Abuse Of Reputation On Profiles

SageWoman

[size="4"][/size]

I do not know who is marking my profile with bad reputation but I want a stop to it. I have not been posting on the Forums that much do to moving and when I put a friendly complaint in my status message, it went from -9 to -10.

My profile is about me and my character. I do not flame anyone and most of my postings are done with humor. The Forum is for expressing ideas and opinions and I do not believe players have to be given a reputation rating because someone does not like what they wrote. The Forum is for sharing ideas, projects, quests and even disagreements. Freedom of Speech is being violated here.

No where on my profile does it say WHY the reputation has been marked and by whom. I believe this has become an abusive ability of Moderators and respectfully ask that the negative reputation be removed. Personal feelings and egos should have no place in the Forum.

[quote name='SageWoman' date='23 August 2009 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1251036078' post='40054']
[size="4"][/size]

I do not know who is marking my profile with bad reputation but I want a stop to it. I have not been posting on the Forums that much do to moving and when I put a friendly complaint in my status message, it went from -9 to -10.

My profile is about me and my character. I do not flame anyone and most of my postings are done with humor. The Forum is for expressing ideas and opinions and I do not believe players have to be given a reputation rating because someone does not like what they wrote. The Forum is for sharing ideas, projects, quests and even disagreements. Freedom of Speech is being violated here.

No where on my profile does it say WHY the reputation has been marked and by whom. I believe this has become an abusive ability of Moderators and respectfully ask that the negative reputation be removed. Personal feelings and egos should have no place in the Forum.
[/quote]

Sage I constantly get negative reputation. I am at -77 at the time of this post. Which is retarded. I almost always am on topic, and the occasion that I'm not I don't get a negative counter. If people are going to go around hunting my or other posts please try to be unbiased and think about whether or not I am spamming, which is what the counters are for.

• Root Admin

[quote name='SageWoman' date='23 August 2009 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1251036078' post='40054']
[/quote]

I have looked through your rep and have told you several times most of it is from the dojo violator banning. And someone has given you one for this topic as well.

[quote name='Fenrir Greycloth' date='23 August 2009 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1251037393' post='40056']
Sage I constantly get negative reputation. I am at -77 at the time of this post. Which is retarded. I almost always am on topic, and the occasion that I'm not I don't get a negative counter. If people are going to go around hunting my or other posts please try to be unbiased and think about whether or not I am spamming, which is what the counters are for.
[/quote]

Its intresting that both the lowest rep people have raised the issue

But what does everyone think?

Also if you think people have been marking lots of your posts negitively pm me. For i will be able to what posts have lots lots. Fenrirs and Sages Posts have been done by lots of different people.

Edited by Chewett

Does reputation affect anything? If not, why do you care? If it does mean that much to you then try to look at which posts have negative reputation and then figure out why they do. I don't really see this as an issue that deserves time spent on it, complaining about it will just get you more negative reputation probably.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Jester' date='23 August 2009 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1251038476' post='40058']
Does reputation affect anything? If not, why do you care? If it does mean that much to you then try to look at which posts have negative reputation and then figure out why they do. I don't really see this as an issue that deserves time spent on it, complaining about it will just get you more negative reputation probably.
[/quote]

It effects Nothing. It is merely Cosmetic.

[quote name='SageWoman' date='23 August 2009 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1251036078' post='40054']
[size="4"][/size]
1)Freedom of Speech is being violated here.
2)No where on my profile does it say WHY the reputation has been marked and by whom.
3)I believe this has become an abusive ability of Moderators and respectfully ask that the negative reputation be removed.
4)Personal feelings and egos should have no place in the Forum.
[/quote]

1)Exactly! Rep is a way for the users to express their feelings anonymously (it's their right - that's why we have secret votes and such).So denying it would be a violation of other freedoms.
2)That's the hole purpose.
3)Are you kidding me? What in the world have mods to do with YOUR reputation? Do you think we chase you all over the forum and give you negative points? Shish...
4)The forum is exactly the place to display your ego. In game you cannot do it cause of the limited interaction. But forum is the place to show your ideas (as you have said). And ideas cannot be presented blunt..without the touch of each one's personality. In this way you show part of who you are (moreover:we do not RP on the forum) and this game is full of players with big egos.

me thinks that Sage's rep suffered under the BloodPrinc issue, and that Fenrir is constantly posthunting with either useless or off-topic posts, in worst case both, and deserves all the rep people give him...

i like the system, though i don't think it's necessary to store an overall-reputation on the profile (it's fun to look for people's overall rep sometimes, but eh, not really that interesting)... i like it more that i can see how other people judged a specific post, to see whether people in general think it makes sense, it's a good read, it's a nice point... of course depending on what the topic is about

and it's a nice tool to 'punish' crappy posts or things you just wholeheartedly don't agree on/dislike/think to be stupid, and it reveals quite a lot about what people think of a topic, even when you can't see who gave that rep...

me likes in general, but thinks the overall counter is more of a toy than a feature

[quote name='Jester' date='23 August 2009 - 09:41 AM' timestamp='1251038476' post='40058']
[/quote]

I care because I do not like looking at RED with a negative number like (looks) -11. Takes me back to my school days (shudders). I personally do not like it and voiced my disapproval of the practice.

Just for a test, I have given you a negative rating. Now add to that by other players and look at your profile daily. Now when that number gets to "Excessively Bad", wouldn't you be a little hot under the collar?

Takes the whole fun out of posting and having a profile on the Forum.

By tomorrow I am sure my reputation will be "Not recoverable" or even "Melt Down".

personally i dont care what my rep is, sure it's nice for it to be i think 14 atm, but still i really dont care, seriously, everyone that reads this, Please vote this post negatively, in fact go search any posts of mine and vote them neg as well

Sage, if you dont like the neg rating, make a good post, or reply to something with a good post, then you'll get positive votes on your posts and not be in the neg anymore, Chew has told you why you have the neg, so post good things

If you think back to school, if someone gets a bad grade and they dont like it, what do they do? they work harder and try for a better grade next time

Edited by Grido

[quote name='Grido' date='23 August 2009 - 07:01 PM' timestamp='1251072061' post='40135']
personally i dont care what my rep is, sure it's nice for it to be i think 14 atm, but still i really dont care, seriously, everyone that reads this, Please vote this post negatively, in fact go search any posts of mine and vote them neg as well

Sage, if you dont like the neg rating, make a good post, or reply to something with a good post, then you'll get positive votes on your posts and not be in the neg anymore, Chew has told you why you have the neg, so post good things

If you think back to school, if someone gets a bad grade and they dont like it, what do they do? they work harder and try for a better grade next time
[/quote]

Nah, I just let the air out of their tires or in this case, take the principality hook-ups out of intergalactic space ships. XD

• Root Admin

[quote name='Grido' date='24 August 2009 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1251116883' post='40153']
i have issues with the rep on the post that i asked for people to vote neg on.....at least one person voted neg, and yet it's at +1.....my point as to not caring and nor should other people stand though, it's a nice fun little feature
[/quote]

:P tisnt our fault we never do what you say. It was at -1 when i plus repped. Yet now its +3. Thats pretty good.

WHY ARE PEOPLE POSITIVE VOTING!

hmm, good reverse psychology though :P

EDIT: Just looked at my overall Rep of +3, it used to be like 14 :D, nice going to whoever was searching my older posts, keep up the good work!

Edited by Grido

I think SageWoman has a point. Reputations are important to one's psychy. Anyone who thinks they don't have an ego, must think again. We all have egos that need to be stroked...it is human nature.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power, corrupts absolutely."

I do not know if this is a cultural difference in what one perceives as an ego. One person thrives on negativity, the other does not. What other people think of us does indeed matter, no matter what we say to the contrary. Some egos bruise easily, others are not bruised as easily as others. Just some food for thought.

[quote name='Chewett' date='24 August 2009 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1251155730' post='40193']
Look at Jonn, he had a very bad rep (which was actually a very good one, if that makes sense) and he still did his job well
[/quote]

Well of course he did!John was a very, very, Evil little man who made slippers out of the rodents! John and a God complex to which we all pandered too. No wonder he kept getting nose bleeds! (I love you, John, no matter what these others have to say.

Sage

I must now find Grido's posts and mark them positive... How troublesome... And yeah, couldn't care less about reputation. You seem to think they're unwarranted, fine, but if that's the case why bother? I enjoy seeing some of my posts positive, but couldn't possibly care less about the over all.

this isnt fair.....i'm on +23...from +3 earlier today.....you people are doing the opposite of what i say....

right, everyone click positive rep on this post!
*hopes reverse psychology still applies*

EDIT: +29.....

Edited by Grido

That may have been entirely me. I'm also not so sure the point of this is to actually have you get negative reputation. Regardless, I must give positive reputation... Also, posting here a few more times would be very helpful. If you would cluster your posts better it would help out a lot.

*sigh*
Isn't it simple? A person's actions determines what others think about him/her. If one does what others deem as unfit, it can't be helped that they will not think so highly of that person. This system is just an extension of human nature (except for those instances like jonn, where his rep is kind of a running gag). If someone doesn't want to be thought of badly, don't do thinks that might give them reason to.