University vs Dojo

Universiy  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Root Admin

i am a bit confused, dojo is part of the university, its the university itself? lets talk a bit about this.
To have a university in game with teachers on all kind of matters is something i will fully support, but this university should not be about game related matters. I think dojo should be training school for game related matters and the university should be about more real matters. I plan to add a personal doc special or the university that will allow teachers to prepare their lessons. Also the university should be located in MDA but with offices in other lands too. I think shifting the lessons place or organizing conferences on different matters in different locations is a good ideea.
A special set of powers could be creted for university members to allow them better organizing of such events.

Dojo on the other hand should be like second level LHO and help players learn how to fight but also prepare them for the role playing.

The interface support for such a thing (both university and dojo in an organised way) involve a lot of changes and finalization of the archives doc system. I am willing to focus on that because i think that if this game evolves towards this university thing it will be simply amazing.

However, university should remain an isolated group of schools. players shold want to get into the university and not find it everywhere like a group of fanatics trying to teach things to people that do not want to. Entrance to the university should be sort of a quest and target, in that way players will fight their way in and have a lot more respect to the teachers.

The new voting system i finished recently could be used to mark the teachers and not the student. the students should not get marks, but the teachers should.

This game is the very first game I have played that actually boasts a higher % of graduates and university-going lads and ladies, than any other game.. A higher % than the real world I might even add..
So I guess it would be a good move to let teachers, teach on real life matters, I know I would like to try my hand at preparing some philosophy lessons ;)
Because really, the way people hold their debates these days in the live chat, just jerks and tears at my philosophical heart :'(.
Teaching real life matters, could still hold a good value for role players and the game in general, although, it would be wise to separate the 2. Less confusion.

When I brought the in-game subject up I was thinking it would be an in game extension of some of the school of thought exercises and other philosophical lessons, completely separate from the dojo. The dojo may also have some philosophical lessons, but for the most part, its role is to teach combat and balance. The university should be much more than that. It may have some lessons on game principles, but I've found these school of thought subjects very interesting and I was thinking it would cool to have a place in the game where this could be more immediate and interactive.

Are you sure MDA is the best place for it? The Sages' Keep seems like it would be ideal. If it were in the MDA Lands, it should probably have its own building, don't you think? The archives seem like an ill-suited place for such an endeavor.

Perhaps there should be a branch of the university dedicated to helping players learn how to role pay a bit better, as like myself I am sure many of you are fed up of seeing people drag out outlandish role play fights to such ridiculous extents. People need to realize that the art of role playing is not just about being the ultimate being in the land, its about giving and taking in small bits... If someone does something to make things a bit more interesting don't automatically be a killjoy for them, play along with it as it adds to enhance the experience that is Magic Duel. I could give numerous examples of this but I don't its required as EVERYONE has seen this happen at least once...

In short I believe we should have a group of the advanced role players in this game help people learn how to better immerse themselves into their characters and basic role playing etiquette..

I don't think they should be the same.

School of Warfare
School of Learning

I consider the dojo in a way to be a tutorial, and more basic place. It is swamped with newbs constantly. It is difficult to discuss higher level ideas with the constant "Now what do I do", "How do I heal my creatures?", "Where do clothes come from?"

When I think of a school of learning, I want to be away from that. I want to be taught something that I do not know. If it is a university, a place of higher learning...let it have some prerequisite. Players who go there should already have some basic knowledge of how the game is played. I do not particularly want to attend a university with kindergartners running around in the background.

I do not think the dojo and university should be the same. They have separate purposes.

I fully support the Idea of a University, which does Indeed need to be Well separated from the Dojo.

Those who know me know that I often strive to help Teach and Educate people about my Own area of Expertise.

In fact that is my Goal for my Quests, to have something Fun and Difficult to complete, and that Forces you to think and Learn a little as you Complete it. Hopefully those who tried my First Quest (the Puzzles I have used for the Spell Document do not count) realized this, I think it will be Very clear with my Next quest, Whenever I get it done -_-

I can also say that I have often had long Discussions about Astronomy with people in-game and found the Experience very Enjoyable. I hope I was able to offer those who Listened and asked Questions something of Value.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it would be great, I'm am a proud two college drop out yes it got too hard and expensive for me to keep going through the same rigamarole. I have a great gusto to learn items but I like to take my time not a fast track course. I am going to be book smart and street wise.

[quote name='King Manu' post='17384' date='Sep 26 2008, 10:43 PM']i am a bit confused, dojo is part of the university, its the university itself? lets talk a bit about this.
To have a university in game with teachers on all kind of matters is something i will fully support, but this university should not be about game related matters. I think dojo should be training school for game related matters and the university should be about more real matters. I plan to add a personal doc special or the university that will allow teachers to prepare their lessons. Also the university should be located in MDA but with offices in other lands too. I think shifting the lessons place or organizing conferences on different matters in different locations is a good ideea.
A special set of powers could be creted for university members to allow them better organizing of such events.

Dojo on the other hand should be like second level LHO and help players learn how to fight but also prepare them for the role playing.

The interface support for such a thing (both university and dojo in an organised way) involve a lot of changes and finalization of the archives doc system. I am willing to focus on that because i think that if this game evolves towards this university thing it will be simply amazing.

However, university should remain an isolated group of schools. players shold want to get into the university and not find it everywhere like a group of fanatics trying to teach things to people that do not want to. Entrance to the university should be sort of a quest and target, in that way players will fight their way in and have a lot more respect to the teachers.

The new voting system i finished recently could be used to mark the teachers and not the student. the students should not get marks, but the teachers should.[/quote]

When we were first discussing the idea of having a university in Loreroot (the Arcanum), we realized it needed to be linked to the Dojo so that theory could be put into practice (like lab work in RL). We had intended to offer different schools of study, different degrees. The Idea was to offer classes in many subjects that were MD game related. (No offense, but I already have my degrees from RL universities, and I am not interested in studying more along those lines. I play this game to get away from RL, not to drag RL into the game. Besides, how would such a class be beneficial to the advancement of the game?) I would be very interested in earning an in-game degree in wizardry, or Alchemy, druidism, or perhaps in combat tactics.

The number of degrees and subjects that could be studied are as diverse as MD itself and could contain the classes for the creation of new quests, creatures, inner and outer magic spells, armor, weapons, magically imbued items, and even exploring (beyond current map borders) by the students in attendance. In order to be given a license to begin a new alliance or guild, a player would need a specific degree (i.e. for a religious order; a theology degree). For a player to be allowed to create magic spells (written on scrolls so that anyone with high enough principle stats could purchase from the MD shop and use a limited number of times), would also require a particular degree.

The classes themselves would be in written form, prepared and edited prior to it being offered. That way the students could read the class while waiting for the clock in Wind Sanc, or while hanging out in front of Willows, instead of being forced to be online while a live lecture was being delivered (not very practical). Each of the classes could be sold in a special section in the MD shop, and then the instructor/ instructors could be found when online and summond to the dojo for the practical side of the lesson. The live portion of the class would then take place in the dojo, where the students could put into practice what they had studied and /or ask the instructor questions. Upon the successful completion of a degree program and before graduation, a thesis written by each student would be required, as is done in all RL university graduate programs, and those thesis statements would then create a library for future generations of students. At graduation, we had hoped Manu would bestow MP7 status along with spells and additional stat bonuses.

The idea of the university was to create another system to advance all areas of the game by the players themselves' by their own efforts and merits. That way the game will grow exponentially, and not by the effort of only a few. A $1 per class fee could be charged as tuition in the MD shop when the classes are purchased, that way instructors could be hired from among the players to create the courses, so that they are rewarded for their efforts as well. The tuition would hopefully insure a serious attitude but allow for each student to advance at their own speed, and also allow for it to remain free (voting credits). I still hope these ideas could be put into practice. I would be very interested in hearing what you all think about this kind of university.

[quote name='Blackthorn' post='18948' date='Oct 27 2008, 04:36 AM']When we were first discussing the idea of having a university in Loreroot (the Arcanum), we realized it needed to be linked to the Dojo so that theory could be put into practice (like lab work in RL). We had intended to offer different schools of study, different degrees. The Idea was to offer classes in many subjects that were MD game related. (No offense, but I already have my degrees from RL universities, and I am not interested in studying more along those lines. I play this game to get away from RL, not to drag RL into the game). I would be very interested in earning an in-game degree in wizardry, or perhaps in combat tactics.

The number of degrees and subjects that could be studied are as diverse as MD itself and could contain the classes for the creation of new quests, creatures, inner and outer magic spells, armor, weapons, magically imbued items, and even exploring (beyond current map borders) by the students in attendance. In order to be given a license to begin a new alliance or guild, a player would need a specific degree (i.e. for a religious order; a theology degree). For a player to be allowed to create magic spells (written on scrolls so that anyone with high enough principle stats could purchase from the MD shop and use a limited number of times), would also require a particular degree.[/quote]
I agree completely, and would love to be a part of developing such a university.

I once worked in academia and still have a number of friends who work as professors, and I think it would be very dangerous to the reputation of MagicDuel to have it address RL issues in any detail. I would far, far rather see an in-game school advancing the setting and game mechanics as BlackThorn describes.

• 8 months later...

It would seem that the University will not be happening, unless I am mistaken.. There are many people I have seen and as you can see on the forum offering their help and support yet for quite some time nothing has come of it, Granted Calyx hasn't been around too much but whats to stop others from trying to make this work? Most people seem to Agree that this is a good Idea but Nothing. No Lessons, No Classes... We have had the odd Lecture from Mur, but thats about it.

Is this merely another great idea that people support just enough to gain more popularity but not enough to actually make it work? Yet another tool for people power mongering whom will do nothing now that they have what they want?

i think the great issue with university is simple: there are no teachers willing to do it...

this game is full of most witty people from all over the world, who cover vast fields of education, jobs, religions, etc.etc.
so whenever you want to teach something, it's either so deep in details that nobody will be able to follow and most won't be interested, or it's a very general lecture and most listeners will most probably know more about it than the teacher tells, and when he goes into deeper details for the ones who already know a lot of the matter, he will lose the interest of the rest, and BANG! chaos.

for example, i could tell you all about the mating habits of the european swamp-fly (i couldn't, and i have no idea whether that creature exists, it's an example :)), but nobody would be interested, or i could tell you about flies in general, and some insect-nerd who listens would then start an experts-dialogue with me and all the rest would get lost on the way...

it's very very hard to find a topic of general interest, and have a crowd listening to you with totally different knowledge about that matter, and all that in a lanuage which is neither the teachers nor the scholars native tongue...
it can only turn out to be a mess imo...

that's why lots of people offer private help on the game and lots of people get engaged into highly philosophical, political or scientific discussions by mere accident somewhere, and nobody holds a prepared lecture on things with the intention of catching masses... it just workd better that way