Automated "we Miss You" Email

BFH

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was thinking in ideas that could be used to keep players in MagicDuel, and I though this:

If a player gets inactive for a certain period of time, he maybe need something that calls or make him get back.
So I though that if the Council or Mur implement an automatic message that says:

[color="#0000ff"]"We miss you in MagicDuel, please get back."

[promotional material of MD, maybe pictures or interesting graphics][/color]

or maybe

[color="#0000ff"]"We Miss you, You are an important part of MagicDuel, please try us again."

[promotional material of MD, maybe pictures or interesting graphics][/color]

or something like that, and sends it to the players that get inactive for a certain period of time (maybe [color="#ff0000"][s]10[/s][/color], not 10, 60 days as mentioned by many players).

That will help bring some players back.

[b]Possible issues:[/b]

---emails sent to inactive Alts accounts, well the solution is simple:

With the creation of this feature, another feature that allows to disable emails from MagicDuel should be created.

Please post vote and your ideas or possible issues,

thanks

BFH

Edited by bfh lighthing

Well, I don't really like the idea. For one, because if I got an automated message with that content, I'd probably mark it as spam.

What we could do though is send e-mail messages with major updates, etc. This wouldn't have the spam feel and it would actually be useful... Maybe every two weeks, with changes (the announcements) and a short recap what's going on in MD...

The people who are taking a brake from MD could stay in the loop without logging in, and would probably open the e-mails out of curiosity if nothing else...

I really like this idea ^_^

I hate pointing out problems and stuff...

but many players really just use fake emails to create and confirm accounts in games. Hm.. so i suppose an option to change the email you want things to be sent to would be nice (if this isn't possible already.. idk)

I agree with Strider. I would personally be annoyed to receive such a message, and those I know who have left MD would likely feel the same.

I do think Ravenstrider's and Kyphis's respective suggestions are good - if the content is interesting and not purely automated, it would feel less like spam. It is similarly wise to limit such messages to those players with at least a certain number of active days, as some players only try the game for a day or so before deciding they don't like it.

[color="#2e8b57"][i]Its a great idea, but I think the time frame should be lengthened to a month.
People may be away on vacation for 10 days or so, and probably dont want emails saying that they are being missed after such a short time.
Oh and I agree with Kyphis: Accounts passed the 60 day mark!
[/i][/color]

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="#696969"]Personally I don't think such messages do much good. People who left didn't leave coz they have forgotten to log.
But I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

I agree on Shara's and Kyphis' ideas.
Longer absence time and older accounts only.[/color][/font]

umm something similar to this was being done.
The MDA newspaper was suppose to be that sort of email to help
keeps players in the loop but it took so much work that they stopped
doing it.

The we miss you email aspect. I dont know if it would work
i know of many sites that do this and i get annoyed as i left
the game because i got board of it or didn't like it.

It is a good idea but i just dont know if it would work for MD

I would have to agree for the most part that most vets haven't "forgotten" about MD if they chose to leave. MD is a very memorable game, if you have stayed long enough to see the actual workings of it, it will not be forgotten. When I leave it usually means I will never return. Most true gamers are like that. By the time they have gotten to the point of wanting to leave, there is no turning back.

I do want to point out though that the idea itself is very good. BFH you have shown alot of initiative in trying to get activity into the game. That is commendable and for that I hope people use positive criticism in your posts. Trying to help MD is always commendable, and not all ideas are fantastic. Keep on trying and I'm sure you will figure out the right way to show your dedication to keeping MD active.

As yrth said the MDNP was, I thought, a very valuable part of the MD community when it was active. I know I, and I'm sure many others, enjoyed getting the newspaper. The problem was that it wasn't posted on a regular time frame, and became hard to manage and fill. Others have tried to restart it as well and failed. Perhaps you should look into using the MDNP as an advertising tool and explore that avenue. I'm sure Inno and some of the archivists would be willing to lend a hand.

[quote name='Yrthilian' timestamp='1291969212' post='75019']umm something similar to this was being done.
The MDA newspaper was suppose to be that sort of email to help
keeps players in the loop but it took so much work that they stopped
doing it.[/quote]
[quote name='phantasm' timestamp='1291984286' post='75039']As yrth said the MDNP was, I thought, a very valuable part of the MD community when it was active. I know I, and I'm sure many others, enjoyed getting the newspaper. The problem was that it wasn't posted on a regular time frame, and became hard to manage and fill. Others have tried to restart it as well and failed. Perhaps you should look into using the MDNP as an advertising tool and explore that avenue. I'm sure Inno and some of the archivists would be willing to lend a hand.[/quote]

Crossed wires here I believe.
Yrth (i would think) refers to the emails that The Archivists were sending out, with Newslog updates and such.
Phant, you refer to the Golden Globe Gazette (again i think), which never got emailed out

[quote name='Sharazhad' timestamp='1291963493' post='75014']
[color="#2e8b57"][i]Its a great idea, but I think the time frame should be lengthened to a month.
People may be away on vacation for 10 days or so, and probably dont want emails saying that they are being missed after such a short time.
Oh and I agree with Kyphis: Accounts passed the 60 day mark!
[/i][/color]
[/quote]

I think that any period under 1 month is too short; you might have lots of reasons for taking a short absence, also a short period of time might make people do it on purpose so they can get the “bonus material” (Watt sort were u thinking? Time booster, reset codes? – for players that have been long and would like to play it again from beginning)
Also, a news bulletin for players that have been absent for that period of time or longer, when there is new things in game things like that, or special occasions (Halloween, Christmas, etc)
And the 60 day mark may be to long, aren’t most players that quit the new ones? 15 days maybe?

PS: new here, so might not have the correct idea on the “bonus materials” ^^

Edited by Millenium

[quote]Well, I don't really like the idea. For one, because if I got an automated message with that content, I'd probably mark it as spam.

What we could do though is send e-mail messages with major updates, etc. This wouldn't have the spam feel and it would actually be useful... Maybe every two weeks, with changes (the announcements) and a short recap what's going on in MD...

The people who are taking a brake from MD could stay in the loop without logging in, and would probably open the e-mails out of curiosity if nothing else... [/quote]

[quote]if the content is interesting and not purely automated, it would feel less like spam. [/quote]

I really liked the Idea of updated news and material. But if it happens, the group, player or whoever is doing it, needs to keep doing it. (not do it for a month and then stop doing it)

[quote] If this was to go ahead, I'd suggest sending it only to accounts which have passed the 60 active days mark >.>[/quote]

Also a nice idea and great idea :D And I'll edit the 10 for 60 in the original topic :D