The Labyrinth

DARK DEMON

What is the labyrinth? A maze... a challenge... a puzzle... a place you can wander around to be away from the troubles of the realm... what else?

What about a home? How is such a thing possible?

For all the complex, maddening and infuriating network it is... the ideology behind it is somewhat similar.

The Labyrinth is a form of darkness in MD, and just like every single moment you spend inside it, there are at least two ways (or directions :) ) to interpret this... both equally tempting.

One way to see it is that it shrouds everything around you. Much like when engulfed in darkness, the maze is in fact, all you can see around you... you have no idea where to go... you are lost. But, is that a bad thing? Why cannot we remain lost? Why must we spend our whole life trying to find ourselves and helping others find themselves too? And are we really lost after all?

Another way to see it is that it opens up doors to paths you have never seen before. Darkness it required just as much as light to see... its the balancing force. It prevents you from being blinded and helps you stay true to your goal, and instead of "hiding" something inside it, it only prevents the light to fall on it... it still exists, and is still visible to those who can see through the darkness (and/or light? :) ).

There are numerous other ways to interpret the Labyrinth... each person will have a unique opinion; something others had failed to see through the darkness... and this is the way the Labyrinth teaches us control and modesty... there is always something you don't know.

But what is the physical structure of the Labyrinth a representation of? It is more than a maze.... it is in fact, the journey of Life. The twisted paths, the obstacles, the dead ends, the hardships... they are all symbols of what life throws at us. And of course... then comes the big surprise that lies at the end... the reward; the prize for those who succeed.

And nothing but an "endless" harsh path for those who fail... fail to open their minds and see through the darkness... fail in life.

The Labyrinth can become anything you see it as; it can reveal any opening anywhere if you manage to look through. Thus, in more than one way, it is also a symbol of freedom. There are no restrictions; no limit to its potential and what you can do with it, though this again is unique to each individual as to how much he sees.

Edited by Chewett
Merged Posts, Please dont doublepost people...

One step ahead to ask fro Laby citizenship? :D

Indeed. I believe getting the ideology right is most important.

It's about the journey, not the destination.

Exactly! And what holds more "unexpected phases" of said journey than the Labyrinth? :P

Very nice article, Demon. 

As for this....

Edited by Chewett, Today, 07:47 PM.
Merged Posts, Please dont doublepost people...

In the past, each and every time I doubleposted, it automatically merged with my first post. I have no idea why it didn't happen now?

And also using what Mur told you and passing them as your ideas (thinking that Mur usually forgets stuff) ? :D

Its really hard to tell here whether you're serious or not but I think you are...

Nope, never, no :). Mur hasn't told me anything except a hint to begin with. I'd actually started a forum conversation with him to discuss the ideology months back but he only gave me the hint, nothing more.

All this was actually written bit by bit over a very long period of time, from conversations with different people and the realizations that came with pondering around :P

P.S: What's up with people saying Mur forgets stuff every now and then? Its insulting imo...

Edited by DARK DEMON

• Root Admin

P.S: What's up with people saying Mur forgets stuff every now and then? Its insulting imo...

Its the truth that he tells people repeatedly both ingame and on the forum. This is why he gets people to help him out as he has forgotten much of what he previously said.

Thank you for this, DD. It must have been hard to share.

No problem. It was a "challenge of sorts" :P

Its the truth that he tells people repeatedly both ingame and on the forum. This is why he gets people to help him out as he has forgotten much of what he previously said.

Okay well... at least in this case, there is no need to worry about anything regarding Mur's memory :)

What I think (despite of the philosophy behind..I don‘t want to go too deep into it, because the post will get too long) the most remarkable feature of every labyrinth is – it requires dedication. Dedication, loyalty and continuity. Once you entered it and made a few steps, you cannot just look back and say that you changed your mind, that it is too tough, too boring, too monotone, too lonely for you or it is not your taste anymore. As soon as you start thinking that – you are in panic and you are lost completely. But if you are stable and constant in what you  do, want, feel, you keep going and going the direction you chose, fulfilling the strategy you chose, making your way with a great deal of patience. You are deaf to those voices in your head that tell you – you picked the wrong way. And when finally you discover that after all you  ended  at the dead end you just make a little remark for yourself and continue over and over again. I think labyrinth like nothing else requires a motto: “Never ever give up”.

So, since you started this topic to be closer to labyrinth citizenship, I would like to ask you: do you think you possess the character traits that allow you to master the labyrinth and if you do not agree with what I wrote before – what do you think is the characteristic trait of a labyrinth citizen or somebody that feels at home in there?

What I think (despite of the philosophy behind..I don‘t want to go too deep into it, because the post will get too long) the most remarkable feature of every labyrinth is – it requires dedication. Dedication, loyalty and continuity. Once you entered it and made a few steps, you cannot just look back and say that you changed your mind, that it is too tough, too boring, too monotone, too lonely for you or it is not your taste anymore. As soon as you start thinking that – you are in panic and you are lost completely. But if you are stable and constant in what you  do, want, feel, you keep going and going the direction you chose, fulfilling the strategy you chose, making your way with a great deal of patience. You are deaf to those voices in your head that tell you – you picked the wrong way. And when finally you discover that after all you  ended  at the dead end you just make a little remark for yourself and continue over and over again. I think labyrinth like nothing else requires a motto: “Never ever give up”.

So, since you started this topic to be closer to labyrinth citizenship, I would like to ask you: do you think you possess the character traits that allow you to master the labyrinth and if you do not agree with what I wrote before – what do you think is the characteristic trait of a labyrinth citizen or somebody that feels at home in there?

I absolutely agree!

I think DD does possess these character traits because he is very adamant/stubborn in his ways and is extremely hard to convince (most people involved in any matter related to DD will know this :).)

Of course, this does not mean that he will always stick to them forever and completely block out others. He will always listen, but whether not he agrees is up to him. If others prove his ways as illogical and suggest better alternatives, then he will definitely consider... but in most cases, it still takes a very long time to convince.

Alright, I also want to add to what you said (regarding the character of a Labyrinth citizen). I think that a Labyrinth citizen is part of no land, yet part of all in some way, which is what DD feels. There are an infinite number of doors one can gain the potential to see in the Labyrinth, and each is a representation of something or the other related to another land.

Another quality is that DD does not rely on others, except very few. This allows him to be way more independent and self-judging, and like you said, dedicated :) (because there are fewer people who can lead him away from his set path)

Edited by DARK DEMON

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I would have chosen that path too if it would have been open.

But now ? How can you even consider feeling home there ?

It is not just smelling bad but really stinks.

Just imagine what is left there :

- garbage from ppl lost there for weeks if not years and the scent of their bodily fluids and such

- rotten corpses or what's left of them (don't think that reviving ppl does require the old bodies)

And on top of it, there is nothing else. No herbs to cover the smell , no rain so that water could clean the place up, no tree to convert the corpses ... nothing.

Just garbage and old corpses or soon-to-be-corpses.

Bleah. Plant some flowers there and I will go there again.

• Root Admin

I absolutely agree!

I think DD does possess these character traits because he is very adamant/stubborn in his ways and is extremely hard to convince (most people involved in any matter related to DD will know this :).)

Of course, this does not mean that he will always stick to them forever and completely block out others. He will always listen, but whether not he agrees is up to him. If others prove his ways as illogical and suggest better alternatives, then he will definitely consider... but in most cases, it still takes a very long time to convince.

Alright, I also want to add to what you said (regarding the character of a Labyrinth citizen). I think that a Labyrinth citizen is part of no land, yet part of all in some way, which is what DD feels. There are an infinite number of doors one can gain the potential to see in the Labyrinth, and each is a representation of something or the other related to another land.

Another quality is that DD does not rely on others, except very few. This allows him to be way more independent and self-judging, and like you said, dedicated :) (because there are fewer people who can lead him away from his set path)

Questions:

And, Before you read them, Im not trying to put you down here DD. Im seriously asking you some questions to further understand you and where you truly belong. 

DD has dedication? Stubbornness is not dedication. I am unsure of what examples I have that you are dedicated. E.g. Accepting to join MB and SoE then refusing it, Reviving LR (CoTS, etc), Staying in LR, constantly telling me you will be leaving, etc. Please further explain here.

Always listen? You sure?

Infinite number of doors? How would you say a labyrinth that is plain, can represent many different lands? I would have said it more accurately represents the void, whereby you can get lost for hours and lose all sense of place, identity and self belonging.

Questions:

And, Before you read them, Im not trying to put you down here DD. Im seriously asking you some questions to further understand you and where you truly belong. 

DD has dedication? Stubbornness is not dedication. I am unsure of what examples I have that you are dedicated. E.g. Accepting to join MB and SoE then refusing it, Reviving LR (CoTS, etc), Staying in LR, constantly telling me you will be leaving, etc. Please further explain here.

Always listen? You sure?

Infinite number of doors? How would you say a labyrinth that is plain, can represent many different lands? I would have said it more accurately represents the void, whereby you can get lost for hours and lose all sense of place, identity and self belonging.

Dedication has a lot to do with stubbornness in a  "not-letting-others-sway you" sense. I never "accepted" to join MB/SoE if I recall correctly, at that time I had felt my emotions played with by both LR and MB, BUT, in the end after all you did to help me and all your offers to mentor me in MB, I still refused and went for GotR. The fact that I was happy or not is a different matter.

Joining LR at that time is also very different from making the Labyrinth my home because this is a land that has no people. People have always been the problem; people expect you to behave and act in certain ways and shun you out when you don't. They won't accept you for who you are and don't want variety in their lands/alliances, they just want everyone who learns to think exactly the same way. On the other hand, DD wants to be a free man and the last thing he would do is give up the way he thinks for people who although may accept him as a community, don't really trust/support him. In my first year in LR I did not speak to you about leaving; I was trying to fit in. In the last month or two, yes, I told you I was unhappy in LR, and the reason for being so was solely because none of the lands offered me or called to me the way the Labyrinth did. And besides, that "old DD" as you yourself told me was way different than now. Now all he wants is no restrictions from people and in that sense, has found the Labyrinth to be just paradise ^_^

Yes, I always listen. I have never ever refused to talk to anyone and leave out what they've been trying to say. But, like I always told you too, whether or not to agree and change myself because of such suggestions is always up to me and me alone. Of course, some people have a higher chance of convincing me because they know me/care for me, and such people have my eternal thanks for taking the time out. These people are in all lands, scattered. In that sense, DD feels slightly part of every land as well.

Physically indeed you can link the Labyrinth with the Void, and this opens up a whole new idea for me to ponder on :D. I shall probably write another post regarding this or edit the first one sometime later. But again, in my opinion, in a non-physical sense... (hard to explain in words and this might not appear to be -exactly- what I have in mind but...) well, being alone in such a place with no person to restrict you allows you to truly show your true colors and potential; something that you didn't realize/reveal before, rather than losing all such sense of identity.

All in all (and I want to thank Change for helping DD realize this), the Labyrinth was always a "constant" when he couldn't decide which land he belonged to. He loved ideas of light, darkness, knowledge, and loved being independent etc, but in an entirely different way from MB, Necro, LR and GG. It is truly impossible for him too choose any of these lands because he'd always feel a pull (no matter how small) towards another at the same time. In the Labyrinth, there is no such case. He finds peace and comfort from it, and feels he can find himself rather than becoming lost. That, I believe, is the greatest success one can achieve from the Labyrinth really. Finding yourself.

Or is it because of the nice loyalty?

No.

Or because you can call yourself "King of Lanyrinth" ?

No.

But this is something I will elaborate a little.

DD always has a selfish desire to be different/unique from anyone else in some way or the other, and he realized that the Labyrinth can fulfill this wish of him too by making him the only one (who's still alive) with Labyrinth loyalty :). This is also one of the reasons he decided not to go for East (other people suggested East/GG but again, DD doesn't rely on most people and makes all decisions on his own).

Edited by DARK DEMON

I don't agree dst, don't think it is about loyalty. What should Labyrinth loyalty bring? It is about being unique, similar to Fangs mp7, I guess. Being unique in some way or other makes us feel special and irreplaceable. That is why people do that.

Basically one can do research on Labyrinth (or any other kind of thing..sitting at the Bob or Awiyyas way, keeping the Garden going or whatever) and be interested in it without "getting anything" from it. I think this was also the initial idea - people just DO things for a long time and then they become "merged" with those things so much that you cannot imagine them without. Then and only then they get tags and roles and citizenships. This is the way I see it - if DD really shows loyalty to Labyrinth in all possible ways - promoting such topics on forum, organizing labyrinth festivals and quests ingame, inviting people to go through it, partying in there, staying there or around there all the time...and he shows a continuity and loyalty in this (for how long? year? or 2? depends on intensity, I guess), I see no reason why not to grant him this citizenship. But this not should be a matter of a single forum post or 1 page of ramblings even very carefully made.

EDIT> did't see DDs post about being unique before :P

Edited by Eara Meraia

• Root Admin

I don't agree dst, don't think it is about loyalty. What should Labyrinth loyalty bring? It is about being unique, similar to Fangs mp7, I guess. Being unique in some way or other makes us feel special and irreplaceable. That is why people do that.

Basically one can do research on Labyrinth (or any other kind of thing..sitting at the Bob or Awiyyas way, keeping the Garden going or whatever) and be interested in it without "getting anything" from it. I think this was also the initial idea - people just DO things for a long time and then they become "merged" with those things so much that you cannot imagine them without. Then and only then they get tags and roles and citizenships. This is the way I see it - if DD really shows loyalty to Labyrinth in all possible ways - promoting such topics on forum, organizing labyrinth festivals and quests ingame, inviting people to go through it, partying in there, staying there or around there all the time...and he shows a continuity and loyalty in this (for how long? year? or 2? depends on intensity, I guess), I see no reason why not to grant him this citizenship. But this not should be a matter of a single forum post or 1 page of ramblings even very carefully made.

In true MD fashion of "Acting your role before you get it" I hope to see DD in the lab being secluded and acting as a true citizen would. Sadly this probably means we wont see him much/at all.

Yes, I edited it just a few seconds before you posted this :))

And I'm so glad you understand, you just said exactly what I wanted in the best possible words :D I won't just stop here! Some people already know that I am planning to organize a Labyrinth challenge and similar events! This whole topic is the presentation of ideology and meant to be discussed with the community for all the valuable input you may have. :)

In true MD fashion of "Acting your role before you get it" I hope to see DD in the lab being secluded and acting as a true citizen would. Sadly this probably means we wont see him much/at all.

Well no, that's not at all what I'll be doing. As stated above, there's gonna be events and such, and I'll be interacting with ALL lands for ideas and compiling them together to further "find myself", because the Laby has doors to all lands after all :)

EDIT: My entire character is not just based on this; its just citizenship really I'm hoping for, not the Secluded King of Labyrinth role which I think people are seeing this as. DD is still very much interested in the Void and Taint (there are people who see me rp-ping regarding these and they know) and the exact part he plays is one that cannot be shared with anyone else, hence making Labyrinth "loneliness" all the more perfect for him.

Edited by DARK DEMON

• Root Admin

EDIT: My entire character is not just based on this; its just citizenship really I'm hoping for, not the Secluded King of Labyrinth role which I think people are seeing this as. DD is still very much interested in the Void and Taint (there are people who see me rp-ping regarding these and they know) and the exact part he plays is one that cannot be shared with anyone else, hence making Labyrinth "loneliness" all the more perfect for him.

People "Just wanting east citizenship" is the reason why many people are denied into east lands FYI. I dont think thats a good reason to be honest. Especially if you are saying that you are not basing your entire character (Are you basing any of it?) on joining the lab.

I wish you luck, but wont be supporting you. You only seem to want to claim to be truly free by becoming a Lab citizen, when you are free as a no mans land one too.

Dark Demon, I see just one issue with your "request": you and DD are not one. You try to plan DD as for a chess game.

I'd suggest you to be DD not just to play DD from time to time.

Otherwise ... I'd like to see how this new DD would be look like / act .

Most of the time when I say "I" here I'm referring to DD speaking really... why are you deliberately trying to destroy the topic here by confusing everything up?

People "Just wanting east citizenship" is the reason why many people are denied into east lands FYI. I dont think thats a good reason to be honest. Especially if you are saying that you are not basing your entire character (Are you basing any of it?) on joining the lab.

I wish you luck, but wont be supporting you. You only seem to want to claim to be truly free by becoming a Lab citizen, when you are free as a no mans land one too.

Have you even read the entire topic before assuming I just want to be a Labyrinth citizen "just because"? :( Also, I didn't start this topic begging for support. I posted an ideology and am going to follow it and become one with the Labyrinth whether the entire realm likes it or not.

Its a land that calls to me in every possible way, and makes me happy. No Man's Land is not so, otherwise I have no reason to start all this would I?

Edited by DARK DEMON