Of MindPowers and their Transitions

Hello all!

@Ungod and I have had several discussions of late concerning role-play and how one makes changes to their role/tag/self within MagicDuel itself.

(For reference you can look at this topic to see what I mean. I think everyone should read part of this log as it is informative and is the breeding ground for the discussion that follows in this post)

Spoiler

Following the linked above discussion I remembered something from back in '07 when I first played. It was a rare occurrence then, but it was largely done by the more-hardcore Role-players. It was utilized as a way for a player to use RP to give reality to the fact they were ascending (some big trial, some big realization, some world-shifting phenomenon when they only needed like 5 more fights, or perhaps were already ready to ascend). So I made my own party to create the vibe that my ascension is not predicated upon me using the game to make it real, but on the players around me recognizing that I am ready to move up.

All that to say, Ungod had an amazing suggestion. What if there was a hidden clickie in the world of MD that only appeared if a player had 90%(or more) of wins and/or 90% (or more) of the needed to move up a MindPower (for both MP4 and MP5-could even be done if you have 9 or more adepts for MP6 imho). Once you met the criteria, this hidden clickie would then become visible to you, just to you. When you clicked this clickie, it would have a message about how you were close to ascending.

You could choose if you wanted the world to know about it or not. If you clicked that you DID NOT,nothing would happen. If you clicked that you DID want something to happen then the clickie would change that scene (haven't thought of a way to turn it off yet) so EVERYONE could see it.
Imagine this:

I'm Advisor, walking along at MP4, I've been capped at xp for 2 months, but still need 50 fights. I get 30 more fights. All-of-a-sudden as I'm walking to go to LoreRoot I notice that there are flower stalks (in B/W) in the community garden. Strange, those weren't there before! I hover my mouse over them to see if I can use them (If I'm on mobile well then I guess just tap away on the screen until something happens). They light-up orange! Strange, clickie don't normally 'randomly' appear! So I click them. A MD dialog box pops up telling me that I am close to being able to move up a MindPower. Would I like to have the rest of the world know? 'Yes' or 'No'.

Obviously, I click YES, because DUH. I am really proud of myself that I made it this far in the game. I feel kind of intimidated by talking to people who know each other really well, but I want to branch out. When I click yes. The flowers in the community garden bloom, not just in artwork, but in COLOR. Not only that, other players can now see the bloomed flowers (they couldn't see the stalks). When players click on the bloomed flowers they now create the message "Advisor (and anyone else who has clicked the flowers in same time frame) is ready to ascend! You should go and congratulate them!" 

Spoiler

The community garden then becomes one of the most unique scenes in MD. As it would have COLOR. It would make a huge achievement in a player's time on MD come to life, and be shared with the entirety of the realm. It would validate the effort they have given to the realm. The game would be automatically (no we were not thinking of having the wookie or anyone else personally code this to happen for each person, but if it was a game-wide mechanic) recognizing that success, giving them the dopamine they deserve for such a dedication.

The location is not solidified (another idea was the PC balcony with balloons in color).

However, this idea could shape the significance of moving up a mindpower. Per the discussion in the other link, things become "real" when either game mechanics support them or players' beliefs support them. MP is such a huge thing that the game has supported it from almost the beginning. Let's find a way for a player to KNOW, because the game basically TELLS them so through a clickie that they are ready to ascend.

*Note: I also think that once players realize that the flowers are blooming because of them, it will foster a desire to utilize RP in that moment, which is something I believe is one of MD's greatest strengths.

Please comment away. This would require of some coding to generate the if-then statements for the thresholds as well as some other particulars that I don't know enough to explain. However, this is a truly fantastic idea (in my opinion) I am merely writing it up for Ungod. :)

Edited by Steno

I'll just write why I think this is great to have in MD - it's because it goes along the idea of achievements. While those are some shiny things to unlock and have on your page, an ascension ceremony/party would be a lively thing. People would come and send a congrats or state the obvious 'aha, a new target'.

Basically, the coding part shouldn't be too hard - it's just about a hidden clickable that depicts some decorations, becoming visible when activated by an mp3/mp4/mp5 close to cap.

6 hours ago, Ungod said:

I think I've heard this idea before...I begin to see cycles in MD

anyways, this was about a party more than an announcement for all to see

parties need announcements, bob could be the location :)

Does bob not already have a separate reason that he blooms? (don't need explanation as I don't want spoilers-just simple dismissal or agreement.

If bob is not coded to have other reasons to bloom, then that might work, as new art would not need to be created.

I believe this to be one of the 'not really interested, if it is implemented, I'll check it out' ideas.

Then, in order to have some meat on the bones, if you are slightly in favor for something like this, please write here what kind of effect you'd like to see in the selected scene.

Would you like the scene to get some music just for the event, or maybe some spell to be activated on all participants, maybe it could snow etc

• Root Admin
On 5/8/2020 at 10:11 PM, Steno said:

Does bob not already have a separate reason that he blooms? (don't need explanation as I don't want spoilers-just simple dismissal or agreement.

If bob is not coded to have other reasons to bloom, then that might work, as new art would not need to be created.

Bob cannot currently bloom after the new interface changes.

6 hours ago, Chewett said:

Bob cannot currently bloom after the new interface changes.

This may be fixed, if one may provide myself with an image of Bob in bloom, or at least with a detailed description of Bob's appearance when it should do so.

• Root Admin
3 hours ago, Aia del Mana said:

This may be fixed, if one may provide myself with an image of Bob in bloom, or at least with a detailed description of Bob's appearance when it should do so.

Bobs blooming was animated so currently we cant achieve that (unless something has changed since). IMO I would be inclined to add new functionality into A25 for this and not rush it.

6 hours ago, Chewett said:

Bobs blooming was animated so currently we cant achieve that (unless something has changed since). IMO I would be inclined to add new functionality into A25 for this and not rush it.

Ah, I had not known of its animation; when such functionality may return, I believe the House of Liquid Dust would also require restoration.