What is your favorite Principle?

Granos

Principles  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Transposition Principle.

I don't know why, but this one has always fascinated me.The concept of people passively adapting to or even being able to amplify their surroundings makes me look at certain real life situations in a new way. I see, for example, when I am teaching a class of mixed abilities and I move a less knowledgeable student from a seat next to someone of the same ability to sit next to a much stronger student, their attitude - and sometimes even application to the tasks at hand - changes.. even when they are not collaborating with the stronger student.

I also feel the transposition principle can help your intuition in being able to "see through" people. For example, I can generally tell the difference between someone who has a depth in knowledge of something and someone who does not, even from a brief conversation without further "questioning". Difficult to explain correctly but I will try to think of an example.

Lands of the East

I have always been drawn to neutrality, that is why i chose the role of peacekeeper when I created Ailith. I have belonged, briefly, to three of the four main lands in MD but none ever felt like I was meant to be there. When I first visited the Lands of the East, I felt a sense of tranquility I had not experienced before in terms of lands and surroundings. I suppose I literally feel at peace there..

Water

When I created Ailith, I instinctively associated her with the element of water. Not just because I am a pisces, but in life I am always drawn to visit the sea, rivers and lakes. Again, it brings me peace. In terms of the attributes of water and my personality, I suppose that comparison would be better coming from someone who knows me very well.

(edited: I forgot it takes all kinds... :) )

Edited by Guest

Transposition. I like the name, it feels less clunky than all the others. I was initially drawn to it because when I was but a simple MP3, I thought it'd give me teleport spells (SPOILER ALERT: I didn't read much)

Tribunal. Appeals strongly to my explorer side as the most recently opened land, and it's just a neat place.

Fire. Dunno, just guessed.

Hmm... For me it depends on my mood/who I am playing as.

Legna is time, loreroot, and wind

Assira is darkness, Necrovion/East, and fire.

In rl I guess I would lean more towards time, loreroot, and earth.

So I have split personalities...

Legna:

Time because of the dualities between a young soul and having knowledge beyond that of a child. Something I related to when I was little. Loreroot, I have always like nature and wildness of it. If you show me a picture of a group of healthy 'weeds' versus a clean cut lawn. I prefer the 'weeds'. (I put 'weeds' in quotes because weeds are only an unwanted plant... I love all plants) Wind since it seems playful and carefree with a lot of potiential.

Assira:

Darkness, for mystery and the hidden things in life. Necrovion because of the history personal and md related history. East because of dark allys and the pub and its over all poteintial. Fire for the passion that I have for the rp dances.

RL:

Time since I have ponder the concept more often than I do other principles. Loreroot becaus I love plants. And earth... because I love plants.

Another words... I love plants.

I don't know why, but this one has always fascinated me.The concept of people passively adapting to or even being able to amplify their surroundings makes me look at certain real life situations in a new way. I see, for example, when I am teaching a class of mixed abilities and I move a less knowledgeable student from a seat next to someone of the same ability to sit next to a much stronger student, their attitude - and sometimes even application to the tasks at hand - changes.. even when they are not collaborating with the stronger student.

I'm wondering if in such case that "stronger" student drops in performance since the "weaker" shows improvement or you didn't take notice to this possible reversely opposite thing at all?

I'm wondering if in such case that "stronger" student drops in performance since the "weaker" shows improvement or you didn't take notice to this possible reversely opposite thing at all?

The studies show that its generally not the case, if the stronger student still feels "challenged". So if the stronger students gets harder tasks from time to time to match his level of ability and knowledge.

Es for the Principle I chose Entropy, because for me its one of the most faschinating one. I still keep pondering about cause-effect relationshiop direction between Entropy and Time..so yeah - stop-the-entropy-and-live-forever kind of thoughts or maybe never stop it and enter a new circle of life...

anyways, the land affiliation is Necrovion and the Element - fire :)

Es for the Principle I chose Entropy, because for me its one of the most faschinating one. I still keep pondering about cause-effect relationshiop direction between Entropy and Time..so yeah - stop-the-entropy-and-live-forever kind of thoughts or maybe never stop it and enter a new circle of life...

When a thing seals itself against it's own destruction, it merely dies a different death.

Good question, Ary. As this is a very specific observation concerning one aspect of transposition. The key is really in taking notice of the words that I used to explain it. I said that I had observed this in classes of "mixed level abilities". In such cases, the stronger students do not appear affected. So the example I gave is a result of everything I "took notice" of.

Now, if I were to put one strong student in with a GROUP of weaker students, I am positive I would observe alternative reactions. As this would, however, be a highly unprofessional thing to do (even for an experiment for MD :P) I have yet to confirm what I expect would happen.

As I said, I gave one example of one aspect of transposition. I am very eager to know what, in your owns words, you consider the Transposition Principle to be.

Also, what observations have you made in real life of the other aspects of transposition?

I am very much looking forward to reading what you think as this topic is a favourite of mine :)

(Mods, so as we don't derail Granos's topic, could you put Ary's question and my response as a separate thread please? Title could be "Real life observations of Transposition" or something like that. My thanks.)

Principle: Balance and Imagination, as a very close second, are the two principles I find myself more drawn towards, not just in my in-game life where Imagination dominates ("Do you all hear that or is it just me?"  ;)) and Balance seems like a distant and elusive goal, but mainly in my life out of the game, where both principles work in tandem like a motivating force, a tool and a source to create flow in motion, art.

Element: Water, with Wind being a close second as well, again following the "flow in motion" idea.

Land affiliation: Loreroot, more because of my adaptability to the "wild and harsh" side of life, like strict routine (in training and otherwise) and heavy working schedules, than any kind of affinity with nature, but with minor tendencies towards Marind Bell.

Was waiting for mods, but none showed up yet...

Good question, Ary. As this is a very specific observation concerning one aspect of transposition. The key is really in taking notice of the words that I used to explain it. I said that I had observed this in classes of "mixed level abilities". In such cases, the stronger students do not appear affected. So the example I gave is a result of everything I "took notice" of.

Now, if I were to put one strong student in with a GROUP of weaker students, I am positive I would observe alternative reactions. As this would, however, be a highly unprofessional thing to do (even for an experiment for MD :P) I have yet to confirm what I expect would happen.

As I said, I gave one example of one aspect of transposition. I am very eager to know what, in your owns words, you consider the Transposition Principle to be.

Also, what observations have you made in real life of the other aspects of transposition?

I am very much looking forward to reading what you think as this topic is a favourite of mine :)

(Mods, so as we don't derail Granos's topic, could you put Ary's question and my response as a separate thread please? Title could be "Real life observations of Transposition" or something like that. My thanks.)

Google says that mixed abilities concerns handicapped students? Didn't knew that, but I don't think it matters, I consider this to be beyond the limitations of individuals.

Transposition itself as principle didn't sparked my question. My question came from other things we get told during life such as

• matter is energy
  • energy can't be created or destroyed which means that when there is transfer of energy it goes from one place to another
  • information if shared isn't lost but instead it's doubled (cloned/recreated) due to fact that now more people posses it

Lately there are more and more people who think information is next link in matter-energy chain and that they are goveremend by same laws. In which case we can see contraditiction in statements above since if information is energy then either energy can be create or information can't be created. Which leads to further study of information itself and it's relation to matter and energy as well as problem of identity. I personally didn't ponder much into such subject but I find it quite intriguing. Now this relates to your example because it begs the very same question if "stronger" student drops in performance then it would support classical aproach of transfer, if not then we witness information enrichment phenomena. Although such things in itself aren't enough to prove much they do add more insight into matter at hand. Once again there is this identity problem, because it's unknown how information is extracted and transfered with help of it, but it's very probable that when information is shared it is never the same but instead always slighty different no matter the effort to preserve or clone original. There is a lot of we could speculate about this.

And yes, I too think better student would drop in performance. I'm quite sure it's similar to thermodynamics with exception of this change being temporary. Meaning when two entities are close they balance themselves down to equal level once separated they go back to original state. However there is also quite possible that this is not always true, I forsee two more possible scenarios. In some cases it would be possible that transfer doesn't happen, for example two enemies in hand2hand combat. Another scenario is that the longer time is spent in this changed state caused by transfer the more likely that more and more of this change becomes permanent.

If that is the case next question is what about mentors? They spend lot of time in close contact with pupils, did you as a teacher noticed performance drop after lets say 5 years of work? If not would it be possible that individual advancement, honning of skills from environment such as self improvement and self-teaching restores the transfered values in mentor and helps grow skills generally by drawing the power from environment? This should be especially evident due to development of humanity and existance of death. Otherwise information would be able to be created without limits and only the death of holder would destroy it, something which I doubt is the case. I believe there is flow of it similar to energy flow, but yet to be uncovered.

If this speculation turns true it would also rise ethical questions such as how moral is it for weaker student to draw from stronger since it potentially deplates the stronger one's earned improvement, and so on.

Was waiting for mods, but none showed up yet...

Google says that mixed abilities concerns handicapped students? Didn't knew that, but I don't think it matters, I consider this to be beyond the limitations of individuals.

Oh dear I hope they show up soon :/

We use that as a term to denote those who are of the same homogenous level but are still "weaker" or "stronger" than others. It is true that it is also a proposed term for disabled school pupils now too :)

Thank you, Ary.. I find this fascinating. The first part almost makes me want to drop a student into a lower level class just to see what happens lol. I like the idea that information is shared in this way. I also observe a transfer of feelings on occasion, such as confidence and becoming more open.. like the difference between shrugging shoulders and giving up and being willing to at least try and do an exercise. Now, after your rather scientific description, I might come across as a massive hippy, but I believe that we share a consciousness. That in this example the shared necessity of learning allows the students to influence each other passively in both knowledge and feelings.

I would like to look more into what you said and look at both ideas comparatively...

(I'm cutting my response short because I work long weekdays, am tired and I would like to transfer a meal into my stomach by means of the principle of nomming)

Edited by Guest

Yes emotions and general attidute is also affected by this, good notice. There is also a study related to similar things about how brain EM waves' affect socialization. You know, "we are on the same wavelenght" thing :P

Edit: I forgot to mention another subject which has close resemblance to this, it's about how we as humans aren't trying to be unique but rather copy behaviour of others, it's subconscious thing that gives us a feeling of need to belong, hence we want to fit in by following, not leading.

Edited by Ary Endleg

My favourite principle is Imagination. I love how it is behind the creation of many wonderful things and how it can also be used to influence perception and by extension, emotions and actions.

On another note, my land affiliation is Necrovion and my favourite element is wind.

Edited by JadenDew

Although tempted to pick Imagination, Darkness represents much better the way I deal with stuff.

My land affiliation is Necrovion.

I wouldn't pick any of the 4 elements as favorite (where's aether when you need it?), but being a human I see myself made of water.

Element

It is the one principle I feel like I get, was the first one I picked. Theoretical has never been my favorite, I like the one that comes across as most practical and more like other stuff I've spent time learning about.

Lands of the East

Earth

I like fire, fire is fun, but I'm not energetic enough for fire.

Principle: Cyclicity

I'll go with Cyclicity as in-character, Aeo's life is determined by unending cycles. While each cycle has something new and loses something from the previous one, overall the results are the same - the cycles "drift" but in the end, are still cycles.

Element: Wind/Air

While individually weak and easily ignored, Aeo can vary from a soothing breeze to a sharp, cutting blizzard. Difficult to grasp, elusive, unpredictable and changing on the outside like the weather, however keeping his essence eternally and enduring, walking on his path until the end of time, which for him, will not come: the winds will not stop sweeping the land. (see cyclicity)

Land Affinity:

Loreroot is the land that Aeo feels closest to, as it brings peace to his troubled heart. While his purpose may not always be the same as the forest's, he will not harm the Root on his own will. However, even though having only visited it once, he is also drawn to Necrovion, as these two lands resemble his essence: loving life, growth and attempting to protect it, yet being stained by his attempts at gazing into the Void and by the use of blood magic, both for the sole purpose of giving him greater power, power that he needs to protect others. In previous cycles, he has always failed and he has yet to find a way to find balance between the two sides.

I have a hard time deciding between Time and imagination.. Time continues onwards both ahead and behind and isn't limited by things the way one's imagination can be, however, imagination can mould and shape you and things around you in ways that can be useful or harmful, as one's mind has so much control over one's reality.

No man's land... because, well... I wasn't really affiliated with any land for much of my time in MD, other than deciding to hang out with Tree and Z, and that was long before there was an alliance there.

Fire because it can harm you or help you, light the way or blind you, it all depends on how you use it.

Darkness... because it opened my mind. Made me realize that if there was no light at all, there would be infinite darkness (obviously) but at the same time there wouldn't be any darkness since it only exists due to the existence of light...

Loreroot... because my experiences with it taught me what loyalty really means, what a home is, what friends are, what your greatest strength is...

Fire... because I believe that even though people may not see it in them, it is present in every soul, and the way it shines, brightens, and dims is what makes each one of us unique...