Story Night Returns Again

[u][b][font="Palatino Linotype"][center][size="4"]Story Night[/size][/center][/font][/b][/u]

[u]Original Message:[/u] Many of you may remember Story Night, led by Keith Moon, from a long time ago. You may have thought the times of fantastic tales and poetry told within MD were over, but that is far from true![b] Starting September 18 (Day 260 in MagicDuel)[/b] Story Night will return through the efforts of [i]Kyphis, Awiiya, Curiose, Ailith, and myself[/i]! It will occur once every three weeks on varying days to ensure everyone can participate. Also, in hopes of allowing everyone the chance to join us, the days Story Night happens we will do the event twice within that day. Times will vary throughout the months and will be posted at least a week in advance. In the meantime everyone is encourage to set their creative minds into overdrive and start coming up with original story ideas. [b]Creative stories, poems, narratives, songs, comedic tales, and even some new ideas you might have are acceptable for Story Night[/b]! To get something you wrote into Story Night simply PM Kyphis or me the finished version of your work. [u]Everything written for Story Night should have a lot of effort put into it, not just something you whipped up at the last minute[/u]. [b]Stories that are especially good may be awarded a Wish Point from one of the Kings; Yrthilian, Lifeline, or Firsanthalas if they believe it is worthy of one[/b]. Story Night has a flexible ending time so as to fit as many of your creative stories as we can, but it will try to be kept within 1-hour and 30-minutes. If you have any questions please contact either the Legend Speakers or the Seal of Six. Until then, I wish you all the best of luck with your stories, hope to see you there! (The resurrection of Story Night was approved by its original creator, Keith Moon.)

[u]News:[/u] As you may have heard Curiose will be away for a little while, so we would be very greatful if you only sent your stories to either Kyphis or TGW.

[center][u]Last Story Night[/u][/center]
Both times turned out quite well. Thank you to all those who attended and I hope to see you again. For those of you who shared stories, they were all greatly appreciated. I will be posting a log of at least one event time fairly soon, for those of you who missed it. One last thing, we had some confusion as to how exactly are you to submit a story and when you are to read it. I will be creating a forum for the purpose of showing exactly what you are to do. :)

[center][u]Next Story Night[/u][/center]
[center]Date: Nov. 13th (Day,317)[/center]
[center]Place: Fortune’s Well[/center]
[center]1st Time: 5:00 GT [/center]
[center]2nd Time: 20:00 GT [/center]
[center]Host: TGW & Tarquinus [/center]

Edited by The Great Wanderer

The Legend Speakers are also sponsoring the event with a variety of other prizes, including such things as Credits and Coins, as well as a lot of other special things.

The Speakers will always aim to have a member in attendance to each event, and we look forward to seeing all your various forms of narrative, be it story, song, poem, or drama.

We wish you the best of luck,
Kyphis, Leader of the Legend Speakers

[quote= The Great Wanderer] To get something you wrote into Story Night simply PM [b]Kyphis[/b] or [b]me[/b] the finished version of your work.[/quote]

Please remember to do this, otherwise we cannot include you. :c

I will also be accepting pieces, but please put them in my [b]Forum PM[/b] box so that I can give them to the two stated above.

Thank you.

Edited by Curiose

[quote name='The Great Wanderer' timestamp='1283133825' post='67344']
[b]Stories that are especially good may be awarded a Wish Point from one of the Kings; Yrthilian, Lifeline, or Firsanthalas if they believe it is worthy of one[/b].
[/quote]

What does this mean, exactly? Do they all have to agree on the "worth" of the story? Is there no independent, neutral judge?

[quote name='pamplemousse' timestamp='1283485371' post='67592']
What does this mean, exactly? Do they all have to agree on the "worth" of the story? Is there no independent, neutral judge?
[/quote]
While to avoid any way for people to try and cheat we can't state in public how such a qualitative form of judging will be processed, I can assure you that it is fair, with Neutral parties.

If you want to participate and share what's on your papers, we will still need to have your works so that we can share them because:

1. Person may have wanted to attend, and yet may not have been able to.
2. Something has somehow destroyed your works and there is still a valid copy.
3. For future referencing.
4. To allow judging of said piece if needed by the kings or otherwise.

[quote name='dragonrider7' timestamp='1284258998' post='68261']
I have two of my stories in my papers........my evolution.

-rider
[/quote]

I did not mention this, but I feel that I should say something about it. Though I will be allowing works already created before hand for now, such as ones in your papers... I strongly encourage everyone to write [i]new[/i] pieces, or stories that have not already been introduced to the MD community for Story Night. Thank you.

[quote name='The Great Wanderer' timestamp='1284311062' post='68278']
I did not mention this, but I feel that I should say something about it. Though I will be allowing works already created before hand for now, such as ones in your papers... I strongly encourage everyone to write [i]new[/i] pieces, or stories that have not already been introduced to the MD community for Story Night. Thank you.
[/quote]
Hmm!! I think I recently completed my second story... and i am planning to write the third part of it. You may need to read the first two to get a hang of the third.

-rider

I may attend the first session, however due to social obligations I will more likely attend the second (which for me, will be at 5am)

I wish all the participants the best of luck, and remember that while there are prizes this is not a contest, but a chance to showcase your work within the community.
For those people who will receive prizes, be aware that judging may take a day or two, so watch for an announcement of people who are receiving prizes, so that you can receive your prize from the appropriate sponsor.

Only the one, Awiiya :))
Just come to whichever you can attend

For those who are unable to attend and present your story in person, you are able to send it to me to have it read on your behalf. I will assign a Speaker to read it for you if I am unable to do it myself.

Be forewarned that I (obviously) won't be doing any editing, not even common sense editing. It will be presented in the format you send it.
As your pieces are going to be presented in chat, this means that for each new chat entry you will need to have it on a new line. Chat lines have character limits, and I will be copy-pasting it into chat by paragraph.

[b]Warning[/b]
Remember, even if I Know your paragraphs are too long, I will still present it as you sent it to me. If you are unsure of length, find a quiet spot and quickly copy-paste it into chat to make sure it doesn't cut off, and adjust as necessary.

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

[quote name='Magnus X' timestamp='1284950361' post='68717']
too bad i missed it. :( is there a place where i can at least see the stories?
[/quote]

I am sorry you could not make it, maybe next time. :) Also, we hope to have all of the stories that were presented to be posted in the MD Archives.

I have been informed that due to a hiccup, none of the other judges have been available, and as such I am left, as a sponsor of this event, to decide who gets what of the prizes I have to award.
Because of this, I have decided to be generous, and award [b]all[/b] participance.

Tipu - 5 Silver
Fyrd Argentus - 5 Silver
Awiiya - Choice of 5 Credits or 10 Silver
Curiose - Choice of 5 Credits or 10 Silver

All prizes dispensed, Curiose chose the credits and Awiiya chose to donate his 10 silver to Tipu and Fyrd, so they received 10 silver each.

Edited by Kyphis the Bard

Alright, Here's my suggestion:

I will get getting a laptop here in a week.

For those who are not able to make it to the first two Story Night times, [b]I am Willing [/b]to stay up late to accommodate for time scheduling with issues considering country times and other mishaps that come along.

However... if people seem to take abuse of this generosity and being LAZY and taking away from my sleep, then I will happily keep Story Night at 2 time periods.

It is not determined, but I will be speaking with Kyphis and Wanderer about this when they are available.

• 2 weeks later...

how long should the story be?
because i imagine if we are posting in chat
that would take quite awhile to finish one story (depending on the story's length)
i have an especially lengthy story in mind (it is written in a verse though so i guess it can be posted in chat)

just to be clear

i can send my story to either

Kyphis, wanderer, or curiose - right?

[quote name='Harion' timestamp='1286155541' post='69595']
how long should the story be?
because i imagine if we are posting in chat
that would take quite awhile to finish one story (depending on the story's length)
i have an especially lengthy story in mind (it is written in a verse though so i guess it can be posted in chat)

just to be clear

i can send my story to either

Kyphis, wanderer, or curiose - right?
[/quote]

It depends on the submission. From what I am getting, you will be entering a short story? In my personal opinion I would prefer them to be from around 500 to 1500 words. Any word count around there does not take up too much time and should fit in fine. As pip mentioned, you may do it in parts, even breaking it up to be read through one Story Night just at different times if wanted. (Stories are posted in chat.) Also remember, if you cannot make Story Night, please do not let that stop you from entering a story; we will find someone to read it for you.

As far as who to send your story to, yes Kyhpis, Curiose, and myself are the ones to look to. However, I will usually have the most time to read and respond to entries. Though, many do tend to favor Kyphis due to his vast knowledge and experience compared to me. :D

Edited by The Great Wanderer

Yes. you can send things to us as Wanderer has stated. I am more a messenger, collector, and advertiser of the group. I fill in as Host when needed. for your stories, I prefer you send them to my forum PM box so as to keep better control of yourstoris and not lose them.

i suggest you take yourquestions to wanderer and kyphis.

as for the late night hour, I may have to have it on a sepeateday. I will speak to Kyphis and Wanderer about it.

I also prefer to receive them on the Forum, and I make time to discuss anything that I think needs to be discussed (format, length, etc). Typically, I won't be able to give much advice about composition before the presentation, as I do some judging (I decide who gets what of the prizes I offer), but if you want my opinion on how to improve a piece after it has been presented that is a large part of what I, and the Legend Speakers, are here for :P

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the game being down, Story Night will need to be delayed until at least 24 hours after the server is back up. The new times will be posted in the Mood panel once established.

We will do our best to keep the delay to a minimum, but it is currently unavoidable to ensure that everyone who wants to attend can.

Best of Luck,
Kyphis.

• 2 months later...

[center][b]Next Story Night[/b]

Date: January 22nd (Day 21;)

Place: Awiiya's Way [Right past the MDA gate]

1st Time: 5:00 Server time [for people in the US, I am not sure of anyone else, it will be a friday]

2nd Time: 20:00 Server Time [This day will be a friday/saturday depending on time zone]

Host: Keith Moon and Awiiya[/center]

We've moved our location to Accomodate for Awiiya, for he cannot move. If you have any questions [especially about time, it is quite confusing...], or need directions, please contact: Keith Moon, myself or Awiiya.

Edited by Curiose