Races In Md

Sharpwind

Races in MD  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Currently one can find, through rp, many races in MD (vampire, human, angel (celestial being), werewolf, demon, ghost, elf, dwarf, faery, lich,...)
but none is established (to my knowledge) or has common features

We could have some established races (that would give a tag and perhaps an ability or attribute), recognized by the King and add more on demand, provided a number of players support that race

So one could choose (at any point) entering an established race (with the benefits it gives)(or creating a new)
That way everyone would have a tab with their race and description and find others like them

(that way there can be also rewards and wanted signs for those that target a race
for example the one who defeats the more orcs takes the title orcslayer and is automatically wanted from all the orcs)

Just an idea

This idea has been brought up before.

The purpose of papers is to be able to create your own story. If we limited what people can choose, there would be less new blood. however, it would have a few benefits as well. A much more precise and dedicated following for instance.

As for the stats, the stats would not matter unless thy grew in proportion to your account. Like increasing with each mp, or growing via a percent of the total accumulation of your stats.

What is different from MD is that it's (supposedly) not the typical fantasy world with standard creatures and races like orc, elfs, demon etc. Everyone starts as a normal human being (well, some are animals) who got stranded at the paper cabin. I would hate to see MD filled with even more demons than the ones claiming they are right now.

Oh look, Fenrir is still here. I thought you quit?

I would say it's never going to happen. If you look back at Mur's original ideas about the game, he did not want ANY of the "fantasy" races. It's only because they keep popping up that he gave up trying to control us.

But officially recognized? I would say never. And I like it that way. I don't mind sharing my opinion: I strongly dislike the "fantasy" that people try to incorporate into their characters. I find it like trying to shove a shoe into a keyhole when a key is needed. Essentially, people try to be creative, but in the end they just go overboard.

This is Magic Duel, not Lord of the Rings or World of Warcraft. Can we move on from those stereotypes please? They're so trite.

Awi

Edited by awiiya

Ninja is a race?

The only things I have against non-humans are: godmod opportunities, confusion and them being more boring than humans.
1. godmod opportunities: I often have the feeling people play another race because it is perceived as more powerful than a human. That is obviously not a good reason.
2. confusion: a lot of races have been portrayed in a specific way in literature often enough for them to be known to everyone. If you play a vampire, I will assume sunlight allergy applies and that would be instant death in MD.
3. boredom: a race is not a background. irl we are all humans (I think) so our biography would not consist of 'he was human, born in 1984, of a human father and a human mother.' Most of the childhood trauma's and happy events can be applied both to human and race X.

As for grouping, why not? I have seen packs of werewolves band together. I've seen creatures who loathe humans. Nothing stops them from roleplaying that. I don't see why there should be stat bonuses though. Such a thing would lead to people picking a certain race because of those bonuses and I refer to point 1. And the orcslayer thing: if you are part of a tribe of orcses, you can list your most hated foe in your papers. Someone once complained hate lists were seldom used for listing hated opponents...

And for cool crossbreed, assuming ninja is a race: ninja pixie! They are stealthy and like to steal domestic animals and torture them to maximize their use. And they throw both pots and shurikens at you, meaning you will get danger from above and the front, try to beat that without wearing your shirt backwards.

ooooh a lot of negative criticism there, I guess I hit the spot :)

Well just to be clear It wasn't supposed to be obligatory (choose established race or create new) and I meant benefits in a more rp way like special abilities
(meaning in rp terms were-wolfs can turn into wolfs, vampires drink blood, hate silver, such things...)

Now stone me :P lol

[quote name='Sharpwind' date='30 September 2009 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1254343757' post='43276']
ooooh a lot of negative criticism there, I guess I hit the spot :)

Well just to be clear It wasn't supposed to be obligatory (choose established race or create new) and I meant benefits in a more rp way like special abilities
(meaning in rp terms were-wolfs can turn into wolfs, vampires drink blood, hate silver, such things...)

Now stone me :P lol
[/quote]
Actually I think the ability to change into wolf form at will should be buyable for a wishpoint or less. It's a minor modification of the frog spell, would be way more clear for roleplay and has been suggested before the wishshop was renewed.
The only downside would be more werewolves, but perhaps we could offset this by making them allergic to silver coins. ie you could kill them by giving them a coin; which would be a coin well spent imo. As for non-shapeshifters buying the 'spell'... that's just silly spending of WP.

Let's get off the topc of killing werewolves... >.> have you no decency, some of us read this ;). Haha, but seriously I like things how they are but it would be cool to have like a standard "werewolf" avatar spell that could be unlocked in the shop as well as others... but you can all send me silver coins and see if it has any effect... i wont mind, promise.

Edited by cryxus

actually, that would not be so much of a frog-spell, but rather customized Ghost/Invis-spell, like the one some RPCs already have...
Would indeed be an interesting idea if the spell asked for the name you want to show in chat, instead of ~~ghost~~, maybe for an additional WP...

that's cause he's an RPC and why i said that this could be an option for wishshop :P
normal players like you and me don't get an option to have a fancy chat name, we are ghosts when using invisibiliy XD

Burns do you really believe that??? That is so untrue it's funny lol. Set some standards and have some believers at your side and you can get changes just as well. Having a fancy name means nothing in this game and if you believe so then you haven't been paying attention too much lol. People get fancy names by doing extraordinary things, they only need to log in to keep that name however... no skill required after that :-P... Someone doesn't have set standards and because of that there is always an issue somewheres in md... no wonder there isn't progression ingame lmao

maybe, just maybe, and this is a really weird thought, some people don't want to use alts just to temporarily change their appearance, and neither want to bug Mur to get special treatments...
the main point of the WishShop, if i understood that correctly, is getting things WITHOUT bugging RPCs and/or Mur himself to get better tools for Roleplaying for your char :/

of course i might be completely mistaken with that opinion, and should just say 'uh, people, i'm in invisibilty-mode now, call me 'god-modder-freddy' until i feel like stopping...'
you know, yes, roleplaying things which are inevitably not true and hope for Mur to notice and make changes til it works is an option, but i'm not sure if that's the best you can do -.-

[quote name='Burns' date='01 October 2009 - 08:22 AM' timestamp='1254378144' post='43375']
actually, that would not be so much of a frog-spell, but rather customized Ghost/Invis-spell, like the one some RPCs already have...
Would indeed be an interesting idea if the spell asked for the name you want to show in chat, instead of ~~ghost~~, maybe for an additional WP...[/quote]
From what I have seen, the frog spell changes the name from Kafuuka into Kafuuka the green or Kafuuka the toad. It also changes the avatar to a frog one. What I proposed for werewolves is a spell they can cast only on themselves, and that changes their name from player into player the wolf. And gives a nice temporary wolf avatar. If the price is a wishpoint, it might be fair to give something more, but I leave that to the stat experts. (imo it would be cool if their armor were changed into wolf skin, but that requires a larger amount of artwork and few people would ever witness it)
The ghost spell is not one I am very familiar with.

[quote name='Burns' date='01 October 2009 - 08:08 PM' timestamp='1254420526' post='43441']
maybe, just maybe, and this is a really weird thought, some people don't want to use alts just to temporarily change their appearance, and neither want to bug Mur to get special treatments...
the main point of the WishShop, if i understood that correctly, is getting things WITHOUT bugging RPCs and/or Mur himself to get better tools for Roleplaying for your char :/[/quote]
The only problem with WishShop is that it can't look at your papers. This spell would be shapeshifter specific and it would make little sense for someone without that background to buy it. Of course a wishpoint is a large enough price to expect people think twice before spending it.

[quote name='Kafuuka' date='02 October 2009 - 02:04 AM' timestamp='1254423871' post='43447']
From what I have seen, the frog spell changes the name from Kafuuka into Kafuuka the green or Kafuuka the toad.
[/quote]
I had falen angel turned into falen quack...