Announcement 3543 - English Only

I am Bored

In Announcement 3543, it was announced that the languages other than English have been disabled in the game. This however prevents access to a large amount of content that has been translated, or where significant differences between the original version of the text, and the English text exist.

Let's take the Romanian poem text for instance. It is done largely independently, and has a large number of places where the English and Romanian versions are completely different. I'm unsure if the the poem text was translated from Romanian, or from English. I do know most of the German poem text was translated from the English version.

Next up, is the Inner Spell Documents and Principles. Both of these were originally written in Romanian, and as I believe has been said in the past, there are many subtle pieces in the Romanian versions that simply don't translate cleanly to English. 

I propose that, at the very least, the Romanian version be re-enabled.

• Root Admin

Note I have said that I will be removing all languages but english for a long long time now, and this has never been raised. Since the removal was done because you were using bugs to obtain internal information I would be interested to know if others actually care about the change.

If there are issues with translation to english, then these should be worked on, we dont have time to maintain two copies and since I do not speak romanian, english is the only solution.

Edited by Chewett

If I remember correctly, the other translations fall back to English if the target language doesn't have the requested value defined. If it doesn't, then I propose that such a mechanism be implemented to allow the pieces that have been translated into other languages to still be viewed.

Also, I wasn't using the bug; I asked if I could use the bug to retrieve what information I could about the structure of the equipment system, allowing me to better phrase and direct the questions that I'll have when I start documenting the system for project Legacy. (All of this assumes that I do get the equipment system assigned to me, if not, then I won't start writing it up)

Th either languages are just temporary disabled during this update process in order to keep the transition running smoothly for actual effects vs. the translation could be incorrect. English is the dominate language of MD players so this allows the game to still run. Later on there may be room for translation but from a coders point of view this makes things easier.

Th either languages are just temporary disabled during this update process in order to ...

And you are .... ?

It seems that in the announcement it was clear and Chewett stated it again :

Note I have said that I will be removing all languages but english for a long long time now, .... Since the removal was done because ...

So, as it is plain english, we should read what is wrote : it was removed.

I agree it is a dumb choice / choice of words but thats what was said.

Anway, I agree with IaB, it should have not been removed.

Also, the original texts / manuscripts should be kept disregarding the language they are written in or the later updates / corrections. I will not even try to tell you the difference between an original and a copy / translation.

• Root Admin

I agree it is a dumb choice / choice of words but thats what was said.

Anway, I agree with IaB, it should have not been removed.

Also, the original texts / manuscripts should be kept disregarding the language they are written in or the later updates / corrections. I will not even try to tell you the difference between an original and a copy / translation.

By removed, I meant the ability to access the translations has been removed. I have reworded the announcement to use disabled to clarify the situation.

If I remember correctly, the other translations fall back to English if the target language doesn't have the requested value defined. If it doesn't, then I propose that such a mechanism be implemented to allow the pieces that have been translated into other languages to still be viewed.

No actually, for the majority of parts english is copied over to all languages and then you need to modify every single other language when the english changes. Since most translators didnt have access to all languages when english changed none of the other ones did.

No actually, for the majority of parts english is copied over to all languages and then you need to modify every single other language when the english changes. Since most translators didnt have access to all languages when english changed none of the other ones did.

Ekk, that's not nice at all :(

To implement the fallback, assuming my minimal idea of how the translation mechanism works is correct, I propose simply selecting both the English column and the column for the specific language, and fall back to the English column on the PHP side if the language's column is empty. De-duplication should also be pretty easy, as a set of simple `UPDATE translation_table SET ro='' WHERE ro=en` (no idea what the actual column or table names are) queries should do the trick.

Ekk, that's not nice at all :(

To implement the fallback, assuming my minimal idea of how the translation mechanism works is correct, I propose simply selecting both the English column and the column for the specific language, and fall back to the English column on the PHP side if the language's column is empty. De-duplication should also be pretty easy, as a set of simple `UPDATE translation_table SET ro='' WHERE ro=en` (no idea what the actual column or table names are) queries should do the trick.

That's a cute update there; you're actually proposing to erase all translation without a simple check.

It is easier to mark smth as a valid translation then to translate it all again.

Also, you're forgetting the "originals" which might have been in Romanian (or any other language then English).

Assuming I'm not just as tired now as when I posted that, it makes sense. The intent of the query is to set the translations to empty where the romanian version matches the english version, to allow the english version to be updated freely without the other languages getting left behind.

• 4 years later...