Tagging Announcements

Chewett

• Root Admin
We are going to tag announcements from now on, This will help finding things you want in the announcements.

Each announcement can have more than one tag. Please suggest adding/removing tags. Ideally every announcement would have a tag.

I suggest these tags:
Feature
Bugfix
Ruling/Rule
Automatic
Reward
Punishment

Example Post:

ADD tag X Reason: Because I like X
REMOVE tag punishment Reason: Ruling fits this better

ADD tag "Contest/Quest/Event" Reason: there are announcements announcing contests/quests/events, adding a tag would be nice

ADD tag "Small Change" Reason: announcements indicating fixing of typos or the title of the logout page aren't bugfixes, despite being the pinnacle of change in MD

Ann. 3062 - [2014-07-06 12:24:08 - Stage 12] Posted By Chewett 
The title of the logout page has been successfully changed to "Logged Out" this important change will be the pinnacle of change in MD.

ADD tag "Server Elf" Reason: things such as planned downtime or server elves get their own category too!

Ann. 3080 - [2014-07-19 14:19:23 - Stage 12] Posted By Chewett 
A passport has arrived for one of the server elves so they can travel to a new locations in London to store the backups. Each day they travel to London to store the backups in a second location. This will mean that the database backups are also located in a second place should the server have hiccups.

edit: Announcements below potential tags are examples of what types of announcements the tags would be applied to.

Edited by Rophs

• Root Admin
New list:
Feature
Bugfix
Ruling/Rule
Automatic
Reward
Punishment
Event - added
Minor Change - Added
Server Work/Game Adminstration - added
Discussion (previously request for comment)  - added

---

misc - avoiding this for now, use minor change?
quest = event
Mur - give examples?

----

@ lash: yes
Edited by Chewett

By Automatic you mean like: 

All shared items have been returned to their original place

All counters for permanent spell/abilities were recharged

?

if yes then i would think "System" would be a better tag for such announcments, but thats mostly be being picky :P

Sy

Add:

Heads Contest

Reason:

There are a lot of announcements about the heads contest(s) that people often want to look through (frequency, rule changes, results, etc)

Add:

Torch Contest

Reason:

There are a lot of announcements about the torch contest(s) that people often want to look through (frequency, rule changes, results, etc)

• Root Admin
New list:
Feature
Bugfix
Ruling/Rule
Automatic
Reward
Punishment
Event - added
Minor Change - Added
TC - Added
HC - Added
---
quest = event
Mur - give examples?

Item /Items

for things such as jadens vial of hope, possibly for shared tools also, player useable items that have been coded and put into the realm, slightly different from a feature in that a feature doesnt have to be an item.

Sy

Tags such as TC, HC, BHC, Items, Server Work and Items  are tags that you are unlikely to see standing on their own; generally, TC, HC and BHC fall within the purvey of Events (though not Quests), Items fall within Features/Rewards and Server Work falls within System (though not Automatic), just as Jailed would be a subcategory of Punishment.

To add them is to have finer search options, and while it also means to have to keep track of more tags when assigning them, and hence more room for error, the volume of announcements is not large enough to burden anyone so, the initial would be retroactive tagging of those already existent announcements aside.

Some of those subcategories are suitable for recurring matters, but might be developed in overabundance if extended to isolated announcements. For instance, one could simultaneously have an announcement pertaining to the HC be under the Events, Contest and HC tags, but going further than Contest without a well-established event, as is the HC, would be pushing it.

That said, it must first be asked: would you deem the use of subcategory tags (Contest and Quests for Events, for example) desirable in the first place, or should the broader tags be stuck to?

Edited by Azthor

Add Tags:

MDShop - For announcements related to the shop (eg. new release/removal of MDShop Item or changes to the shop)

Creature - For announcements related to creatures such as releasing of new ones (eg. Toxicodendrite, Elucubration)

Thinking about the rarer sort of announcements in my memory, I was wondering what would you tag the announcements about "Master the Void" with..? (tag as Mur? :)) ) What about those nice messages like Ann. 3018?

Edited by JadenDew

• Root Admin
New list:
Feature
Bugfix
Ruling/Rule
Automatic
Reward
Punishment
Event - added
Minor Change - Added
TC - Added
HC - Added
Change - Added, used for stuff when features change
Personal - Random not necessarily MD things

Not adding yet:
---
quest = event
Mur - give examples?
item/items - jadens is a reward, shared items are features
BHC - too rare
Jailed - punnishment
council - unsure what you mean here
md shop - feature
creature - feature

----

@Azthor - more narrow tags where appropiate. such as HC/TC wont go under events since they occurred quite a lot so they get their own tag.

I require a minor clarification, if I may; is that to say HC would go under both its own HC tag and the Event tag, or would it only go under the HC tag? And, if the later, would the omission of HC from the Event tag not potentially add confusion in that one'd otherwise also expect to find it under the aforementioned tag, and might deduce there was no one such a new announcement, as it was not found therein?

• Root Admin

I require a minor clarification, if I may; is that to say HC would go under both its own HC tag and the Event tag, or would it only go under the HC tag? And, if the later, would the omission of HC from the Event tag not potentially add confusion in that one'd otherwise also expect to find it under the aforementioned tag, and might deduce there was no one such a new announcement, as it was not found therein?

I am planning to add tag hierachy, in that HC falls under events so tagging with HC makes it be tagged with event too.

Will check the announcements later SS

• Root Admin
New list:
Feature
Bugfix
Ruling/Rule
Automatic
Reward
Punishment
Event - added
Minor Change - Added
TC - Added
HC - Added
Change - Added, used for stuff when features change
Personal - Added, Random not necessarily MD things
Role - Added, Role appointment, announcement, similar

Not adding yet:
---
quest = event
Mur - give examples?
item/items - jadens is a reward, shared items are features
BHC - too rare
Jailed - punnishment
council - unsure what you mean here
md shop - feature
creature - feature

----

@SS

Ann - 2791 would be role (new)

The other two would be personal. If its being announced its related to MD so personal doesnt mean "not to do with MD", personal just means its specifically relating to someones personal aspect

Council: Adding tag how many council online (no player name appear) only council 1, council 2, council 3. We can see the council is alive

Market: if we have a market we can exchange gold to silver and silver to gold. We can buy creatures/item/spell using Market

The normal HC I think would also classify this as a system message. Although I think there should be a HC tag I wouldent make it a huge priority though. There needs to be one actually currently taking place to actually add any value. Though I would just put HC under the system tag. It falls in that area and the only thing that the system controls is regroup right now. When HC would become a relevant tag it would be rather near the top.

• Root Admin

Council: Adding tag how many council online (no player name appear) only council 1, council 2, council 3. We can see the council is alive

Market: if we have a market we can exchange gold to silver and silver to gold. We can buy creatures/item/spell using Market

Is this a feature suggested Eagle?

The normal HC I think would also classify this as a system message. Although I think there should be a HC tag I wouldent make it a huge priority though. There needs to be one actually currently taking place to actually add any value. Though I would just put HC under the system tag. It falls in that area and the only thing that the system controls is regroup right now. When HC would become a relevant tag it would be rather near the top.

HC would be system message and HC, Which would also encompass events., so HC would then be under system, HC and events

Also spell recharges fall under system.