Goodbye Magicduel

It's not the risk that I'm worried about. Will I get pulped by attacking an RPC? Most likely. But damn me if I have to just sit around and watch people beat me to a pulp without retaliating

Edit: Bad grammar! Should have been "have to" instead of "can". Whoops

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't seem fair that RPCs can go around attacking people and they can't even retaliate. When is Manu or Shoeps going to start placing the RPC avatars in certain locations like he did Wodin Ullr? The game world is pretty empty right now adding a few RPC characters around would add to the scenery :)

It doesn't seem fair that RPCs can go around attacking people and they can't even retaliate. When is Manu or Shoeps going to start placing the RPC avatars in certain locations like he did Wodin Ullr? The game world is pretty empty right now adding a few RPC characters around would add to the scenery :)

I think ur idea of adding RPC avatars to certain locations is a great idea. For me personally the game has gotten so boring, nothing changes apart from the Adventure Log. Please implement something new.

For me personally the game has gotten so boring, nothing changes apart from the Adventure Log. Please implement something new.

You might consider taking it upon yourself to add to the story. Start a guild of your own. Be a villain, or a martyr. Make enemies. Start a rumor. Tell lies. Say things you wish were true, and see if anybody else wishes the same thing. Do something interesting. The game's in alpha. It's up to us, as players, to bring something to the table.

If you're interesting enough, people will take notice of you and the devs will catch up when they can.

You might consider taking it upon yourself to add to the story. Start a guild of your own. Be a villain, or a martyr. Make enemies. Start a rumor. Tell lies. Say things you wish were true, and see if anybody else wishes the same thing. Do something interesting. The game's in alpha. It's up to us, as players, to bring something to the table.

If you're interesting enough, people will take notice of you and the devs will catch up when they can.

Lucius Tarquinus is absolutely correct. As I learned in my first 30 days in the game, it is not all that hard to inject yourself into the story and or do something that has lasting consequences. Not everyone desires influence the game, but I suspect most would be absolutely thrilled if they showed up in the adventure log or knew that one day others would read about them in the archives. We archivists are paying attention and the contents of all those books are being written.

For me, Calyx of Isis is a living, breathing woman trying to come to grips with a world she doesn't understand. I enjoy role play and writing, so I have invested a lot of energy in her and other people who enjoy the role play.

As i have replied once before to another thread, why should i have to. If u want to actively play a role in this game, then that is your choice, why should it be forced on me, to able to enjoy this game. From the start of the game i understood that my choices in Story Mode would affect my gameplay in the game. At the moment, because i am not an active alliance member or running around character role playing, i must be a cow. After all this game does need farming of win/losses, so i must be in the paddock....fodder for the masses lol The game was supposedly set up for the enjoyment of all, sorry I must have missed the fine print of where it said if only u do this, this, and this.

All i am trying to say is that remember not everyone is actively wanting to be part of the alliance/guilds/adventure logs, but travelling their own path at the moment, so something new would be great.

At the moment, because i am not an active alliance member or running around character role playing, i must be a cow. After all this game does need farming of win/losses, so i must be in the paddock....fodder for the masses lol

Hey doll, keep this up and I'll have to get out my ropes and whips and fight you for bottom! I don't see you in the way your portray yourself, so please stop. Ok, I know you're joking, at least a bit, but still I cannot imagine you a cow in a paddock.

All i am trying to say is that remember not everyone is actively wanting to be part of the alliance/guilds/adventure logs, but traveling their own path at the moment, so something new would be great.

Well, you're right in a way. I began to get bored with the unchanging scenery by the third day, and getting to MP4 and finding I could access less than I could as an MP3 was truly disappointing. Yes, I would like to see new stuff being added, but this game requires patience.

On the other hand... I have a vast interior space in my head that is far richer and is inhabited by wonderful and interesting people -- including fascinating you -- and that's where I play. I've come to realize that Manu watches everything and farms our chats, actions, and posts for ideas that flesh out his vague framework, and lots of things get in this game that did not originate with him.

The game is in Alpha test, not even beta test. While I really want to see more, faster, I am content that we are all cocreators of the game. Most of the time I just want to travel, do my stuff, and follow my own path, just like you. But every once in a while I find I need to exert myself a little to change the scenery for others, as well as myself. It's just the way I'm built and we are each unique and deal with the tedium differently.

new player speaking

i would like to add to this that i have absolutely no problem with a much stronger RPC than me attacking me to actually help me out, if its for personal gain i do have a problem with it however, but if he can help me to become a better player by beating me once or twice i have no probs with it

its way better than a much stronger player who just crushes me like a fly under his boot and rushses on to the next one and does it to him as well

and i actually think that the "quiz idea" or something similar is a good idea RJ there is a need for something to mark that there is a change in the game in my opinion

As i have replied once before to another thread, why should i have to. If u want to actively play a role in this game, then that is your choice, why should it be forced on me, to able to enjoy this game. From the start of the game i understood that my choices in Story Mode would affect my gameplay in the game.

You make it difficult to sympathize with you. "Here I am! Entertain me" is not a persuasive stance. You ask, "why should I have to bring something to the game," and you are apparently satisfied with having no obligation to provide entertainment for anyone else, to make the gameplay or story richer.

I don't belong to an alliance and probably never will. If you think the game is all about alliances and the adventure log, I feel sorry for you - these things are almost wholly irrelevant to my character. If you are a cow, you have chosen to be: and then you say it is not much fun.

You make it difficult to sympathize with you. "Here I am! Entertain me" is not a persuasive stance. You ask, "why should I have to bring something to the game," and you are apparently satisfied with having no obligation to provide entertainment for anyone else, to make the gameplay or story richer.

I don't belong to an alliance and probably never will. If you think the game is all about alliances and the adventure log, I feel sorry for you - these things are almost wholly irrelevant to my character. If you are a cow, you have chosen to be: and then you say it is not much fun.

Ummmm where did i state that i wanted ur sympathy. I am not standing here, saying 'Entertain me'. You stated "You might consider taking it upon yourself to add to the story. Start a guild of your own. Be a villain, or a martyr. Make enemies. Start a rumor. Tell lies. Say things you wish were true, and see if anybody else wishes the same thing. Do something interesting. The game's in alpha. It's up to us, as players, to bring something to the table" and I have stated, why should I have to. There is nothing wrong with me making this statement, how u have chosen to interpret it, is ur choice. The conversation that i was replying to was "placing the RPC avatars in certain locations like he did Wodin Ullr? The game world is pretty empty right now adding a few RPC characters around would add to the scenery ". So obviously i am not the only one who feels that something new would be nice.

And u have no idea of what i do or don't contribute to this game so that comment really made sense. A person does not have to be running around with their minions, character role playing to add anything worthwhile to this game'. I enjoy this game immensely hence i am on every day since i joined, but as i have previously stated, at this stage i am not interested in running around character roleplaying or joining any of the alliances until i know where my character in the story is going. If something interests me, i respond or ask a question hence my trolling of the forums. And as some people who have been playing this game for a long time, have a request of me, i am more than happy to oblige.

And my last comeback to u is.....MOOOOOOOOOOOO

smartalekrj, I'm sorry but I think your assumptions are a little off. In fact perhaps maturity would be a better way to differentiate the MP levels, which based on your last post might mean that you would be 'demoted'. Of course it is only a game, but if for every one of the 'positive' responses you recieve is matched with a negative story then obviously your technique needs to be reviewed. Rather that having an RPC go around randomly 'bullying' other players, I would have thought that checking some of a players fight logs would be a more accurate way of 'policing' the MP levels.

Just my tuppence worth.

ScotinBelgie

i dont bully for one. i go by balance when attacking. number 2 i can't check my own fight logs after the fight is over never mind checking someone else's. You seem to think i have imaginary powers of being able to surf through peoples account, in which case if i did i would just check theirs creatures instead of checking fight logs. And this topic has obviously dragged out more than it should have, hence the joke.

Ummmm where did i state that i wanted ur sympathy. I am not standing here, saying 'Entertain me'. You stated "You might consider taking it upon yourself to add to the story. Start a guild of your own. Be a villain, or a martyr. Make enemies. Start a rumor. Tell lies. Say things you wish were true, and see if anybody else wishes the same thing. Do something interesting. The game's in alpha. It's up to us, as players, to bring something to the table" and I have stated, why should I have to. There is nothing wrong with me making this statement, how u have chosen to interpret it, is ur choice. The conversation that i was replying to was "placing the RPC avatars in certain locations like he did Wodin Ullr? The game world is pretty empty right now adding a few RPC characters around would add to the scenery ". So obviously i am not the only one who feels that something new would be nice.

And u have no idea of what i do or don't contribute to this game so that comment really made sense. A person does not have to be running around with their minions, character role playing to add anything worthwhile to this game'. I enjoy this game immensely hence i am on every day since i joined, but as i have previously stated, at this stage i am not interested in running around character roleplaying or joining any of the alliances until i know where my character in the story is going. If something interests me, i respond or ask a question hence my trolling of the forums. And as some people who have been playing this game for a long time, have a request of me, i am more than happy to oblige.

And my last comeback to u is.....MOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think that is his point, and what you missunderstood. He never said you HAD to participate, simply that if you felt so bored and out of the game, you have the option to do so and involve yourself. Noone ever said you had to, nor is anyone implying you should. It's your choice. Nothing else. Hence, if you want to be a cow, that's your choice. If you just want to troll the forum, that's you decision. You said all that, and noone is contradicting you. You are simply missunderstanding their comments.

i dont bully for one. i go by balance when attacking. number 2 i can't check my own fight logs after the fight is over never mind checking someone else's. You seem to think i have imaginary powers of being able to surf through peoples account, in which case if i did i would just check theirs creatures instead of checking fight logs. And this topic has obviously dragged out more than it should have, hence the joke.

You go by balance? Could you further explain that, please? Does that mean you only attack people who give positive honor? If that is the case, wouldn't that only push an already flawed and unbalanced system further down the drain?

I think that is his point, and what you missunderstood. He never said you HAD to participate, simply that if you felt so bored and out of the game, you have the option to do so and involve yourself. Noone ever said you had to, nor is anyone implying you should. It's your choice. Nothing else. Hence, if you want to be a cow, that's your choice. If you just want to troll the forum, that's you decision. You said all that, and noone is contradicting you. You are simply missunderstanding their comments.

You go by balance? Could you further explain that, please? Does that mean you only attack people who give positive honor? If that is the case, wouldn't that only push an already flawed and unbalanced system further down the drain?

Hmmmmm as a cow i never misunderstand anything lol How can i, i am a cow. At least this land has lovely grass to graze.......MOOOOOOO

Heh, I'm back~ Done with the majority of homework not a week before school starts. I'm surprised this topic is still living. It looks like it's gotten a little away from the topic of sethrynn and his views.. n_n;

I have to say, though, that I can understand Faraday's words. Roleplaying, inserting yourself into the adventure log and all such stuff, doesn't appeal to everyone even with the nice bonuses rpcs get. It would be nice to get some more new features for some of the more laidback players. It's reasonable enough for a game to reward active players, but you can't really reprove players who come on every now and then for saying that they aren't really being entertained as things are and suggesting a new feature that would help that issue.

The problem I have with rpcs attacking regular players in lower mindpowers for personal gain (I have no problem with their ability to attack all players in general) is that they, the supposed best in the game, are picking on weaker players for easy gains. It reeks of stupidity to me. It just doesn't make sense to me, when all the other concepts (higher mp levels can't attack lower levels, screwed up honor system which is supposed to stop players from picking on people who have a ton of losses, etc) seem to discourage that. You're supposed to be able to surpass the oldest and most advanced players in this game if you have the dedication and wit, yet if the "best players", rpcs, are told they are allowed to exploit weaker players like that, how?

Really, I'm looking for a reason (or reasons) they're given the go-ahead, but all I've heard that sounds legitimate is that it adds challenge and realism. Legitimate, but weak. I've already ranted about how I don't see how it makes MD more realistic when in real life there are laws to prevent this sort of thing, nor do I see how even if it does add realism, how that realism makes the game better. I read through the posts since that one, and I don't see anyone saying something to the contrary, or I missed it. As for the challenge, it would make more sense to allow weaker players to attack rpcs without the fear of being attacked back (except for other reasons than retribution) than the other way around. Were there every any other reasons stated? If it's to reward the rpcs, that's pretty lame in my opinion. They're the best; they shouldn't need to be rewarded in the form of easy gain. They should be challenged, if anything.

Well! That's my response to whoever asked that quesiton a long time ago. It doesn't seem like things will be changed. I'm (quite bitterly) discontent with it, because it just seems so stupid to allow pointless harm. Honestly, players quit because of this! I would be satisfied if I actually could see a reason for allowing it. But I've said my thoughts and I won't pursue it if no one offers anything to discuss about it; I love MD enough to overlook it instead of quitting like others--though my love is dinimished (greatly) now. I supposed I wanted everything of MD to feel intelligent and innovative.

One last thing: I think, at the very least, if rpcs aren't going to be told that they shouldn't attack for the purpose of sole gain, us normal players should be given the option of attacking them back. After all, that would make things more realistic, wouldn't it? Who knows, maybe any future victims would be able to band up with some friends and defend themselves from those "greatest players" if that option was implemented, though the issue would be resolved in any case if it was officially recognized that rpcs shouldn't attack weaker players for personal gain.

-end-

I agree with Glaistig that it can't hurt to just officially say that RPCs are to refrain from attacking lower MP levels for personal gain (there have been a few incidents). I also agree if I were to be attacked by an RPC for personal game, I wouldn't quit just because I got defeated (that's clearly stupid), but because the fact that RPCs are allowed to do so without repercussions is just plain annoying and pointless.

Likewise, I still don't see how RJ's attacking to "educate" the players or something like that really helps. I do think that Glaistig makes it sound like RJ attacked for personal gain as well, though, when that hasn't been made clear (that I could tell).

And I also feel that the shift towards roleplaying that MD has taken might not fit all players. I think it would be nice if MD could bring more non-roleplaying stuff by, since it's been focusing on it for a while, but I believe that will happen anyway. The part I'm worrying about is having to see half the people I know pretending to be solely in MD whenever I log on, and having to play along with them should I ever decide to communicate with them. Sure, a little pretending is fine, I suppose, but I think too much is possible. I don't want all of MD to be roleplaying.

No, you obnoxious little sprite who can't understand words. I never said that RJ attacked for personal gain. He might've, he might've not. I'm not sure, to be truthful, because he never explained what sethrynn meant by "random." What does random have to do with helping players? I do know that I randomly attack anyone I can to gain stats. But in any case, it doesn't matter much whether he did or didn't; even if he did, it's officially allowed at this point in the game. The issue is that it's allowed, and that's the only thing I cared to address.

Don't say it's not an issue that should matter if RJ didn't attack for personal gain. sethrynn didn't quit because it was RJ who attacked him, but because he thought a rpc was attacking him for personal gain; and that very well could have been even if it wasn't. It's been confirmed that a rpc attacked a weaker player (as in mp3 while the rpc was in mp4) for personal gain only before, and I don't think it's unlikely not to happen again at this rate. I mean, it is allowed. If there isn't any point to it, why allow that? Why allow trouble for nothing? Isn't that an issue?

I didn't say you said that. I meant you made it sound like that. I agree that the problem is that it is allowed, though.

I also agree if I were to be thought I was attacked by an RPC for personal game, I wouldn't quit just because I got defeated (that's clearly stupid), but because the fact that RPCs are allowed to do so without repercussions is just plain annoying and pointless.

Happy? :l

Why you little! It's implied, you little thing, that if I don't say RJ attacked for personal gain, I don't mean that he did. Are you stupid? I say what I mean only, and I only mean what I say. And I say most of what I think, too. Didn't I just say that I didn't care much at all about that, and was only talking about the issue at hand? Why would someone think I'm trying to incriminate RJ when I don't say he's done something wrong?

/is happy now after railing against display of irrational thought by Lu.

Why you little! It's implied, you little thing, that if I don't say RJ attacked for personal gain, I don't mean that he did. Are you stupid? I say what I mean only, and I only mean what I say. And I say most of what I think, too. Didn't I just say that I didn't care much at all about that, and was only talking about the issue at hand? Why would someone think I'm trying to incriminate RJ when I don't say he's done something wrong?

/is happy now after railing against display of irrational thought by Lu.

~_~ I didn't say you meant to. People don't know that you only mean what you say, though (as if). Therefore, I meant that your post was likely to make people believe you were referring to him, and so sounded like RJ attacked for personal gain.

Hey! I protest against this person! "Are you stupid?" Isn't that a slight, for her to ask that (rhetorically)? Offensive as defensive, not a very nice tactic. Just because I'm a relative doesn't mean liberty can be taken like that; would you say that to anyone else? :P

~_~ I didn't say you meant to. People don't know that you only mean what you say, though (as if). Therefore, I meant that your post was likely to make people believe you were referring to him, and so sounded like RJ attacked for personal gain.

Hey! I protest against this person! "Are you stupid?" Isn't that a slight, for her to ask that (rhetorically)? Offensive as defensive, not a very nice tactic. Just because I'm a relative doesn't mean liberty can be taken like that; would you say that to anyone else? :P

Come now, you little dolt. Acknowledge your stupidity for suggesting that my post would suggest to others that I thought that RJ attacked for personal gain. Now, why? Why would it sound like that? A normal person would be able to understand me perfectly. Understand in the first place that whether or not RJ attacked for such reasons is irrelevant, and that I'm logical enough to know that as near anyone would. But I forgive your stupidity. We all have in ourselves stupidity, you know. It's not like the stupid person is at fault, as that stupid person is earnest and honestly believes what he stupidly thinks. It is just annoying. In fact, saying one is stupid isn't really an insult.

Just because you are a relative does mean I have the liberty to take for this sort of message, dear Lu. I am in the process of bringing you up, whereas to others I don't have the obligation, and in fact, that sort of action would be offensive and unwanted. At least on the forums, which isn't meant for that at all but rather the discussion of the game.