Handling new players

Ungod

I've been cooking an idea about a way to handle new players for some time. Free exploration is fine, but maybe something can be added to make the immersion into the realm easier?

The idea is simple, and it's about tasks. Not quests, just selfish wishes veterans have, and that can be fulfilled by new players. "Using noobs" is a way to put it, but I like to look at it as "cooperation for mutual benefits". For example, I may want to send a messenger to a mainland, but I'm at odds with the queen/king. A neutral party might help. Or maybe I want to collect a memory stone, but I'm too lazy to move *cough* *cough* Hi, Mag0

This can be done without a system, but creating one would be a boost to the initial interaction with the world. (no?)

What I mean by system: vets can issue tasks to new players (a vet = over a certain number of ADs)

a new player will not be able to receive tasks after he/she has a number of AD; the exact days needed should be calculated with a formula taking into account the vet's AD and the noob's AD

players will get some points as reward from vets that can be changed into some minor spellstones, tea or other things, by the TKs

(or special items, temporary - like a paintball gun item that creates stuff like "player X the White]", "[player Z the Green]" when shot)

these points should be 'generated' by vets in some way, taking their AD into account...I don't know how, but there should be a limit to them (a maximum limit of points a veteran can give a new player, also a maximum limit per week/month a vet can have)

I guess such a system would be interesting for a few weeks only for a new player, but who knows. Do you think it could work?

In a way, I like the concept. I wouldn't automate it too much,because that might restrict the tasks that can be given and I think there is much more of a "wow" factor to realising an old/powerful player can actually make stuff happen in-game, rather than viewing the progression through MD as purely mechanical.

Maybe a role would be best for this, with a few tools? Or a function, like LHO, that old players can apply for.

I think @Assira the Black was running a similar thing, with heat stones as rewards, among other things.

I would automate the points generation and giving away only, because the tasks would be all-you-can-imagine :))

A role, huh...I wouldn't want that PWR to intervene too much into the whole deal, though. For example, I would scout the PC for somebody new, then send a message with "Hi, I am Ungod, welcome to MD bla bla blah. I would like your assistance with something. You can gain some interesting stuff in the process." And then, if she or he agrees, make her/him recruit 12 birds and age them to sacc for fenths after 7 days...and give those points myself.

I really like this idea, and I want to see it developed further, whether it receives official support or not.

I like Aeoshattr's idea of this being a function of the LHO or a similar group. That wouldn't prevent others from creating small quests for new players, but it does create some accountability for (and organization among) those who would be able to give out points. And this group could enlist the help of others (generating mini-quest ideas, or helping out enacting those mini-quests).

For reference, here's @Assira the Black's initiative is called the Masks of the Mist Booth, and there's some info on the topic linked below and in her personal papers at http://magicduel.com/players/Assira_the_Black

@Aethon also had a similar initiative:

Both are good resources for further ideas on how to implement @Ungod's idea.

It's true there's plenty of ways to transfer value, but this is not about transferring value. You see, most of the time "new players" are alts, so people don't even bother talking to them. With this system, you'd be more inclined to speak to someone at PC (tho you'll be wary), because it's something you want done and the system allows you to, in a pretty straightforward and official way.

Edit: re-read the comments, I'm not sure we're on the same track here, I didn't speak of mini-quests for noobs, I spoke of personal tasks that are your own selfish wishes. This is not to help the noobs, this is to help US, the older players.

But, ok, let's see if you can spin the idea in a workable fashion. I repeat, WE need a change in attitude, new players simply react to us.

Edited by Ungod

13 hours ago, Ungod said:

I didn't speak of mini-quests for noobs, I spoke of personal tasks that are your own selfish wishes.

I think the idea of personal tasks is at odds with a points system. If the tasks benefit the task-giver then there should be a transfer of value.

And there _is_ a transfer of value. What I meant when I said this isn't about transferring value, is that it's not the value transfer that's important. 

The value here is those points, generated with a formula taking into account AD, and redeemable later on (I thought of) with the TKs.

I think it is a good idea and support this. The booth is on hold until I have more time to put forth towards it. This time of year is a busy one and it take preparation to impliment. One of the problems with a task system with living people is that at the moment, the over all population is low in MD. It is hard to give out tasks or turn in tasks with the time differences and varying in population. A task system/ quest system needs a stable foundation and people to participate. At the moment with rl, I am not able to provide the stable/solid foundation. This applies to any who wish to take this up. For if it takes days/weeks to hear back from someone on a quest question or to received the reward or next task... then people lose interest. But giving generic tasks or quests... where nothing outside of material goods is gained then... the quest is hollow. It is busy work that may not add to the value of the game. These were all things I was trying to find away around and wanted to share these foresight. 

Edited by Assira the Black

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Did Mur ever talk to you guys (aka someone other than me) about the new planned tutorial mode?

This idea sums it up relatively well in actuality.

Im wondering if this is an expansion of our plans, or if people came to a similar but different idea to ours?

I don't know about others, but my initial post with the 'system' was inspired by the way my favorite game (Gothic) handled the player. You entered the Old Camp and there were people asking you to do stuff for them; Whistler, for example, asked you to buy a sword from Fisk, because they got into an argument and now he wouldn't sell it to him.

The way I see it, I didn't convey my ideas that well, since people keep taking the selfishness out of the equation, which, in my opinion, is crucial.

• Root Admin

To sum up the idea quickly.

Each day you can get one "thing" which is determined by how many days you have previously got your thing. This thing is given by a player using a spell for doing something for them, then the spell gives the player their reward. LHO's or mp6's might have this thing giver  and would be giving out the tasks.

As time goes on rarer things would be given out.

Sort of... what I'd like about it, if it's implemented, is for the spell to be available to more people than just LHOs and MP6. Reason is, new players might be liking the taks from a certain someone from a certain land and thus they might naturally be shifting to Marind Bell, for example.

So, having a few vets from each land, giving very personal tasks, usually related to their own land, is a good idea, I think.

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, Ungod said:

Sort of... what I'd like about it, if it's implemented, is for the spell to be available to more people than just LHOs and MP6. Reason is, new players might be liking the taks from a certain someone from a certain land and thus they might naturally be shifting to Marind Bell, for example.

So, having a few vets from each land, giving very personal tasks, usually related to their own land, is a good idea, I think.

I think that is fair. It is planned to distribute it to the mainlands.