help in filling out papers

Ary Endleg

~comments on self
introductionary story - short introduction about my character
ongoing story - stuff happened so far, this part would be updated as things go on
aspiring story - mention stuff that my character aspires to achieve, if those stuff changes it gets updated

updating can happen inside that part of story to which it belongs to, but then simultaneously need to update aspiring part so to mention change happened like this stuff is done as you read above and that something new is pursued, or updated will be linearly after aspiring story part, in a journal way (seems like better way)

problems: story like this can easily snowball which is bad, just adding stuff down will make huge amount of text nobody will read, it would appear tiresome just by looking at amount of it, when reading it old parts wouldnt be in harmony with new parts unless its all completly rewritten (while reading people will have the feeling they went in time travel and first spoke with same character in the past, they wouldnt have feeling that story is being freshly told to them from present perspective and hench many new people could get confused if they dont pay enough attention and fully understand the evolution of it, which cant be expected in any way)

another problem is what else to put in there, goal is to have just the right size story but yet if its only story in there it appears monotone, need ideas on what else to put in there but have the following in mind

~profile

idea is to keep papers simple enough so that their appearece wouldnt interfere with profile page, i plan to make really fancy profile page and since papers can be made a part of profile, their content and appearence must not mess up the profile

for profile i will have coding help to make all looks nicely arranged and styled, will be using stuff that game allows to put in there with templates feature, and some ideas on what original content i can add manually is welcome

yet another problem is i planned to draw myself some .... bad... drawings but then i remembered i have only crap phone camera and no experience on how to render picture and make transparency not to mention i have no tools for that (i can do simple things on computer pictures but not with pictures of drawings), which strips me off potential artwork. getting somebody else to do it instead wont work, i think, only if i do it myself will be how i want it and yet i have no clue how i want it

~hate list
if i put all those stuff at comments of self and profile, for what to use other papers for? as you see i dont have much ideas. you can say i should look at papers of others. to that i can say that those people who have stuffed a lot of stuff in there have things i am too young and dont plan to put (personal shop listings for example), or dont want to put (tons of chat logs, computer made artwork, non classical style music (yup i plan to put some relaxing instrumental music of classical style but then again i need to pay attention towards profile since papers are part of it and 2 pieces of music playing at same time... no good))

there might be few other things i wanted to write about this but i forgot, so help me out with information i currently provided

Other than random updates here and there, my papers are the same as when i first put them together.

my point? Just put in there what works for you, and for your character at this moment in time. If you wish to change directions/include or exclude back story, you can do so.

Long story short, let your papers grow with you. What you put in there today may not be relevant tomorrow and can be changed to reflect that as needed.

Also, I read everyone's papers that pass by me. even the really really long ones, lol.

http://magicduel.invisionzone.com/forum/262-personal-page-templates/

Also, somewhere, there is a paper-shaper contest. Used to be headed by Kafuuka. i don't know who is running it now, You could inquire there for more definative suggestions other than my extremely vague ones,

Edited by Intrigue

ou right, i will then start coming up with content that i had in mind to put in there so far and i guess i will see if something else shows up to include

i have to do hard part now, define my character properly, currently i am unsure what to put as focus goal....

but excluding back story or even worse changing it, wouldnt that be like cardinal sin?

people come and read your papers learn about your character and then one day person changes back story completly, wouldnt that have major impact on how others who knew old story now interact with him?

As in real life, I am not who I was years ago, so although people may have memories of that person, I am not that person any more. There are still similarities, but the whole of who I am is totally different. Same with my character here. Intrigue is still a goofball at times, but i don't run around drawing on people as much, or assaulting people with flowers. Instead, she's more of a watcher, and more inquistive about the workings of things, as opposed to just running with whatever comes along.

As you work on your papers, if you'd like, i'm sure if you'd ask around some people would be happy to give you feedback on whether they read well, flows easily, etc.

• Root Admin

If you radically change your back story, i would agree thats bad. Because your back story is what makes your character, a character.

But obviously every day your character has an option to change in some ways, so change.

i meant if you rewrite history in back story, lets say, you did something and now you say you didnt do it

edit:

i didnt mean about personality of character, but about past actions, personality change is understandable, but still if you was in past like this you cant change now that you was different in past, you can only change that you are different now

Edited by Ary Endleg

this is how i look at it when it comes to the backstory:

1. Is it relevant to how your character acts/interacts with others and will the change be noticed in big ways?

2. Is it a major change or a minor one (ie:you decide your char would be better looking with short hair instead of long) and can it be incorperated into your story?

3. Does anyone reference that as they interact with you (Intrigue was kidnapped as a child, but i took out the whole story of it, and shortened it to just the very very basics, made little to no difference)?

So, if it's like super huge... you go from being a fire breathing dragon with mega-god powers who thinks everyone is crunchy and brings ketchup everywhere, to a puppy who just loves everyone, then no, don't change. but if it's simple, or irrelevant, or nothing that causes major down-the-road changes ( i shoulda bought that muffin this morning!!), then no harm done in changing it.

Most of all though, just remember that whatever you put as your backstory, is you. day in and day out in MD, this is who you're going to be, so make sure you describe something that is well suited to you and something you can portray well. I sucked at being a Kentauride warrior, so that account went away, and i'm back to a solo account until i feel like trying my hand at something else. But, my main, Intrigue, she's still just the same as she ever was. Easy to portray, and second nature to me.

• Root Admin

I used to have a Backstory from "before MD" but in the end i removed it all becuase now my history is purely based on my time in MD. People cant remeber/werent around for everything i have done, so why should they learn about some made up rubbish from before that, when so much of my history is forgotten anyway?

Your actions in MD will form the more important backstory. Those are fixed.

eh i didnt want to write that kind of backstory, i dont like calling it back story, more like introductionary story, as for excuse of not mentioning anything before paper cabin, what better excuse is there than amnesia :D

for same reason i dont want to use artwork that isnt hand drawn and only edited for transparency (will think about background image for paper of some kind, might be the only exception), because it all has to be in same game spirit

so now some technical question

i want to remove/edit that pesky thing on papers called "comments on self" label, closest parent element has class storyline-text, but if i mess with it i can only change stuff that isnt defined by css in its child elements, so i cant change color of it for example and what if i want to change text of it, i know a bit css and as far as i know javascript is required for such things, the easiest way would be to get javascript code to remove that label, and if needed i can then just normally add more titles

so any help with that?

You can use JQuery for that (it's improved javascript). I think that if you put that at the end of your html it should work :

<script>
$(document).ready( function () {
$('.NAME OF THE CLASS').text('YOUR TITLE');
});
</script>

Hmm, I'm on my phone and i can't see the name of the class while writting, but it should be something like that. I'll try to give you a more accurate anwser tomorrow, because there is a high risk that this code don't work.

Edit : glad to read that it worked, it's always better to use html instead of javascript ^^

Edited by Dolomich

hands down it worked, i only know some html and css, no javascript so i googled

class is storyline-text

i actually tried to remove that element it didnt work with what i googled and piled up, but if i write nothing instead "your title" at least it isnt displayed

i think one title is enough (the one we can set ourselves) and then it can be edited with css (since it has no assigned inner css directly on element)

can you write code to completly remove table rows of both titles in papers? plan to get a bit more of space on paper page ^^ and would like code that changes height for div element of paper body(body as main content on paper not html element)

i wonder why does td element that contains body of papers have height of 140px while div inside has 480px since div style overrides its parents height definition which is defined in html and not css, well weird

edit:

i just got new dilema to write papers in first person or in third person, what do you guys think which one would be better?

Edited by Ary Endleg

first person is more personal, its a personal recollection, a memory of past events, or a past life. a memory is more character focused, as its from that character (yours?) perspective , whereas third person would be more event focused, and just telling a story of what happened, from an outside perspective, sort of like an omnipresent onlooker surveying the events you are writing about. both styles can be really powerful and emotional if written correctly, so it all comes down to if you want it to be a memory or a story

Sy

Edited by Syrian

i think i will try writting both ^^ as soon as i finish laying things that will define my character and then decide which one will be better

edit: can someone tell me where i can upload font file which i want to use for my papers, i have picked handwritten typeface to use on my papers, file formats are ttf and eot (for pesky ie)

Edited by Ary Endleg

You must find a server to upload it, and then add it using the @font-face css property. I don't know where you can easily upload fonts, but you could also check google font, which provide fonts to download for web sites. If you find a similar police that you like, you juste have to follow the instructions and it should be fine.
Simply put the css in a <style> , and then don't forget to define the font on the text you use.

If you really want to use your own font, then this will help you : http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_font-face_rule.asp

can anybody tell me why this jquery code aint working?

<script>
$(".c1").click(function(){
  $("#stats").hide();
  $("#doc4").hide();
  $("#doc3").show();
});
$(".c2").click(function(){
  $("#doc3").hide();
  $("#stats").hide();
  $("#doc4").show();
}); 
$(".c3").click(function(){