The good, the bad, and the MD

Chewett

• Root Admin

As christmas celebrations are drawing to a close with many quests finishing off, I create this topic to ask you what you thought of this years events.

This year I organised christmas differently by adding the overarching christmas points and a better reward scheme for questmakers. I also personally contacted each and every questmaker, helped organise rewards and a variety of other tasks.

Along with my questmaking helpers and other various friends we have managed, in my opinion, one of the best christmas celebrations in the last couple years.

But here I open the floor to any and all opinions, good and bad, of the festival and what you feel could be done to improve next year. I have a couple comments myself which I will post in a little while. All feedback will also help those preparing the MD birthday in a few months time.

Overall a great success.

Small suggestion: Make confused santa visible in chat and/or post on the mood panel when awake please ^_^  

And a question: why is the recently introduced tradition of awarding achievements of participation abandoned this Christmas?

• Root Admin

Overall a great success.

Small suggestion: Make confused santa visible in chat and/or post on the mood panel when awake please ^_^  

And a question: why is the recently introduced tradition of awarding achievements of participation abandoned this Christmas?

He posted in global chat each time he was around. I think the "problem" was that some people just idled at GOE expecting to wake up and see him. Wheras actually he moved around a lot this year (much better) to only let those active get it. I assume you missed these rather green messages?

the achievements hasnt been abandoned. Everyone that gets a christmas point gets one.

I'd say Christmas turned out pretty (darned) well; there were a whole bunch of quests, most were accessible to the majority of the population, organisation went decently (with a few hiccups here and there).

I actually liked how Confused Santa was... quite confused and wandered around and actually prompted people to be active rather than just reward all who were idle. Maybe that should be signaled clearly next year, such as "Don't idle around or Santa might not reward you!", to avoid potential issues with people saying they missed Santa when in fact they didn't know they were supposed to look for him.

But looking for things that didn't go well... I'd say I would be nitpicking if I were to try and point anything out. Strictly concerning myself, any impediments I encountered were because of myself (lack of experience, mood, etc). I don't think I ran into any problem that involved "higher organisation".

Seriously, overall amazing job! 

I actually liked how Confused Santa was... quite confused and wandered around and actually prompted people to be active rather than just reward all who were idle. Maybe that should be signaled clearly next year, such as "Don't idle around or Santa might not reward you!", to avoid potential issues with people saying they missed Santa when in fact they didn't know they were supposed to look for him.

I must say I disagree. Many people are/were quite busy or visiting others on those 3 days of Christmas rather than sitting on MD all day. It is wrong to expect someone to be online for a long period of time or at specific times waiting or looking for santa, in my opinion. From what I saw, santa was gifting people based on "if they were a good boy this year", and it isn't exactly fair if some of these people couldn't catch santa due to their busy RL schedule. Everybody deserves to be happy at Christmas.

Edited by DARK DEMON

This was one of the first Christmas's I can remember where I had fun.  I have 2 kids, a grandson, a business, a demanding wife, and always seeking education.  I had no problem running into Santa during all my busy time, so I don't think it was that hard to get in contact with him unless you were on a vacation those days.  If you took the time to write Santa your letter I assume you had time to get them from Santa.  Like others said, it was nice to have to go look for him instead of just sleeping idle at the GoE demanding presents without even any interaction.  It was one thing I always kinda didn't like about Murmas.  You would see TONS of old friends and people that didn't play anymore log on for a few hours during Christmas to get their gifts and then gone again.\

The tree rewards were still good, so people still got rewards for nothing, but to get the extra you had to put in a little extra.  I know it took Chew a lot of his holiday time trying to make this Christmas very nice for people.  These extra events at Christmas were a nice way of not only seeing who's still active, but who cares to put forth effort.

It certainly was great, even though I was busy during most of it. :)

I liked the letter thing, but I guess my only suggestion for next time would be to make it clearer that you needed to send a letter to get something from Santa. I thought it was just if you wanted something specific, vs. random, and I didn't find out the letter was needed until Santa was giving out presents and it was too late to make one.

Thanks for all the hard work, everyone!

• Root Admin

I liked the letter thing, but I guess my only suggestion for next time would be to make it clearer that you needed to send a letter to get something from Santa. I thought it was just if you wanted something specific, vs. random, and I didn't find out the letter was needed until Santa was giving out presents and it was too late to make one.

It wasnt needed.

Overall I thought Christmas was done well this year. There were lots of people putting out multiple types of quests or events both for in game as well as out of game - which is the important part. There are clicky quests, picture ones, writing contests, brain games, and even an RP event happening soon which is a much bigger spread than previous events have had. I ended up not participating in most of them but they were available and the people who did want to do them had the opportunity. People with different tastes in how to have fun were given opportunities to do the special things that they liked instead of having to deal with what was sharing. The only thing I would have liked to have seen more of would have been more small events that were repeated across multiple time zones.

I have no real opinion on how the Christmas Points will be dealt with since I participated in quests for the sake of doing what I thought I was going to like and what I had the time and attention for. Last year I oodles of Christmas stuff for the potential to win a tag but found I had done a bunch of things I didn't consider fun and in the end didn’t get what I wanted out of it anyway. This year I had a lot going on and wasn’t going to make myself sick trying to do everything everywhere whether I liked it or not like I've tried in the past. The holidays are about enjoying yourself so that’s what I did.  If I got enough points in the end to do what I want then yay for me. Otherwise, I only did the stuff I wanted to do and still yay for me.

I was able to go to the different places to talk to Somewhat Confused Santa but missed interacting with him so I have no idea how things were when you had to interact with him instead of jumping in line and waiting your turn to say "hi and thank you for the creature".

Thank you Chewett for promoting the quests that were going on in game through the announcements and thank you Kyphis for keeping a guide of what was happening all together on the forum

I will also agree with the majority above.    While I did not get to interact directly with Confused Sant,a I saw him talk with a few folks, and seemed like a jolly old Elf, and did appreciate the "wandering" nature he had this year.

As for overall, the Christmas Points were a nice addition to "bribe" some extra level of interaction from some folks, but not heavy-handed about it.

Plenty of quests, from clickies, to RP, to arts, to duels.  Good mix of "whatever you wanted to do, you could find", I felt.  

And yes, the Tree gave its usual freebies.  I consider them Gifts anways, since you need to login to get them, so don't discount them as trivial.

Well done, I know there was a LOT of behind the scenes work.  Kudos to you all for doing what you did!