Wilderness Area (Hunting Zone)

Sharpwind

Wilderness area (hunting zone)  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How about creating some areas (one in every land) where the players that reside there get randomly attacked by inhabitants of that land ?

[u]For example:[/u] when remaining in Stag's crossing you get randomly attacked by packs of Knators (of random level) every time the counter resets...

Perhaps it would decrease inactivity and give all players another way of training

There is no such thing as random when talking about software. The best you get is pseudorandom and a 'random amount of knators of random level' attacking at a set time interval kinda sounds like farming to me. You didn't even add random stats and vital energy, so it would surprise me if there was no ritual that could defeat all 'random' combinations of knators.

RP wise it doesn't make sense for eg. guardian of the root to be attacked by packs of knators.

Decrease inactivity? Perhaps but it will not increase player-player interaction. Another way of training indeed, except it is more like the lazy version of GGG. Certainly, someone could break your defense while you are idle and thus mess your training schedule, but some sort of punishment system could be devised so that people could sleep-train in relative safety.

Actually the whole point of a wilderness area wasn't to sleep train
but to create gathering points for people to train with each other and random wild creatures

(regarding rp wise it could be made so (for example) citizens of loreroot don't get attacks in loreroot wilderness area
but can get attacks in necrovion or golemus similar areas)

(regarding farming... if the ritual is random, it could mean random loreroot creature, random number of creatures, stats in regard to the player's level)

no matter how random your rits are, people can farm off them with ease...
unless the attacks are like... 12 freezes and stats beyond any reason and such LOL

When you get attacked by NPCs, it's just farming without working from some strenght onwards, and insanely annoying for anybody who gets their butts kicked by the NPCs

And we have a few gathering points already, we call them Golden Globe Gazebo, Marble Dale Park and Gazebo of Equilibrium, people you don't find there are either uninterested in fighting at all or have some other training methods they wouldn't want to share anyways xD

So... no, completely against it.

• Root Admin

Sounds like all i have to do is idle in one of these places, Free Exp + stats for doing nothing :(

I dislike it just because it would put a lot more serverload, Checking and attacking each timer and such.

[quote name='Burns' date='04 February 2010 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1265304201' post='53822']
no matter how random your rits are, people can farm off them with ease...
unless the attacks are like... 12 freezes and stats beyond any reason and such LOL

When you get attacked by NPCs, it's just farming without working from some strenght onwards, and insanely annoying for anybody who gets their butts kicked by the NPCs

And we have a few gathering points already, we call them Golden Globe Gazebo, Marble Dale Park and Gazebo of Equilibrium, people you don't find there are either uninterested in fighting at all or have some other training methods they wouldn't want to share anyways xD

So... no, completely against it.
[/quote]

Burns, caustic and negative as always :P, I always enjoy your criticism lol :D

[quote name='Chewett' date='04 February 2010 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1265306102' post='53825']
Sounds like all i have to do is idle in one of these places, Free Exp + stats for doing nothing :D

I dislike it just because it would put a lot more serverload, Checking and attacking each timer and such.
[/quote]

idle players could be excluded from the attacks (it could be made only for active players) if it actually has those results (farming)

(I know that in MD there are players that can't be defeated and have so strong rituals and so strong tokened creatures it's impossible to reach them
but if anything that is another discussion. I'm thinking of ways to make md more fun and interesting for most people (give them more things to do!).. I have given up on trying to catch up with immense stat grinders and their farming ways, they increase in strength either way...)

• Root Admin

Excluding idleness doesnt matter, i can still sit there farming exp without doing anything

And think of it like this, Every time the timer goes, you have to check where the person is, Ready up a battle, then attack them, then update the user interface,

Thats a lot of commands,

[quote name='Sharpwind' date='04 February 2010 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1265308600' post='53828']
Burns, caustic and negative as always :P, I always enjoy your criticism lol :D[/quote]

Some would call him a realist. If being truthful happens to be negative, so be it, but please, don't accuse the man of being unduly harsh. Your idea is flawed, and it is his place to point that out.

Awi

[quote name='awiiya' date='04 February 2010 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1265313884' post='53835']
Some would call him a realist. If being truthful happens to be negative, so be it, but please, don't accuse the man of being unduly harsh. Your idea is flawed, and it is his place to point that out.

Awi
[/quote]

Well sorry if caustic and negative offended you in some way

I tried to respond with a bit humor (perhaps my English are not that good, I guess it sounds better in Greek :P)

I respect your opinions all of them and I enjoy debating so to speak :D

[quote name='Udgard' date='04 February 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1265337021' post='53851']
Well, just make it so the battle gives you no wins/xp. Just a place to see your creatures fight? =\
[/quote]

Seems like far too much trouble to go to just to get a bunch of fights on your log that people won't even read after the first few.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this would be a good idea for certain quests, with a few predetermined NPCs (specifically thinking of Burns' Apricot quest).

But definitely not as a regular aspect of the game.
A. It is easy to farm
B. It detracts from one of the best things in MD: All the combat is PvP.

More NPC's need to be added!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't agree more..Maybe the whole idea of a "zone" or "area" or you can call it whatever you like where you could randomly be attacked is not feasible or not easy to be implemented..I accept that it has flaws...But you know..When i had to defeat those guards at the shop..Or the Guardians of Loreroot..It felt good..Gave my a motivation to find the right ritual to be stronger..well it worked..Maybe Sharpwind is stating it wrong...But more NPC'c NEED to be added..Even i am starting to lose interest in the game..harsh as it may sound...

North

More NPCs is not the solution. Why would you go and fight a mindless shade/tree/etc rather then a smart player with a nice ritual that can be improved and all the bla bla? Also, maybe this will work for mp3 and mp4 but for most mp5 players it will take how much? An hour? Half an hour? to defeat those NPCs.

There could be an idea implented like 'daily's, or so. A few sort of creatures that are visible somewhere, protecting something 'sacred, or good(a land, a temple, or so which you can attack every day to grand you acces. but it Should learn from your fights, and try to counter meassure, so that you wont always win when you found the right strategy.

This way there are more fights to be done without players, a few extra tricky things to get somewhere, and perhaps a add for some quests running.

ps: If I remember right, there was a sort of 'ghost spirit, near paper cabin, next to the clash of ages, so once in a while a person appeared which you could attack, and dissapeared when the player was not there..., something like COULD have some nice effects:)

that was no ghost, though that a mistake anyone could make...

That figure was the now banished Wodin Ullr, one of the earliest tries to make story come to life
He was a leader of the shade war, and as MD-Char, his place was the road of battles so newbies would notice him and get integrated with the story right away.
Thing is, Woody left, and Mur wanted the character to stay, played by somebody else who already had another character, which was an epic failure, the people who tried had not enough time to play two characters efficiently, and those who had time én masse were not suitable for filling his spot...
But that's not the time to talk about old stories...

Long story short, Woody was not there for you to train on, he was set to have stats and creatures that made him totally superior to any bypasser and dealt pretty high skill-damage to the morons who tried to hit him