Spelling Corrections !!!HEAR ME OUT!!!

Chewett

When I saw the title my heart started beating faster (and my brain cells started screaming:what is going on? Has Chewett gone mad?) but after I have read the post I calmed down:what you propose it's a great idea. It will make a lot of players happy...(if their happiness resides in correct spelling of this game...).

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dst' post='17066' date='Sep 21 2008, 09:34 AM']When I saw the title my heart started beating faster (and my brain cells started screaming:what is going on? Has Chewett gone mad?) but after I have read the post I calmed down:what you propose it's a great idea. It will make a lot of players happy...(if their happiness resides in correct spelling of this game...).[/quote]

Lol Dst - The Post Killer

[quote name='Chewett' post='17978' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:41 PM']lol good point. i would like more opinions, liberty [s]and gla[/s] i would like to hear yours, anyones.

EDIT: i really want anyones opinions on this. im desperate lol.[/quote]

When out of boredom you read the forums, you learn a lot about the game history and the players. Think Glai would say something like this:

[quote name='Glaistig' post='11040' date='Jul 12 2008, 10:19 AM']Well, I've been thinking.. the spelling and grammar errors do make a negative impact on beginning players, or at least that's the conclusion I draw from my own experience (trying to recruit adepts/encountering newbies with complaint). It'll have to be done eventually, and with the above in mind, it might be better if this correcting was done sooner rather than later. It seems like Manu doesn't have anyone he can trust with access to the codes, so I suppose it would have to be done the labor-intensive way.

Just a suggestion.[/quote]

Can't speak anything for him about the idea itself but he seems(ed) support fixing mistakes, so if there is a better way than before... you can guess he would approve. Personally, like the idea, think it would be fairly easy to do with a volunteer team (if you do it for translation, why not for translation of Engrish to proper English?) and the result of a cleaner game would be worth that effort.

Sounds good. Can someone also then Translate the game into Old English.

[quote]"Ye Find thyself in yon Dungen. Ye see a Flask...Whatist thou do?"

- Take ye Flask

"Ye Flask sucks thy soul into it's Depths. Inside ye findith a wee Girl. Yonder waith of a wee Girl asks "Doest thou wish to Join me for a Game?"... How do Ye respond?

- Offer thine Flask o' Mead to the wee Girl...[/quote]

Couldn't help myself :P, though I'm not sure "wee" counts as Old English...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Chewett.

I think it can be a very great idea, try just to meet me ingame, i would like to speak with you a little before beginning this project but if you are really motivated, there is no problem for me !

I m waiting for you ingame.

BTW, if some people want to help him in this project we can create a team for this !

Lady NelyaSetesh

• 3 weeks later...

[url="http://magicduel.invisionzone.com//index.php?showtopic=2263&st=20&start=20"]Honestly, despite this post,[/url] I noticed the game /long/ before I signed up for it. What drove me away at first was really those basic errors I saw when reading around the site.
If you want an opinion on the subject, it feels unprofessional to see that. One or two is fine, really, nothing is perfect, but one like "Enthropy"s entry can tip scales, mainly because after reading it I'm pretty sure that not only was the word you wanted "Entropy", but also because that one alone sports a rampant ~14 in two paragraphs.
I, perhaps we, understand this is alpha and that many people do not have English as a first language. That's fine. Coding coming first is also fine, but to see no progression in a vital- and trust me, it's vital- part of a game will make it worse and when most people see that many/such a critical error(s) they get turned away.
The proposal? I'm really all for whatever will make the game better, because being all for making it worse would be rather pointless as I wouldn't be here to begin with if that was true. So yeah. I probably don't have a big voice here- but I say go for it. You have nothing to lose from even letting others at least keep a list of suggested revisions. If you think that typos "don't affect gameplay", I'm afraid to say that you are sorely mistaken. No, there's no witty comeback line for that one. Yes, it counts.

I agree with... there are many errors in the English, and it should be resolved soon....
And there are other errors, not in English, but some programming errors also, for example when we login in the game but we put the username or password wrong, it appears a little code above the login box...

I think the programmers could spend a few time trying to resolve this little errors and misspellings, because despite some people don't consider it very important (what matters is the gameplay), in my opinion, it is important...

It surely is important, but it's not very exciting to correct misspellings...
if you were to create a game and expand it's functions, would your priority be to expand your own and your games horizon and create new features that need some coding effort and of course the intelectual work that's needed for the script, or would you stop doing the fun-stuff and read through everything you've already done to correct the typos?

i can really understand why those mistakes are still there...

Yes, I surely know it isn't fun and it can take a while to do that, but I think it should be done, and in the future, maybe programmers could try to not make this type of mistakes, if they don't want to get back in the code and correct them, because it's boring to do that, i know...

[quote name='Burns' post='20095' date='Nov 17 2008, 07:35 AM']It surely is important, but it's not very exciting to correct misspellings...
if you were to create a game and expand it's functions, would your priority be to expand your own and your games horizon and create new features that need some coding effort and of course the intelectual work that's needed for the script, or would you stop doing the fun-stuff and read through everything you've already done to correct the typos?

i can really understand why those mistakes are still there...[/quote]
It's all up to the individual developer in the end, but I always had a sense of perfection and pride whenever I did coding of my own. It was never enough to get the assignment done, to get the code to take the number you put in and multiply it by whatever, I had to create an introduction explaining what the code would do, I had to engineer safeguards for strange inputs and create long messages detailing errors and the like that would arise from them and how I fixed them, I had to make every sentence and word and input box look good, line up, and just otherwise be perfect to me. I was never stuck on any error for too long, because when I did get a logical error I would turn on massive sets of commentary debug code that would announce every single action as it was being done and no error could hide behind a flood of that for very long.
I'm not a programmer in skill really- I'm much more a designer, but I understand that there's more than one way to look at things or take pride in what you do. One way is of course to expand and change the game as much as possible, one way is to get the rag and typo-b-gone and polish what you've got to crystal clarity. Besides, as boring as typos are, they can be a load off sometimes too. It's not terribly complicated or game shattering to hotfix a period into a sentence and you feel better for having done it. If you're not feeling to full capacity but still want to work on the game, it can be as far as cathartic to go hunting into code that ultimately won't make the world implode by accident as you change it.

but still, as you have said, it's up to the indvidual coder to do so^^
of course, if you just need a pro to do some maths, you can take your time to polish it up a bit, that's what i did in my classes most of the time because coding maths-problems is not that hard xD
but manu is NOT coding a pro that multiplies whatever you put in, that realm he created is much more, and it takes much more time just to figure out what's coming next, i wouldn't want to know how much lines the illusions take... and there, logical errors make your script break down, and not just get the solution "can't solve" or "syntax error"...

i guess that manu is kind of absorbed with the illusions without correcting typos atm...and when that's finally done, he will be busy with madmans or whatever hides behind the gazebo of chaos or golemus and necro creatures, so i guess the typos will stay there for some time xD

and, just to destroy your illusions: atm, manu is doing it all by himslef and doesn't give the source to anybody, not even dst and shoeps, so why should he give it to normal players to mess it up while trying to correct typos?

[quote name='Chewett' post='20262' date='Nov 18 2008, 05:50 PM']i have spoken with him and because the english is used as the "keywords" in the game engin much of it cannot be changed[/quote]
Yeah, I suspect "enthropy" is suffering from that. Creative license though, could call it "goswaddle" for all we can say. Just good to see progress.