Forging Or Not?

Shadowseeker

This is a simple and yet really really hard contest.

I have a bar of pure iron, which I would love to see forged into a katana...the issue lies within the fact that I myself do not have the skill. I tried for a long time with some other things, but I would only produce third-rate work.

So, the contest is one of persuasion:

Why should YOU out of all receive my Bar of pure iron?

It's up to you what you promise and what not, but one of the most valued will probably be the one trying to forge it for me.

However, once you manage to convince me giving it to you, it's up to you what you do: Whether you do try to forge it, or just keep it, or sell it, etc.

Since I only have one bar, only one person can win. As for what, I shall not say, it depends on what is done.

S

[quote name='Shadowseeker' date='06 February 2010 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1265478558' post='53937']
This is a simple and yet really really hard contest.

I have a bar of pure iron, which I would love to see forged into a katana...the issue lies within the fact that I myself do not have the skill. I tried for a long time with some other things, but I would only produce third-rate work.

So, the contest is one of persuasion:

It's up to you what you promise and what not, but one of the most valued will probably be the one trying to forge it for me.

However, once you manage to convince me giving it to you, it's up to you what you do: Whether you do try to forge it, or just keep it, or sell it, etc.

Since I only have one bar, only one person can win. As for what, I shall not say, it depends on what is done.

S
[/quote]

Well since you have had difficulty with accomplishing your task of making a katana, I will offer to make it for you and place it in your astral interactive inventory. Shortly there will be many things that will be possible to do through the interactive inventory, I would even throw in an action for your sword to perform if you can come up with something interesting for it to do.

Cheers,

Cutler

Weell... I have a Transposition Principle of 341. :)

I could prob do what you are asking :))

Actually, I changed my mind, I would use the bar of pure iron to create a switchblade for myself for protection against the wild Knators in LR. And for sacrificing more easily, because at this point I am only using my hands and well, things sometimes get messy... *coughs*

Edited by Yoshi

[quote name='Shadowseeker' date='07 February 2010 - 09:22 AM' timestamp='1265534561' post='53965']
There's a reason why I didn't contact them when I saw them, plus I don't..notice any constant presence, at least not enough.

It's also about fresh blood.
[/quote]

Well, I am not into any of that blood ritual stuff. If you want your katana created in some strange ritualistic way, getting someone else to help would be a better option. :)

But if you are looking for someone with a presence in MD who can help you for real, I am definitely your man.

Cheers,

Cutler

I don't see a katana coming from the bar of pure iron alone, but if you add your other items(ebony plank and silvery sphere, if you still have them) and probably a wp to spare, I'd be more than willing to create an awesome katana for you. I seriously need the experience, for personal reasons.
If you give me the iron alone, I'll turn it into a scythe for myself. Atleast, it'll still be turned into a cool weapon. :))

Those are what I can assure if you give the your item. That is unless someone is crazy enough to trade it for a rusty.. :)

Redd

I could take the bar of iron, then find someone with a Katana and whack them in the head with the bar of iron until they give me that Katana. Then I would use the Katana I stole to force someone else to forge a Katana from the bar of iron. If they ask for a Wish Point I'll slit their throat.

As long as you only have pure iron for a Katana you shouldn´t even think about it, because the sword would be to stiff and break easily. A good blacksmith would need carbon as well to make an alloy and only then the sword would be a success. So you should give it to me, I will seek carbon and a good blacksmith and let you forge the sword. You might reward me maybe then if you achive a real nice Katana, with the pure power of Blackwood within ;)

Well let see. Im the best man to give the iron to because, i will just be relieving you of your burden of what it will be changed into. Just give me teh item, and voila, no more burden.

A katana is made from two types of steel: high-carbon and low-carbon. Low-carbon steel is hard, sharp, and durable, but brittle. High-carbon steel (or, to the extreme, superplastic steel) is very resistant to fracture, but will not keep a sharp point, and bends easily. The solution is to work the low-carbon steel around a backbone of high-carbon steel.
The curve of the katana is made by rapid cooling in water; the two different steels have different contraction rates.

As the bar is pure, the hard work of pounding out impurities is done.

I have the required knowledge to create a working sword that will neither break when it tries to cut a block of wood, nor become bent. Of course, I cannot do it myself, as I have no access to a forge.
I would also need a source of carbon: coal, or ash from burned wood. Any wood plank would do to burn.

I'm not asking for the bar. I'm offering to try to do better than you have. Without access to a forge and wood to burn, I don't want the bar; it'd just be a weight in my pack.

Edited by apophys

My proposal has nothing to do with a Katana. As I myself have attempted many times to create things in the forge below the Defensive Quarter and have failed, I have no doubt the only person capable of actually creating it is our dwarven friend who is rarely on. I seek the bar of iron in order to put with my piece of wood to create an icon for the the Caretakers Alliance. A spade of darkness, in which will be the essence of my own darkness infused with the powers of Udgard and whatever other crafters I can assemble for it. As this proposal is obvious, it has no advantages for you, it is only a proposal upon why I should acquire the bar of iron.

*edit for Udgard* is he still around? I made note to check the alliance and only you and Kragel are a part of it, besides algojo who I have never heard or seen of.

Edited by phantasm

[quote name='phantasm' date='15 February 2010 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1266196188' post='54485']
My proposal has nothing to do with a Katana. As I myself have attempted many times to create things in the forge below the Defensive Quarter and have failed, I have no doubt the only person capable of actually creating it is our dwarven friend who is rarely on. I seek the bar of iron in order to put with my piece of wood to create an icon for the the Caretakers Alliance. A spade of darkness, in which will be the essence of my own darkness infused with the powers of Udgard and whatever other crafters I can assemble for it. As this proposal is obvious, it has no advantages for you, it is only a proposal upon why I should acquire the bar of iron.
[/quote]

Well part of the problem may be due to a lack of quality equipment. I don't think this is a spoiler so I can say that there will soon be a high quality forge in Golemus. Maybe that will be able to help.

Cheers,

Cutler

[quote name='phantasm' date='15 February 2010 - 08:09 AM' timestamp='1266196188' post='54485']
As I myself have attempted many times to create things in the forge below the Defensive Quarter and have failed, I have no doubt the only person capable of actually creating it is our dwarven friend who is rarely on.
[/quote]

There is our freezing ninja friend as well, actually *wink*

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Blackwoodforest' date='07 February 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1265578731' post='54012']
As long as you only have pure iron for a Katana you shouldn´t even think about it, because the sword would be to stiff and break easily. A good blacksmith would need carbon as well to make an alloy and only then the sword would be a success. So you should give it to me, I will seek carbon and a good blacksmith and let you forge the sword. You might reward me maybe then if you achive a real nice Katana, with the pure power of Blackwood within :)
[/quote]

So you would one of two things then a piece of coal which only saint nick can give you considering he is the only one with a deed to a coal mine, a very profitable one at that :)) . Or you would need to build a bon fire with a peace of wood and reduce it to charcoal to extract the carbon.

Apophys beat me to forging. Though apophys there is a forge to the right of golumus.

Edited by Kamisha

my offer still stands. I got in contact with the Crafting Guild and my item was an acceptable product to be produced. The other materials are gathered, I am only still searching for the metal product. As I Said before, you have nothing to gain from this endeavor, besides having the ability to help create an iconic item for an alliance.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Shadowseeker' date='06 February 2010 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1265478558' post='53937']
[/quote]
A wise man once said you do not own something unless you can give it away. It has been months since you tried to give up your Bar of pure iron,yet you have not managed to. Therefore it can be claimed that you don't really own the bar of iron. Furthermore, transferring non-ownership of any item to me would not harm you, therefore you might as well transfer non-ownership of the Bar of pure iron to me, who pointed out this problem.

However should you prefer to give away your bar of pure iron, the recipient of said bar can only become the owner of said bar if they also manage to give away said bar. I hereby promise to give away the bar of pure iron, should I receive said bar from you, to demonstrate I indeed own such a gift. And I will do so to the first person who can point out all flaws and rebuttals to the above logic. (Thus far I've counted four.)

[quote name='Kafuuka' date='12 April 2010 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1271105268' post='57995']
A wise man once said you do not own something unless you can give it away. It has been months since you tried to give up your Bar of pure iron,yet you have not managed to. Therefore it can be claimed that you don't really own the bar of iron. Furthermore, transferring non-ownership of any item to me would not harm you, therefore you might as well transfer non-ownership of the Bar of pure iron to me, who pointed out this problem.

However should you prefer to give away your bar of pure iron, the recipient of said bar can only become the owner of said bar if they also manage to give away said bar. I hereby promise to give away the bar of pure iron, should I receive said bar from you, to demonstrate I indeed own such a gift. And I will do so to the first person who can point out all flaws and rebuttals to the above logic. (Thus far I've counted four.)
[/quote]

Let's seeee,
1. "It has been months since you tried to give up your Bar of pure iron,yet you have not managed to."
It's not that he tried to give it up, I'm fairly certain that it would be very easy to give it to anyone, it's just that none are worthy of it.

2. "Therefore it can be claimed that you don't really own the bar of iron."
He can still give it away, so according to the above wise man, he still owns it.

3. "Furthermore, transferring non-ownership of any item to me would not harm you."
Perhaps not, but it does not do any good to him either.

4. "therefore you might as well transfer non-ownership of the Bar of pure iron to me, who pointed out this problem."
It is not a problem, therefore he does not have to.

5. "However should you prefer to give away your bar of pure iron, the recipient of said bar can only become the owner of said bar if they also manage to give away said bar."
Errr, where do you come up with the fact that you MUST give it away to become an owner? Even having something in your possession can make you the owner of an item, albeit if only for a little while.

6. "I hereby promise to give away the bar of pure iron, should I receive said bar from you, to demonstrate I indeed own such a gift."
No need to trade it because as soon as he gives it to you, you would become the owner of said bar, but since a promise is a promise I will gladly become the owner of the bar after you. ^^

[quote]A wise man once said you do not own something unless you can give it away.[/quote]

I am going to support Yoshi and say that you have taken this quote out of context. That wise man once said you do not own something unless you CAN give it away. Can is the ability, and I think Shadowseeker has the ability to give away his iron bar (unless there is glue involved?).

If the quotation was, "A wise man once said you do not own something unless you give it away," your argument would be watertight (assuming that quotation was also irrefutable, which it isn't.)

It's hard for me to imagine that Shadowseeker would give the bar to you, as a holey argument is worse than no argument at all. You yourself admit to your logic being flawed.

Awi

[quote name='awiiya' date='13 April 2010 - 02:17 AM' timestamp='1271117860' post='58004']
It's hard for me to imagine that Shadowseeker would give the bar to you, as a holey argument is worse than no argument at all. You yourself admit to your logic being flawed.
[/quote]
Obviously I never intended to keep the iron bar, so there's nothing to loose for me. However considering the time lapsed I think it less plausible for any previous entrants to win than it is for me. And if I did it'd be because it was funny, not because it's logically sound, that was never a requirement.
Anyway there's still one problem nobody noticed and one that isn't mentioned in this thread yet.. and until Shadowseeker says so, you won't know which requests are still being considered.