Quest: The Favor

Chewett

• Root Admin

For the last couple months i have been working on a quest. This would involve several sections including some fighting but mostly a D and D style interactions with "bots". These would form the majority of the quest where you would need to interact with them (in the form of talking, fighting, helping) amoung other things.

Now, here comes the issue. With the latest [s]pointless[/s] announcement, all my scripting, the language detecting and such has been [s]ruined[/s] postponed. After spending so much [s]bloody[/s] time on this quest i would quite like to run it. So, because i cannot run the code that i had written, i look to anyone who might be intrested in helping.

Currently my bots:

Log on at specific times and specific locations
Move around specific areas
if anyone in chat mentions their name, they would say their usual "stuff" and if any keywords are mentioned it would start several different things.
check battle status for losses and such

So, if anyone is interested in helping out my quest, i might still be able to run it as it is (although my rather large amount of coding is now useless) but if there is not enough people, i will need to adapt it (more time spent on a quest that was planned to be lauched once i'd picked the bots names and got them to their respective places)

Gotta love New features eh? They just screw you over...

Contact me via Pm if you want to help, i shall give you more details there

Depending on your means it might be simple to remedy. With enough servers/proxies, you could let them be online 24/7 and say the right stuff only at the right moment?

It's a bit tricky to say much since i haven't actually tried to make a bot for MD yet, so I don't know all the troubles of keeping them alive and what they can and cannot do. I imagine talking in chat is easy, but moving around seems less straightforward to implement?

• Root Admin

[quote name='Kafuuka' date='09 August 2010 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1281390886' post='65491']
Depending on your means it might be simple to remedy. With enough servers/proxies, you could let them be online 24/7 and say the right stuff only at the right moment?

It's a bit tricky to say much since i haven't actually tried to make a bot for MD yet, so I don't know all the troubles of keeping them alive and what they can and cannot do. I imagine talking in chat is easy, but moving around seems less straightforward to implement?
[/quote]

I Had written it. All of it was done, chat talking was nearly perfect if a little temperamental sometimes (nearly fixed it all up), movement completley done, as was battle log reading. It was going well until the latest announcement that i assume you havent read?

[2010-08-09 20:30:14 - Stage 10]
The login page has been given a security code verification. This appears on all login pages for MD now. If you are unable to log in when entering the correct code or can't see the code, report it immediately.

I have access to clickables if you need to go down that route, to hold yours scripts/ information
you can still "talk"interactively with them if lots of people have the same clickable with different passcodes
i would obviously be willing to help.

[quote name='Chewett' date='10 August 2010 - 12:00 AM' timestamp='1281391230' post='65492']
I Had written it. All of it was done, chat talking was nearly perfect if a little temperamental sometimes (nearly fixed it all up), movement completley done, as was battle log reading. It was going well until the latest announcement that i assume you havent read?
[/quote]
I read the announcement, that's why I said 'remedy'. It still is tricky to know what can be done without knowing what you already did. The most obvious would be to use a captcha forcer - the new login doesn't look terribly complex compared to some i've seen on other sites - or to NEVER log out. Logging in 'manually' and then letting the bot take over should be possible.
I assume you're not eager to share your code, but if it's in a language I can read, I might be able to help. (ie the more it looks like c++ the easier for me)

• Root Admin

[quote name='Asterdai' date='09 August 2010 - 11:46 PM' timestamp='1281393989' post='65501']
I have access to clickables if you need to go down that route, to hold yours scripts/ information
you can still "talk"interactively with them if lots of people have the same clickable with different passcodes
i would obviously be willing to help.
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, but i already have access to Mdscript and it didnt do what i need/want it to do.

[quote name='Kafuuka' date='10 August 2010 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1281395582' post='65504']
I read the announcement, that's why I said 'remedy'. It still is tricky to know what can be done without knowing what you already did. The most obvious would be to use a captcha forcer - the new login doesn't look terribly complex compared to some i've seen on other sites - or to NEVER log out. Logging in 'manually' and then letting the bot take over should be possible.
I assume you're not eager to share your code, but if it's in a language I can read, I might be able to help. (ie the more it looks like c++ the easier for me)
[/quote]

Im not looking into forcing the captcha because mur implemented it for a reason to block such scripts and keeping the cookie forever had some issues last time i tried it due to how Md's inactivity things work.

I see the reason why he has implemented it, and as soon as he knew what i was doing with playing with the scripts he told me outright he can block it, it just so happens that i had forgotten about this as it was several months back.

• Root Admin

of course this change was not directed against your future quest, its just bad timing (i had no idea about your quest anyway)
assuming you do realize why such a security fix was needed , you may know that logging them and keeping them on is alright because the security fix is ment to prevent fake active days gathering and not to keep player logged out.

kaptcha forcing is a way, one that i will try to prevent, but i might not be able to do so untill your quest is over (or i might, which sucks). If you adventure in that direction let me know costs and i might support them. problem with captha breakers is that there are some that break very very advanced captcha and thats why its pointless to do anything more that a normal image.

or..you could assign the bots to be kept on by several people, and by that enhance your quest greatly and involve a lot of people without losing any of your work....but complaining seems to be easier somehow.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' date='10 August 2010 - 10:41 AM' timestamp='1281433318' post='65568']
of course this change was not directed against your future quest, its just bad timing (i had no idea about your quest anyway)
assuming you do realize why such a security fix was needed , you may know that logging them and keeping them on is alright because the security fix is ment to prevent fake active days gathering and not to keep player logged out.

kaptcha forcing is a way, one that i will try to prevent, but i might not be able to do so untill your quest is over (or i might, which sucks). If you adventure in that direction let me know costs and i might support them. problem with captha breakers is that there are some that break very very advanced captcha and thats why its pointless to do anything more that a normal image.

or..you could assign the bots to be kept on by several people, and by that enhance your quest greatly and involve a lot of people without losing any of your work....but complaining seems to be easier somehow.
[/quote]

Oh im not blaming you, I knew you knew nothing of it, because most people didnt. I was merely working on it to do something during a time when im a little more active.

And you did tell me when i talked to you about it, that it could easily be stopped, So im not blaming you for doing it.

Im very sure i can do it better with people, it will just take a little changes.

Im not entirely sure about your last comment, but it seems to be a jibe at me? im not really sure where that has come from but Meh.
As i will say again for you Mur. Im annoyed, but not at you or anyone else just understandablely so since i have lost quite a bit of time. I shall just try and improve it by changing its format, hence why i created this post.

If the problem is that the bots need to log in, remove it as a factor. Log them in manually and have the bots keep themselves online.
You said they need to log in at specific times, so have them "sleep" when contacted at the wrong time for example.

• Root Admin

[quote name='Rendril' date='10 August 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1281440892' post='65588']
If the problem is that the bots need to log in, remove it as a factor. Log them in manually and have the bots keep themselves online.
You said they need to log in at specific times, so have them "sleep" when contacted at the wrong time for example.
[/quote]

Although this would fix the problem partially, there were a few parts that i actually wanted them to be not there and such due to the nature of some of the parts of it.

I can see that Mur would prefere no "bots" so as i have said in my first post i shall be using people once my quest has been adapted

• Root Admin

Update: Considering the fact that what i had planned is now pointless. I shall be changing the format of the Quest.

Thank you for all of your offers to help, i will probably contact you closer to the time when my new quest is now Laid out. I will be replanning most of it so it can work within the new secure system.

Due to my now lack of time because of an increased amount of working hours the quest will likely take a little while to be re-written.

Again thanks for all the offers to help, i will probably contact you later.