Torch Competition proposals

Zyrxae

We're currently looking at possible changes to the Torch Contest. Some ideas are below, as well as some previous topics for reference.

A generals sword allows you to join the Torch Contest for a land you are not a member of. You must convince them that you are loyal and then be sworn into their service at the capital location.

While you hold a torch, your Torch Team replaces your alliance page (although you remain a member of your current alliance.)
- While on the same scene as a teammate, the General has the power to take away that teammate's torch
- Alliance chat would be team chat
- "Jump to leader" would jump you to the General

The closer you are to the enemy capital, the more AP needed to take a step.
- While on enemy territory, have the amount of AP needed to take a step while holding a torch be based on the number of steps needed to reach the capital of the land you're trespassing on, from your current scene.

The more people bearing torches of the land you're trying to score against that you kill, the greater your score when you reach that land's capital.
- For example, if you're from GG and you're trying to score at Raven Hold, killing people with LR torches will count double as much as killing people bearing torches of other lands. If you later decide to score at Wind's Sanctuary instead (without scoring or having been killed), then your kills of MB torchbearers will count double as much as your kills of non-MB torchbearers.

Other torch idea topics: 1, 2, 3, others?

More ideas are welcome and can be split into other topics as the discussion warrants.

Edited by Zyrxae

Hmm, lots to ponder, but I kinda like the "old/current"  system of Torches just fine with only one real "complaint" to make it run better.

Bob being a capital really messes up the strategy.     Not sure how to fix that other than removing that scene as a 'capital' though.   Otherwise, the all AP=0 when moving with a torch works for me.  Not convenient, of course, but 'works' for strategic planning and overall "balance" in my mind.

I know you have soem big Changes planned Chewett.   So I won't suggest anything new right now for this.  I helped a few Torches and it wasn't toooooo unfair the way it stood now, except for not being able to visit GG or Necro very easily at all from MB/LR.   Is there an East/Tribunal Torch now?  I honestly forget.

The >>>s are from the original post, the normal text is from Chew, and these are my responses. (Not trying to hog space for myself; we've been discussing different subjects, just not all of them are so public):

>>>While you hold a torch, your Torch Team replaces your alliance page (although you remain a member of your current alliance.)
Possibly, although there needs to be some reason to have this page showing, what will it display?
The core concept behind this: while you're on a torch team, your loyalty to the team overtakes your other allegiances.

>>>While on the same scene as a teammate, the General has the power to take away that teammate's torch
What is the reasoning for this? Torchs can be discarded at capital.
If the General believed a team member to have been disloyal, or had some other strategic reason not to want that person on their team (liability issue/wanted to use them as a scout/etc.), they could kick that member.

>>>Alliance chat would be team chat
Comes close to "global chat" and mur doesnt like this, further reasoning may be needed for this
At least partially balanced in that players would lose access to alliance chat while on a team, thus trading one system of 'global chat' for another. I don't imagine that teams would greatly exceed the size of large alliances, and 50-seat alliances were implemented, which at least theoretically would have allowed 50 people to talk to each other from anywhere.

>>>"Jump to leader" would jump you to the General
Much too abusive, would break the whole point of moving through the high AP. I trust you know that during TC you prettymuch lose all of your AP each time you move? I dont know if you guys have actually played TC.
I've played, not sure about others, and from what I've read from forum feedback, people jumping to their alliance leaders during TC made for good strategy and wasn't overly unbalanced.*

The idea here is a shift toward promoting team play over individual torch-running and enabling participation even on the part of non-fighters. Theoretically, Generals could invite someone to the team without having them bear a torch. They would have access to the team's alliance interface and be able to coordinate movements with the team, but act as spies by walking torchless into enemy land.

>>>The closer you are to the enemy capital, the more AP needed to take a step.
- While on enemy territory, have the amount of AP needed to take a step while holding a torch be based on the number of steps needed to reach the capital of the land you're trespassing on, from your current scene.
Again, dont know if you have played TC, tweaking the AP requirements and such would be needed for the new AP changes of all the lands.
Which factors would need to be considered in tweaking the AP requirements? Would the total amount of AP needed to move from a land's gate to its capital need to be about equal for all the lands?

>>>The more people bearing torches of the land you're trying to score against that you kill, the greater your score when you reach that land's capital.
Possible, but needs additional data to be added to the storage, since currently it only tracks number of kills. Could be an addition for later.
Ok. It seems fitting that killing someone trying to defend the land you’re attacking would hurt that land more than killing any old torchbearer.

* Chew's reply to this:

It was entirely unbalanced... That was the primary problem with the TC, people jumping around bypassed all loyalty and became a game of "who can get most people jumping into capital at once"

Edited by Zyrxae