Loreroot Free Traders Limited

Firsanthalas

Ok, due to a lot of things happening lately I have a proposal.
I've been thinking of starting a shop/merchant service.
Basically, I am asking you to sell or give me items. In return I will sell these items on to people for item creation or quest purposes. The idea is to do it for nominal fees and to try to keep things reasonably affordable.
I'll run it on a non-profit basis, although there will be profits involved. Confused? Well, what I mean is this. Say you sell me something for 3 silver. I will sell it on for 4 or 5 say. I will then use the profits to keep towards being able to purchase further items. I will publish a list of items, cost and subsequent sale prices. That way you can all see what is going on and that it is all above board.
Another facility will be as a trade officer. Basically, if you want to trade, both seller and buyer can transfer items/creatures/coins to me. Once I am satisfied that the arrangement is above board, I can pass things on to both parties. Done deal for both parties. I realise that this will result in an extra CTC transfer, but at least you will know you are getting the creature expected (if a creature is involved) or indeed getting it at all.

This won't work without your help and relies on your good will to a large degree. The more you want for items the harder it will be to get working.

Edited by Firsanthalas

[quote name='Firsanthalas' date='25 February 2010 - 07:16 AM' timestamp='1267103811' post='55194']
Ok, due to a lot of things happening lately I have a proposal.
I've been thinking of starting a shop/merchant service.
Basically, I am asking you to sell or give me items. In return I will sell these items on to people for item creation or quest purposes. The idea is to do it for nominal fees and to try to keep things reasonably affordable.
I'll run it on a non-profit basis, although there will be profits involved. Confused? Well, what I mean is this. Say you sell me something for 3 silver. I will sell it on for 4 or 5 say. I will then use the profits to keep towards being able to purchase further items. I will publish a list of items, cost and subsequent sale prices. That way you can all see what is going on and that it is all above board.
Another facility will be as a trade officer. Basically, if you want to trade, both seller and buyer can transfer items/creatures/coins to me. Once I am satisfied that the arrangement is above board, I can pass things on to both parties. Done deal for both parties. I realise that this will result in an extra CTC transfer, but at least you will know you are getting the creature expected (if a creature is involved) or indeed getting it at all.

This won't work without your help and relies on your good will to a large degree. The more you want for items the harder it will be to get working.
[/quote]

Sounds like a great idea! Kriskah Arcanue is a merchant but I haven't seen her around much. So I would like to sell my bullwhip. I don't use it much. Mur has a tablecloth in his listed items that I could use for the pub. Can you set something up?

I have an 8 foot, black Bullwhip up for sale. I would like to buy items that would benefit my pub. I look forward to seeing your inventory. Mur has items that I would be interested in...One was a tablecloth.

Edited by Chewett

Ok, already received some silver coins and 'Raw Wax' and 'Blackboard and Easel'
I will post a list if and when I start to get a decent amount of items.
If the shop isn't going to take off, I will return the items etc to the contributors (in case anyone was wondering).
I'll try to idle or be active at the Paper Cabin for as much as possible over the next few hours, that way you should be able to donate items if you want to.
I'll also buy items, but please try to keep it to a nominal fee.

The idea is good but I don't understand one thing (I might have not read carefully, so sorry if I haven't): will you choose the persons you will sell the items? Because if you sell to the highest bidder or to the first person that asks I don't see this as a solution. What will stop the hoarders to buy them? Or even a worst case scenario:we know that there are players *cough*SS*cough* that are willing to pay real money for them. What if someone buys the item from you and then sells to one of the hoarders?

My 3 cents

Well you have kind of hit the nail on the head dst. It as I said, will only work with people's help.
To be more clear, I would prefer to be trading items mainly and purchasing/selling raw materials.
The aim is to allow items to move around. Some people may want an item for their character. By trading or donating items it makes it more likely that this will be possible.
I won't take bids on items, but rather I'll try to give them to people who seem genuine. Raw materials could be bought, but given directly to a crafter on the basis of item creation.

I realise that it will be open to abuse and there is every possibility that people will seek to buy items at a low price and then sell them on to a hoarder for a greater price.
In short, neither I nor anyone else can stop that really. But we can refuse to deal with them further and maybe even create a blacklist.
Granted you may get much less than you would selling to a 'collector', but equally, if you later require something, you could end up getting it much cheaper and with a lot less hassle.

Again, I can only hope that good nature wins out and hopefully a collector will be satisfied with only one of each item. I dare say that if not, they are not collecting and merely hoarding, which is of no benefit to anybody at all.

You gave me an idea (actually it's yours) but I want to elaborate a bit: create The List. Give points to players that you trade with. Put it on the forum. And be really strict:one bad trade sends the player to the black list. This way we can all see the traitors(sic!) and I doubt a negative reputation when it comes to trading will help them. We might as well pin the black list.

Also, in time, as situations occur, you can improve the system quite a bit, adding rules or other stuff.

If you do make such a list, I would add the following: What it was supposed to be used for and how it got used. And according to what that is the points change.

Like: 1 point for a quest reward.
2 points for item creation (more selfish reason)

etc

That way you can compare in different point systems, like, this person has never got one item, or has already gotten 5 or so etc.

Ok, I'll have a look at that.
Maybe something like:
1 pt per gold coin/15 silver donated
1 pt per item traded fairly (as in without a load of hassle)
1 pt per raw material sold to shop fairly
2 pts per raw material donated
3 pts per item donated

-5 pts for breaking a trade agreement with a person (proof would have to be provided)
-10 pts for attempting to scam in a trade brokered by the shop
-20 pts for reselling to a collector or for profit in general
-100 pts for stiffing (or attempting) the shop

Bonus points for helping other get items or promoting fair trade.

What do you think? That way an offender COULD buy their way back into good grace, but not without serious effort to do so.
Open to change/comments.

So, basically you're suggesting that we shouldn't try to make a profit?

[quote]-20 pts for reselling to a collector or for profit in general[/quote]

I'd suggest that if a unique item doesn't sell to someone who wants it for their role for a certain period of time, then you open it to anyone.

Raw materials shouldn't be part of this though, just because hoarding raws means less items for everybody.

[quote]So, basically you're suggesting that we shouldn't try to make a profit?[/quote]

No, I am suggesting that you shouldn't buy a shop item for the purpose of making a quick buck. If you want to trade items that you have with others, well nobody can stop you. Infact the shop can even act as an agent to ensure fairness (for a small fee).
But the purpose of the shop is to try to get and keep items moving and raw materials available for item creation. So buying shop items to sell on for a profit and/or for 'collectors' is completely contrary to the shops aims.
I am not trying to stop people making profit. Just trying to make item creation and item flow better.
Think of it as a kind of co-operative. Yes you can go to the independent trader and get better deals. Or you can go to the co-operative and support your fellows and maybe in return get a better deal for yourself at some point in the future.