP ambient.

Or at least I thought it would. If nobody likes it, no point in its existence then.

Rhaegar, I agree with you , the spells need improvements but not the way you suggest.

Why don't you really read my example ?

So, actually, what you're asking is an endless supply of spells for memory stones ?

I don't think it is a good idea. I'd take JUST ONE very powerful spell, enchant into book, then use it on stone every few days. Then I'd give it to my friends to do the same and then we'd have so many power. Neah, not a good idea.

plus the random effect I mentioned would counter-balance it significantly

Picking a random item from a total of 1 items is invariable the same. Maybe it is a coincidence ? Try to randomly pick another item from the same pile of one item.

From what I understand, this book, as you proposed it, would grant regenerate spells to other players.

Have the book usable only if it contains three or more spells.

Give the book "unlimited" uses but give it one effective use.

Every two weeks when Spells regen give it another use if it has depleted its use.

edit: finished the post that i submitted prematurely

Edited by Rophs

I wanted to address that point as well, No one, but then I erased the paragraph thinking I would venture into bs-ing as usual :D

In my original thought (which can be altered of course) I was leaning towards a fixed number of spells, say 3 or 4.

This logically contradicts my suggestion regarding the WP shop and the bestiary parallel because if a player can create a random 3-4 book-spell, why wouldn't he be able to do the same with just one, as you implied? 

So that implementation doesn't work out.

The book should be a semi-mysterious item, made by someone more adept in magic than you (in general) and semi-rare, which neutralizes the option of it being the product of regular player's creation.

Either the implementation and its explanation background gets changed, or the actual item attributes.

If we are to keep the item's attributes, then the implementation of the item could be some sort of a quest, or rewarded in special opportunities/events.

Thought occurred to me that such book can be used as a 'shared' location item. (item effect made in a clickable that has certain requirements - heat or something more serious)

(Regarding your thought of having a bestiary-like papers with your spells, I like it, but it should be another topic as it is unrelated to what I am talking about here)

If you take out the description, you essentially have a spell use multiplier with a bit of randomness. It doesn't change spells at a very deep level at all, only creating more of them. I like the idea, but the mechanics could be better, I think :) For example, it could combine 3 spells, and after loading enough heat, cast all 3 at once. Or the bestiary-type idea, I like that. There are a lot more interesting/niche things a spell book could do rather than cast spells like you already can.