Why the sun?

Why the Sun?

Because the Sun likes to play hide-and-seek. But, since it shines so brightly and burns too hot for others to come very close to it, it has nobody but itself to play. So, in order to overcome this, it must pretend it is not itself. But how does it do this?

The Sun dreams.

It dreams that it is each and every being in the universe; the stars, the stones, the animals (including humans), and the plants. In the Sun's dreams it has many wonderful adventures. It likes it so well, that it sometimes cannot recall where and how it hid itself. But, that's also just what it wants to do - for if it found itself to quickly, the game would surely end.

That is why it is hard for us to find it; the Sun is hiding itself in us.

In this game of hide-and-seek, the Sun always finds it fun to find new ways of hiding, and to seek for someone who doesn’t always hide in the same place.

However, if it went on and on forever, it would get very tired of itself. Therefor, there are times when the Sun is, and then there are times when it is not. It is like one's breath - in and out, in and out. If one tries to hold it in all the time, one would feel terrible.

Eventually, the game is over, all of us will wake up and remember that we are all one single Sun - the One that is all and lives forever and ever.

Just like a circle.

And as the Sun goes around like a circle, there will be no particular place where it 'begins.' There is night as there is day; there is waking as there is sleeping; there is living as there is dying; there is summer as there is winter. You cannot have any one of these without the other - for what is darkness unless you had seen it side by side with light, or light unless side by side with darkness? As a circle, it moves from an inner dynamic of cyclical patterns as it carries forth the four seasons in its yearly round. Within this web of relationships and change, [i]its entity can be defined only by its function, and its significance only as part of the whole pattern.[/i] Likewise, all of life goes through the four stages of birth, maturation, decline, and death.

The Sun is also the Self of the world, but it is too 'bright' to directly be seen - and that is for the similar reason that one requires a mirror to see one's own self. This is why many dominating religions are dogmatic and divisive, for they depend on swapping this view for one that separates the believers from the heretics - even though we are all cut from the same cloth. Their institutions demand loyalty to their cherry-picked definitions of 'purity.' Furthermore, no 'creator' would wreck the human mind by making it so rigid and unadaptive such as the ones who depend on any one book, such as the bible, for all of *the* answers.

Words can only, at best, point beyond themselves to a world of life and death and experiences that are so much more than words in and of themselves.

• Root Admin

@Menhir, ..why i ask..well because in a vast complexity of questions and answers that sometimes looks like a dark impenetrable "forest", some questions aim to the end of the road in a straight line. While some questions find their answer fast or get lost in a pool of randomness, other questions take you further and reveal much more. I find this particular one (Why the sun?) to be aiming further away than my current borders. Isn't it then just normal to target outside the borders to see what is out there? For me that's a way of life.

[quote name='Muratus del Mur' timestamp='1310608998' post='87863']
@Menhir, ..why i ask..well because in a vast complexity of questions and answers that sometimes looks like a dark impenetrable "forest", some questions aim to the end of the road in a straight line. While some questions find their answer fast or get lost in a pool of randomness, other questions take you further and reveal much more. I find this particular one (Why the sun?) to be aiming further away than my current borders. Isn't it then just normal to target outside the borders to see what is out there? For me that's a way of life.
[/quote]

Thank you Mur nice anwser. I´m completely with you in this and have only one thing to add to your reply.

The only difference for me in this very moment/phase of my life is that this -> "Isn't it then just normal to target outside the borders to see what is out there?" <- is my ONLY way (only at my momentary level of my personal life). To put it into other words: to leave my own comfort zone and explore the "New", the "Unknown" or I could say to remember the "Forgotten" knowledge wich is hidden deep inside of us, I often need pain and suffering, the so called "bad" experiences to discover what or who I am too!

Menhir

[quote name='Phantom Orchid' timestamp='1310600807' post='87860']

Eventually, the game is over, all of us will wake up and remember that we are all one single Sun - the One that is all and lives forever and ever.
[/quote]

This will happen sooner or later and everyone who is working on his multiple fears will conquer the "new land" wich will appear behind our momentary consciousness.

[quote name='Phantom Orchid' timestamp='1310600807' post='87860']

Words can only, at best, point beyond themselves to a world of life and death and experiences that are so much more than words in and of themselves.
[/quote]

;) thank you! You used them wisely.

Menhir

Edited by Menhir

• 3 years later...

why the sun, an interesting question.

while it is true that the sun is connected to various principles as mentioned before, i think it depends on something else.

but before i will get to this we must indeed ask "what is the sun?".

im not going to get back to the sciency part, i dont know anything about it anyway.

what does the sun symbolise:

to me the sun is a form of lifebringer (altho it isn't entirely true, only in the way it works here the way it does now)

because of it we have a chance of living, from the tiny plant to the big beasts, we all live in the foodchain, depending on one another, if there was no sun, our ecology would change and life as we know it would not be (makes you question if we would have a chance in a sunless world, taking the freezing part out of the equation)

the sun has been pictured many times as (a product of) a god, for the effect it has on our every day life, there is no way to go around its importance.

why did i say it is not a lifebringer, the sun is not an element of good or light, only how it works now to our benefit would make us say that. (if we would look at other planets we would see that the sun would make life inthere impossible)

someone mentioned a possible connection between the sun and heatgain.

it is possible, the sun is an emmitor or various rays, which are in fact nothing else but various forms of energy.

and when do you get heat? when you use your energy: fighting, saccing, binding a creature to you ,...

do we absorb the sun's energy? up to a certain level, yes i believe so.

the question would be then, what would happen during nighttime, would we still gain heat or not.

but more important, why is there a sun?

because we are limited by our imagination.

it is the only thing we know (of a natural form) that is able to do what it does.

the more important question question would be, if not a sun, what else?

or what if there was no sun? 

would we be in endless night then, or sunless day,or...

about the inner sun:

i do believe the sun is a symbol of the centre, the core.

as i described earlier, the sun is not a sign of "light" or its conotations.

yes, the inner sun is neutral as stated before (here or the other topic with Mur's answer)

much depends on where the sun is, or in this case whose sun it is.

as the sun is mandatory to our survival, our inner sun is equally important to us..

it can be compared with our soul,however not entirely correct.

our inner sun can also be a expressed as self knowledge, (and acceptance)

when we embrace our inner sun we are free

these are my thoughts and are most likely completely off the mark.